Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

Road 2 Bud/s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road 2 Bud/s

I just made a youtube channel basically "Vlogging" all of my workouts. I dubbed it road2bud/s, and if you guys get a chance take a look at it. I know after countless hours on the internet, reading books, watching videos, you tend to see the same info over and over. I figure if I vlog my efforts, I can give my advice out as well as receive some advice from you guys through this long road that so many guys take, but nobody seem to understand (other then us). You guys will technically be my target audience, and since I have been at this for about a year and a half, looking on youtube for BUD/s videos, or other people like us with training tips has become repetitive. I will update as much as possible but remember I am training, studying for the ASVAB, and working so it may be a bit hard at time. I feel this will give a better connection as far as training goes. Most of my recording will be in a gym, I will try some outside in spring when it gets warmer (here in Philadelphia), and maybe some underwater recording if I get the right stuff for my camera. Hope you guys enjoy this, and I would really enjoy some feedback.
    Here is my youtube channel.........

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWLUuwo2b4C3arAp4swxckg
    My youtube "VLOG" page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWL...4C3arAp4swxckg

Re: Road 2 Bud/s

will be interesting to see how it goes keep it up bud. I would suggest find out why it seems your volume is so quiet maybe its just my computer sounds fine with headphones in.

Comment

Originally posted by scott1995 View Post
      will be interesting to see how it goes keep it up bud. I would suggest find out why it seems your volume is so quiet maybe its just my computer sounds fine with headphones in.

Thanks for the support! Yeah I have that issue with my computer as well, but as far as my iphone, and headphones, it seems to sound fine. I'll experiment a bit more with it.

Comment

Good luck to you, man! I'll stop by every now and then to see your progress for motivation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhu View Post
          Good luck to you, man! I'll stop by every now and then to see your progress for motivation.
          Thanks man! That is exactly what I made the page for!

Comment

Looking good!

You are always welcome to come back up for group swim PT and get another dimension to the videos. We have been hitting it hard Sundays at 1100. My camera can shoot U/W.

--Fargo007

Comment

I like what you're doing with the channel, keep up fhe good work.

Comment

Thanks for the support TY93, I will upload as often as possible!

fargo007 I am WAY ahead of you on that one lol. I have a new schedule now because of a promotion at my job. Unfortunately I work sundays in the morning BUT I already know throughout the week you swim different days after work. I am going to be coming up soon, and I was going to get a lifeproof case for my camera /iphone, but it's my PHONE, and your camera is meant for the water so I might need some footage when I go. I'll contact you in a couple weeks to see were your schedule is at.

Comment

We could also do a Saturday if that's better, let me know.

But yeah, a PM swim is fine too. We have five total last Sunday. The largest group ever. It went like this:

1 - Individual workouts - everyone warmed up and worked on what was appropriate for them at their current level. Stroke drills, pullout practice, INT's, swimming on both sides, etc.

2 - Skills practice - eggbeater kick for treading. Those that knew it tried to help the others to get the hang of it.

3 - Group conditioning: Doom ups - This is a USAF thing I believe. A sit up done at the edge/coping of the pool where you sink back in the water until your back flattens against the pool wall, then rise up. 5 Doom ups, sprint 100Y = 1 round. Five rounds.

4 - Team water con: While treading we held a water rescue board with two 10# dive bricks added onto it up out of the water. Five :60 intervals. Put the eggbeater kick to work for sure. This was hard.

5 - Buyout was corner dips x25.

I know some safe underwater 2 man team drills (e.g. advancing the dive brick) we could try that are difficult but fun, and might show up good on video.

I still have your email and I will let you know when we're swimming again.

--Fargo007

Comment

Just re-opening this thread to give you guys an update on my progress. I finally have a swim video up, and I appreciate all the support already from everyone. Here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo8Bq...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Wow, what an improvement from the first time I saw you swim. I still have that video if it's useful to you.

I believe you are faster than you think you are at this point. If I put you in a lane next to a sub 9 rabbit and told you to keep up, I bet you would shave off quite a bit of time.

I see the problem with your turns. You are pivoting to look at the other wall during your turn. I am working with a swimmer who is doing the same thing.

Instead of adjusting yourself face down BEFORE you push off, push off SIDEWAYS, with an ear hitting the water and corkscrew yourself flat for the DA pull by a combination of shifting your balance and producing some rotational torque during the push off. Do not look at the far wall at all during your turn. The time spent doing that adds up to about 20 seconds for a 500Y swim.

You need to stretch those shoulders out. You've got about a 20 degree streamline when a 0 would be optimal.

Overall really well done. Having seen you swim in person in May, I can tell by this video that you have been working very hard on this.

Bravo, and keep it up.

--Fargo007

Comment

Bro your vids are super motivational, keep them up! Your core strength is extremely impressive man, I also really liked your core routine gonna incorporate some of the exercises into my routine. Just a little tip from my personal opinion, I'm more then certain if you were to incorporate more endurance training as in long distance running throughout the week preferably >30 miles a week, along with biking 3-5 times a week it'll definitely translate to your swim time big time, at least it did for me, but I honestly think when it comes to the swim technique is by far one of the most important factors. I would say keep working on that strong double arm pull and your glide and you'll be at 3-5 strokes per lap on a 25m pool in no time. Then again thats just my opinion, obviously*it must be tough with work and stuff but keep up the good work man!

Comment

Originally posted by fargo007 View Post
                          Wow, what an improvement from the first time I saw you swim. I still have that video if it's useful to you.

I believe you are faster than you think you are at this point. If I put you in a lane next to a sub 9 rabbit and told you to keep up, I bet you would shave off quite a bit of time.

I see the problem with your turns. You are pivoting to look at the other wall during your turn. I am working with a swimmer who is doing the same thing.

Instead of adjusting yourself face down BEFORE you push off, push off SIDEWAYS, with an ear hitting the water and corkscrew yourself flat for the DA pull by a combination of shifting your balance and producing some rotational torque during the push off. Do not look at the far wall at all during your turn. The time spent doing that adds up to about 20 seconds for a 500Y swim.

You need to stretch those shoulders out. You've got about a 20 degree streamline when a 0 would be optimal.

Overall really well done. Having seen you swim in person in May, I can tell by this video that you have been working very hard on this.

Bravo, and keep it up.

--Fargo007
                          Yeah you are probably correct in the assumption about me swimming faster if I was chasing somebody with a faster time. It was so obvious when I was done swimming that I must have only gave about 75-80% of what I could have done. I really focused on pushing off the wall, and gliding as long as possible. But I know exactly what you mean about my turns. I actually have been watching the videos you linked to from you tube (about a week ago in another thread) concerning turns, I am still in drill mode with those, but will be looking to throw them in to my swims within a week or so. Either way, thanks a lot for the insight, only because of the drills that you have given me was I able to get this far. I can honestly say I really have been pushing hard on swimming the past 5 months, and have seen actual improvement. Hard work always pays off. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by thegame2991 View Post
                            Bro your vids are super motivational, keep them up! Your core strength is extremely impressive man, I also really liked your core routine gonna incorporate some of the exercises into my routine. Just a little tip from my personal opinion, I'm more then certain if you were to incorporate more endurance training as in long distance running throughout the week preferably >30 miles a week, along with biking 3-5 times a week it'll definitely translate to your swim time big time, at least it did for me, but I honestly think when it comes to the swim technique is by far one of the most important factors. I would say keep working on that strong double arm pull and your glide and you'll be at 3-5 strokes per lap on a 25m pool in no time. Then again thats just my opinion, obviously*it must be tough with work and stuff but keep up the good work man!
                            Yeah it is tough at times, but honestly I have been in zombie mode training wise for the past 6 months ever since I got a promotion (set schedule). I know I need that 30+ mileage, but since I am studying my *** off for the ASVAB I haven't had much time to devote to runs. I am only running about 10 miles a week, and when I boxed it was close to 25, so I know my body is capable of it, but time wise I just don't have it. I am thinking about buying a bike when the weather breaks to use for work. But anyway, thanks for the support, I know how hard it is for everyone here. And I know videos are a huge motivational boost since most likely you (and a majority of guys on here) have already seen EVERY VIDEO KNOWN TO MAN KIND REGARDING BUD/S ON YOUTUBE lol. I will keep posting! Because for me the responses and supports are a huge motivational boost. We all know we don't get enough of that from the people around us. :/

Comment

Quick update on my youtube Vlog.......I realize you guys are only able to see my progress maybe once a week (or less) due to time constraints on me being able to post videos so in between my video uploads I have an idea. I noticed if you go on my you tube CHANNEL the top says:

Road2Buds Videos Playlists Channels DISCUSSION About

Click the DISCUSSION tab and it will take you to a page that I am able to blog my workouts essentially. I will try and do quick updates in between videos, date them, and post them for you all until I ship.

Thanks for the support everyone! LONG HARD ROAD! Hooyah!

Comment

Working...
                              X