Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

Being prepared physically

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being prepared physically

I know there's no real answer to this but ill ask anyway. Could the average man(physically) train for BUD/S using the PTG and be prepared for BUD/S in 6 months? (IN YOUR OPINION) Thanks.

Re: Being prepared physically

To be more specific, if I have just recently started exercising, would it be healthy to be prepared to ship to bootcamp in January or is this an unrealistic goal. (This is obviously assuming I'm working out religiously through each week. What are your thoughts guys?

Comment

Don't rush anything. Take a mock PST every two weeks to a month to keep track of your progress. In order for you to ship in January you'd need to have contract-able PST scores by October or November, because slots fill up.

Your C-SORT score will also affect how well your scores need to be for a contract. You're a ways from taking that test, and you don't want to be DEP'd in with a fleet contract and wind up getting a sh*tty score on your C-SORT and have a time limit on improving your scores before your ship date hits. Train to be the best you can be. That might sound *** but it's true.
      Contracted SO Ship Date 01OCT14

Comment

The PTG is a 26 week program. I would say at the least you should take the time to do the full 26 weeks. Don't be in a hurry. When it comes to your goal of becoming a SEAL, take your time. You don't want to get in a hurry and mess things up (getting injured, not fully prepared, etc.) Keep in mind I would only go talk to a recruiter and swear in near the end of the 26 weeks (or when you can crush the PST), in this case, whichever one comes last. While in DEP you will have more time to train (with your mentor and on your own). Think of how prepared you will be if you work up to the 26 weeks, take your PST, crush it and get a contract, and THEN, after you are already in such great shape and have been working hard for so long, do you start hitting it really hard with your mentor/ with your own training. IMHO, if you have the time (if you're not getting close to the age marker) take it. Obviously don't procrastinate, but train smart, work up slowly, train hard, and absolutely KILL your PST and your training. Good luck brother!

God Bless.

HOOYAH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin. View Post
          I know there's no real answer to this but ill ask anyway. Could the average man(physically) train for BUD/S using the PTG and be prepared for BUD/S in 6 months? (IN YOUR OPINION) Thanks.
          Sure.
          Last edited by Bose; 08-22-2014, 03:43 AM. Reason: 5 characters

Comment

Mr. Caviston ended his recent post about rucking by saying that, "regarding Hell Week success, the variable that distinguishes successful students far far more than any other is running ability." With that in mind, if I were in your circumstances I would be concerned that six months may not be enough time to build up a proper running base. Even if six months can get you to competitive 1.5mile and 4mile runs, it may not be enough time to condition your legs for the beatings they'll take in BUD/S.

That said, you gotta do what your circumstances allow.

Comment

Originally posted by backcountry View Post
              Mr. Caviston ended his recent post about rucking by saying that, "regarding Hell Week success, the variable that distinguishes successful students far far more than any other is running ability." With that in mind, if I were in your circumstances I would be concerned that six months may not be enough time to build up a proper running base. Even if six months can get you to competitive 1.5mile and 4mile runs, it may not be enough time to condition your legs for the beatings they'll take in BUD/S.

That said, you gotta do what your circumstances allow.
              Backcountry,

I'm not sure if it was the last post by Mr.caviston or someone else. But the person said something about functional muscles. Now at the end of the 26 week program. You would be running 9 miles lsd. I think two 20 minute CHI runs. And hundreds of calithentics . If the PTG won't get you prepared for BUD/S lol you better hope your a demi God and have a good heart.

Comment

Wow, I didn't expect this many replies. Thank you all for responding. I guess my best option at this point is just to work hard and see where it gets me. Im no where near the age barrier, considering I'm 18 so I have all the time I need. I'm just frustrated with myself for not starting earlier. Thanks again.

Comment

I'm just frustrated with myself for not starting earlier.
                  "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Comment

Originally posted by Bose View Post
                    I'm not sure if it was the last post by Mr.caviston or someone else. But the person said something about functional muscles. Now at the end of the 26 week program. You would be running 9 miles lsd. I think two 20 minute CHI runs. And hundreds of calithentics . If the PTG won't get you prepared for BUD/S lol you better hope your a demi God and have a good heart.
                    My sixty-year-old dad can still smoke me on a bike, so there's a chance he may be of the Greek pantheon. Or maybe it's his 30-year endurance base.

I?m not disputing the PTG?s ability to prepare an individual for BUD/S. The question I?m posing is whether six months is enough time to take a guy off the couch and create a running base and top-end aerobic power that will support him during Hell Week and beyond. If, for instance, at the end of a six month training period with the PTG an individual has only run one 40-mile week, is he really prepared for BUD/S? Is his aerobic threshold high enough? Are his legs durable enough?

Obviously much of this is dependent on the individual. If we?re talking about the average American, then we?re working with someone who is overweight and athletically useless. Calvin, for all we know, may weigh three-hundred pounds, in which case six months would be woefully inadequate. It would take him far more than six months to get to a 9-mile LSD and two 20-minute CHI runs per week. He could, on the other hand, be an ex-high school athlete with some athletic capacity, in which case getting to the aforementioned level in such a time is reasonable. All in all, where an individual starts is an indicator of how far he has to go.

That being said, I don?t have an answer, only concerns. It would be interesting to study the running history of the guys who make it through Hell Week. How many miles do they run per week? How long have they maintained that volume? And so on. Until then, I stand by my original post: ?...[six months] may not be enough time to condition one?s legs for the beatings they'll take in BUD/S.?

Calvin, you have the right idea. Train. See where you are in six months. And make your decision based on quantifiable data, not hypothetical scenarios. You have the benefits of youth and time. The question is if you have the maturity to capitalize on them. You're here, asking good questions, so I think your prospects for success are looking good.

Comment

The PTG is designed to be the smartest progression possible for achieving high PST scores in the shortest amount of time possible, and statistics show that competitive scores means a huge percentage increase in making it through BUD/S. This is why the PTG exists. It's sole purpose is to get you in the door with outstanding PST scores and get you started. It is just step #1 with regards to BUD/S prep. Pretty much everyone posting on here is not, or has never been to bootcamp, prep or indoc phase. Therefor, our main goal, as facilitated by the PTG, is getting solid PST scores.

So, yes, one can take 6 months to prepare himself for BUD/S effectively. His aerobic threshold is high enough, his legs durable enough. The better the PST scores, the more these things are true.

The PTG's unofficial description is that it is a guide designed to prepare the average candidate for excellent PST scores and ultimately BUD/S. It's important to remember that 300lbs and overweight probably doesn't fall into the category of "average". A 3 mile run on day 1 probably isn't a good idea for someone of that low of fitness level and level of weight.

I've written on here in the past about this, but I don't feel like searching back into the forums to find the text. A lot of hype has been generated over the years about what it takes to prepare for BUD/S. It's like a fish story where the fish just keeps getting bigger and bigger as the story gets told more and more often. Train vs. testing. A lot of guys think they need to do push ups until their arms fall off... just because it's hard. That is NOT training. Training is steps. It's progress. It's trackable. It's how we achieve our fitness goals. Doing things because they are hard is not training... that's called "anxiety" or "crossfit". We're not out here trying to make ourselves puke for 2 years. We are trying (should be trying) to achieve a very clear and specific set of fitness goals. The PTG is a free and efficient guide to help us achieve those. Using the 10% rule and starting at 3 miles, for example, 6 months is the timeline for maxing the running distance of the PTG. 40 miles per week is the max total. That's a solid distance for BUD/S prep and recommended by NSW.

A lot of people think that "only" doing the PTG is the bare minimum. I say that's the wrong mentality. It's not about quantity, it's not about how far or how long. It's about quality and being honest with yourself during training. It's about the quality of effort that you put into the program. That goes for any training program. That's what gets you the results you want.

Comment

Originally posted by tfranc View Post
                        Doing things because they are hard is not training... that's called "anxiety" or "crossfit".
                        Best. Crossfit slam. Ever.

Comment

Originally posted by backcountry View Post
                          Best. Crossfit slam. Ever.
                          When I read Tfranc s post; it made me think cross fit Is stupid and dangerous. But anyways what about BUD/S? It has to be a hundred times worse than any crossfit class.

Comment

@backcountry - Glad you appreciate the humor haha.

Originally posted by Bose View Post
                            When I read Tfranc s post; it made me think cross fit Is stupid and dangerous. But anyways what about BUD/S? It has to be a hundred times worse than any crossfit class.
                            My point with my last post is that we should be training for BUD/S and the PST. You don't accomplish that by beating yourself into the ground, or by doing things with end goals that aren't specific to what we need. We are preparing for a test. BUD/S is the test. The ex sci minds at NSW have created a program to accomplish that goal.

Comment

To be more precise, you should be training for a contract first; BUD/S training comes later. Remember fellas, take this one step at a time, just like Hell Week. If you don't have a contract yet then train for the PST. Training for BUD/S now is not productive. After you have a contract, keep training for the PST because that's what you must maintain for elibility through the beginning of Prep School. After that you will train for Prep School exit standards. When you leave Prep School you will go to Orientation and THEN you will train for BUD/S. In all cases, do as your training coach tells you, whether it's the PTG, an NSO Mentor, Prep School trainer, or BUD/S instructor.
                              Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
                              35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

Working...
                              X