Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

TRAINING PROGRAMS: START HERE

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRAINING PROGRAMS: START HERE

Over the past couple of years, I’ve posted a lot of material on training and nutrition and answered a lot of specific questions, which has been lost to public view as the SEALSWCC.com forum has been upgraded. I will use this thread to re-post previous items related to common topics and FAQs. I will also try to consolidate other information sources, such as articles I’ve written for the Training Blog or links to other materials on the Web I think are relevant for SEAL or SWCC candidates. Of course, anyone participating on this forum should begin by thoroughly reading the NSW Physical Training Guide. As I’ve stated many times in the past, while I provide information in my capacity as Director of Fitness for the Naval Special Warfare Center, my views and those of authors I’ve selected are open to criticism and scrutiny. This thread will remain locked to outside comments, but feel free to post comments or questions in other threads.
    Mike Caviston
    Director of Fitness, NSWCEN

Re: TRAINING PROGRAMS: START HERE

As discussions arise concerning various training programs and methods, I’ll remind you all to be critical of who you listen to and what you believe. Are you willing to blindly accept any information you find on the Internet where somebody tells you how to prepare for BUD/S? What attempts do you make to validate the information? Who created the page or wrote the article? What are their qualifications? What are they selling? Does the information agree with what is being provided by NSW? If it doesn’t, why would you believe someone else over us? If the program is acceptable for well-conditioned and experienced athletes, is it automatically appropriate for beginners? - These and other critical questions should be asked frequently.

For reference:

Commander, Naval Special Warfare Center Guidance on Physical Training

Command Philosophy

Physical training under the Naval Special Warfare Center embraces the NSW Ethos “We train for war and fight to win”. Our Physical Training Continuum is designed specifically and methodically to progress a SEAL/SWCC candidate to DEVELOP into a SOF warrior across his time in training. The end result is a SEAL/SWCC with the functional fitness (strength, endurance, speed, power, flexibility) to do everything the job requires. Our training is carefully calculated and organized in a systematic and progressive format to ensure that candidates meet test standards and are able to perform SOF-specific evolutions, while mitigating the risk of acute injuries or long-term (chronic) liabilities.
    The Physical Training Continuum is designed specifically for candidate success and begins before a candidate enters the training pipeline and continues until he graduates as a qualified SEAL/SWCC Operator. This is accomplished by proper selection, scheduling, and execution of activities, as well as preparation (pre-conditioning) prior to training.

Guiding Principles

· Benefits Outweigh Cost: Conditioning activities develop the components of functional fitness without increasing or accelerating the physical wear and tear associated with specialized training evolutions
    · Based on Science: Physical Training regimens are based on established principles of exercise physiology and biomechanics (or the logical extension of those principles); do not base practices on beliefs, anecdotes, popular or personal opinion etc.
    · Reduce Injury (near and long term): Enhance the ability to perform job-specific tasks and develop resistance to injuries known to be associated with required training events
    · Build Good Habits: Comprehensively address and educate candidates on physical work capacity, as well as recovery, nutrition, and a lifestyle that promotes long term fitness and performance during training and beyond into the Teams

Supporting Concepts

· Use a variety of modes and methods, intensities, and durations
    · Utilize technology and modern conveniences when appropriate, but have the versatility and creativity to work with minimal equipment and resources when necessary
    · Be innovative, and embrace ideas from other sources (military, athletic, commercial) to supplement traditional methods
    · Provide direction with room for individual initiative, rather than inflexible lists of exercises or a curriculum that fails to adapt and grow
    · Provide education and develop knowledge and skills that will promote career longevity and productivity
    Mike Caviston
    Director of Fitness, NSWCEN

Comment

Working...
    X