Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

Completely out of shape

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely out of shape

Alright well Ive gained over 60lbs in the last year and I cannot even do a single push up any more nor run a mile. A year ago I was training for the navy seal PSTs during that time I injured myself which prevented me from continuing training. Now my doctor has cleared me to be active again. I need a way that I can build from the bottom up again. Any advice on the best approach to this?

Re: Completely out of shape

You just gotta get out there and start exercising and eating healthy. Stop eating whatever crap you're eating now, focus on getting good, non-processed foods and make your portions smaller. One of the most important factors in weight loss is your diet, exercise is just an added bonus.

As far as exercising goes... just start where you can and see where you go. Do low impact activities such as cycling or swimming to help get you back in shape - your knees might take a real beating if you try to put too much stress on them right away. If you can start working on your pushups now it'd help in the long run - imagine if you could do 70 pushups weighing your current weight and then dropped it all.

It's not gonna be a fast climb but you can get there if you really want it.

Comment

Originally posted by dmob View Post
      You just gotta get out there and start exercising and eating healthy. Stop eating whatever crap you're eating now, focus on getting good, non-processed foods and make your portions smaller. One of the most important factors in weight loss is your diet, exercise is just an added bonus.

As far as exercising goes... just start where you can and see where you go. Do low impact activities such as cycling or swimming to help get you back in shape - your knees might take a real beating if you try to put too much stress on them right away. If you can start working on your pushups now it'd help in the long run - imagine if you could do 70 pushups weighing your current weight and then dropped it all.

It's not gonna be a fast climb but you can get there if you really want it.
      Thanks appreciate it. Should I be weightlifting or focus more on calisthenics right now?

Comment

Originally posted by Insaniak View Post
        Thanks appreciate it. Should I be weightlifting or focus more on calisthenics right now?
        Leave the weights for now focus on diet, cardio and calisthenics for a few months and shed that excess weight. Calisthenics will have you strong enough. I suggest bringing in the weighted exercises after you burned all that weight.

Comment

I second TY93 focus on low impact excercises because you won't wana **** your knees up. Also do a lot of stretching and injury prevention band work. Lots of whole body Cardio... swimming/rowing etc.

Comment

This is what I came up with. What do you think? Rotating days followed by time off time/ on. Going all Out for ea exercise.

?/?=Time doing excercise/Rest before next

Workout #1 (full body)
            Pushup Variation
            1-5 Sets
            15/15 or 20/10 or 25/5

Rowing Variation
            1-5 Sets
            15/15 or 20/10 or 25/5

Mountain Climbers
            1-5 Sets
            15/15 or 20/10 or 25/5

High Knees
            1-5 Sets
            15/15 or 20/10 or 25/5

Bodyweight Squats
            1-5 Sets
            15/15 or 20/10 or 25/5

Jump Squats
            1-5 Sets
            15/15 or 20/10 or 25/5

Workout #2 (full body)
            Chin Ups
            1-5 Sets
            15/15 or 20/10 or 25/5

Dips
            1-5 Sets
            15/15 or 20/10 or 25/5

Burpees
            1-5 Sets
            15/15 or 20/10 or 25/5

Lunges
            1-5 Sets
            15/15 or 20/10 or 25/5

Jump Lunges
            1-5 Sets
            15/15 or 20/10 or 25/5

Workout #3 (lower body)

Bodyweight Forward Lunge
            1-2
            10-15 reps each leg

One Leg Box Steps Ups
            1-2
            10-15 reps each leg

1 Leg Ankle Bounces
            1-2
            10-15 reps each leg

Alternating Split Squat Jump
            1-2
            10-15 reps each leg

Single Leg Hip Extension
            1-2
            10-15 reps each leg

One Leg Balance Squat
            1-2
            10-15 reps each leg

Stationary Bodyweight Lunge
            1-2
            10-15 reps each leg

Lateral Leg Swings
            1-2
            10-15 reps each leg

Bodyweight Squats
            1-2
            10-15 reps each leg

Jump Squats
            1-2
            10-15 reps each leg

Workout #4 (core)
            Front Plank (pushup)
            1-2
            30-60 seconds

Elbow Plank
            1-2
            30-60 seconds

Side Plank (from hand)
            1-2
            30-60 seconds

Side Plank (from elbow)
            1-2
            30-60 seconds

Reverse Plank
            1-2
            30-60 seconds

Comment

You just need to get the ball rolling, start out small, basic calisthenics, keep the heart rate in the 175-185 range.

Comment

Insaniak,
                You have a good set up there to begin, now all you have to do is be persistent. You need a stretching routine also for injury prevention before and after your workout. Good luck!

Comment

TY93 hit the nail on the head. Diet, calisthenics, and gradually building your cardiovascular capability will help you get back into shape. I'd like to take one of those a step further, however. I cannot stress the importance of a good diet enough. Diet will play at least a 70% role in whether you get back into shape or not. Since you were doing SEAL PSTs before, I might well be preaching to the choir. But it's worth stressing: Avoid fast food, soda, and most restaurant food. Teach yourself to eat for nutritive value instead of taste without sacrificing the latter completely. Once you start viewing food as fuel and a re-building material, you won't even crave the garbage that gets advertised and pushed in our faces ten times a day on TV and billboards. Add to this a gallon of water spread throughout the day and not only should you see a difference in your waistline, but you will most likely recover that much faster.

That helps me segue nicely into the second point: Recovery. Whether you're recovering from an ordeal like yours or just another workout, nutrition will affect how well, and how quickly, you get back into tip-top shape. If there is one principle you must establish as your guiding principle on the road to recovery, it is this. Calisthenics, cardio, and, eventually, weights, should be built around that.

Comment

Originally posted by IPTBAW View Post
                    TY93 hit the nail on the head. Diet, calisthenics, and gradually building your cardiovascular capability will help you get back into shape. I'd like to take one of those a step further, however. I cannot stress the importance of a good diet enough. Diet will play at least a 70% role in whether you get back into shape or not. Since you were doing SEAL PSTs before, I might well be preaching to the choir. But it's worth stressing: Avoid fast food, soda, and most restaurant food. Teach yourself to eat for nutritive value instead of taste without sacrificing the latter completely. Once you start viewing food as fuel and a re-building material, you won't even crave the garbage that gets advertised and pushed in our faces ten times a day on TV and billboards. Add to this a gallon of water spread throughout the day and not only should you see a difference in your waistline, but you will most likely recover that much faster.

That helps me segue nicely into the second point: Recovery. Whether you're recovering from an ordeal like yours or just another workout, nutrition will affect how well, and how quickly, you get back into tip-top shape. If there is one principle you must establish as your guiding principle on the road to recovery, it is this. Calisthenics, cardio, and, eventually, weights, should be built around that.
                    Thanks guys, alright I need to get my diet in check! Should I be worrying about stabilizing exercises for my shoulders or not just yet? Also what kind of stretching routine would you guys recommend? Before I would take a recovery day and stretch for an hour as well as do yoga for an hour.

Comment

Insaniak,

Hopefully you are not older than my dead grandmother.

When Mother's Mother showed up, she had to be helped up the stair to the side walk and up the stair into the house and up the stair into her room; my old room. Grandmother stayed up there for weeks; my Mother brought her Mother everything Grandmother needed. Eventually Grandmother wanted come downstairs. Between my Mother and Grandmother, Grandmother came down the stairs for dinner and went up the stairs to go to bed.

Eventually, she wanted to go outside. Within a few months, she walked down the steps and went outside and walked around the block and walked back in the house. The longer you sit in front of a screen typing the less you will moving.

Moral of the story...

EAT LESS MOVE MORE!!!
                      Just an old civilian...

Comment

Main points for what you should be doing
                        -Gain muscle to lose weight
                        -Low impact everything
                        -Bodyweight calisthenics
                        -Patience and Moderation
                        -Healthy dieting

The first one seems weird I know. Most people think that you do cardio to lose weight but that is one of the most inefficient methods ever. If you want more info on why, message me and I can tell you more. Anyways, make sure you get about 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of HEALTHY body weight. Meaning if your 200 pounds with a BMI of 30 percent then get about 140-210 grams of protein in each day. This sounds like a lot because it is, but it is what most "bulking" diets recommend.

Low impact everything- dmob was totally right when he said cycling and swimming. Those are great examples. Also, there is walking as well as elipticals. Anything that is you having constant contact, not lifting your legs and pounding them down. Also, no jumping exercises. The squat jumps you had in your basic workout plan are a bad idea until you get down to within 30 pounds or so of where your healthy weight would be. If you really want to do more plyometric exercises like that what you can do is do a half jump. Only let the heels of your feet leave the ground. Don't ever let the balls of your feet leave the ground.

Bodyweight calisthenics- Keep in mind that every time you do a pushup, you are basically doing a pushup with a 60 pound weight vest on, so you don't have to worry about lifting. Don't forget that modification is totally alright. Don't think that since you can't do a pushup you should wait until you have lost a bunch of weight to start doing them. Instead of having your hands and feet on the floor, have your hands on a table or chair or staircase and you feet on the floor. This will lessen the weight. With pullups, the best thing is assisted pullup machines but if you don't have access to one of those then jump up to the bar and try to slow down your way down for as long as possible. There are tons of ways to modify exercises to make them easier or harder, just look them up online or private message me.

Patience and Moderation- This will suck and will probably take a long long time. You probably aren't looking at having competitive scores for at least a year and a half. Just keep in mind the end goal and purpose of this. Also, realizing that all this adversity is setting you up to handle adversity in BUD/S and as a SEAL way better. As far as moderation goes, just keep in mind not to hop into anything too quick. If you have been sitting on the couch for the past year, don't hop up and completely exhaust yourself, doing everything and anything you can do. Gradually get back into exercising. Gradually build everything back up.

Healthy Dieting- Most people think of fad diets when they hear dieting, or they think of starving themselves. That isn't what I mean. First part of healthy dieting is trying to consume fats in place of carbs. This makes your body more efficient at burning fat, which is obviously a good thing.
                        The best thing to do for a healthy diet is 6 days a week eat about 500 calories less than what you need. Find a calorie need formula online and calculate what you need. Then one day each week (whenever it is most unavoidable to eat a lot, Sunday for instance if you are always going out to eat after Church) and eat 500-1000 calories over what your calculated need is. Your body is constantly adapting, so as you eat less calories than you need, your body senses that it isn't getting enough food, so it burns less calories each day and lowers your metabolism. The 500-1000 calorie over what you need day tells you body that you are getting enough food and so it revs everything the metabolism back up.

Please private message me if you have any questions or anything. I plan on being a personal trainer after getting out of the SEALs so I have looked into and read into this kinda stuff extensively. I have helped friends and family get healthier so I can totally help you man.

Comment

Originally posted by 1biteatatime View Post
                          -Low impact everything
                          -Bodyweight calisthenics
                          -Patience and Moderation
                          -Healthy dieting

The first one seems weird I know. Most people think that you do cardio to lose weight but that is one of the most inefficient methods ever. If you want more info on why, message me and I can tell you more. Anyways, make sure you get about 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of HEALTHY body weight. Meaning if your 200 pounds with a BMI of 30 percent then get about 140-210 grams of protein in each day. This sounds like a lot because it is, but it is what most "bulking" diets recommend.

Low impact everything- dmob was totally right when he said cycling and swimming. Those are great examples. Also, there is walking as well as elipticals. Anything that is you having constant contact, not lifting your legs and pounding them down. Also, no jumping exercises. The squat jumps you had in your basic workout plan are a bad idea until you get down to within 30 pounds or so of where your healthy weight would be. If you really want to do more plyometric exercises like that what you can do is do a half jump. Only let the heels of your feet leave the ground. Don't ever let the balls of your feet leave the ground.

Bodyweight calisthenics- Keep in mind that every time you do a pushup, you are basically doing a pushup with a 60 pound weight vest on, so you don't have to worry about lifting. Don't forget that modification is totally alright. Don't think that since you can't do a pushup you should wait until you have lost a bunch of weight to start doing them. Instead of having your hands and feet on the floor, have your hands on a table or chair or staircase and you feet on the floor. This will lessen the weight. With pullups, the best thing is assisted pullup machines but if you don't have access to one of those then jump up to the bar and try to slow down your way down for as long as possible. There are tons of ways to modify exercises to make them easier or harder, just look them up online or private message me.

Patience and Moderation- This will suck and will probably take a long long time. You probably aren't looking at having competitive scores for at least a year and a half. Just keep in mind the end goal and purpose of this. Also, realizing that all this adversity is setting you up to handle adversity in BUD/S and as a SEAL way better. As far as moderation goes, just keep in mind not to hop into anything too quick. If you have been sitting on the couch for the past year, don't hop up and completely exhaust yourself, doing everything and anything you can do. Gradually get back into exercising. Gradually build everything back up.

Healthy Dieting- Most people think of fad diets when they hear dieting, or they think of starving themselves. That isn't what I mean. First part of healthy dieting is trying to consume fats in place of carbs. This makes your body more efficient at burning fat, which is obviously a good thing.
                          The best thing to do for a healthy diet is 6 days a week eat about 500 calories less than what you need. Find a calorie need formula online and calculate what you need. Then one day each week (whenever it is most unavoidable to eat a lot, Sunday for instance if you are always going out to eat after Church) and eat 500-1000 calories over what your calculated need is. Your body is constantly adapting, so as you eat less calories than you need, your body senses that it isn't getting enough food, so it burns less calories each day and lowers your metabolism. The 500-1000 calorie over what you need day tells you body that you are getting enough food and so it revs everything the metabolism back up.

Please private message me if you have any questions or anything. I plan on being a personal trainer after getting out of the SEALs so I have looked into and read into this kinda stuff extensively. I have helped friends and family get healthier so I can totally help you man.
                          Thank you I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1biteatatime View Post
                            -Low impact everything
                            -Bodyweight calisthenics
                            -Patience and Moderation
                            -Healthy dieting

1beat empty your inbox I cant mail u

Comment

Insaniak, i emptied it, you should be good to send it.

Comment

Working...
                              X