Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

Elevation Training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elevation Training

Creating this topic to see if anyone has used or has opinions on the Elevation Training masks that have been going around. The first time I noticed someone using one was at the gym a few months back. Then more recently I saw another guy at my new gym who using one and was also sporting a Marine shirt. So it peeked my interest and made me think about using it in a training capacity. I started to look into it. Is this something that anyone has tried or if not why not and what are your feelings on it? I've looked at what research is out there on it myself, just curious on other peoples thoughts.

I haven't tried them either but I'm interested as well. If you get one let us know how you like it

Comment

Did you end up ordering one?

Comment

im planning on getting one i know it helps a lot with cardio and improve your condition so im sure it will help alot

Comment

It is questionable whether actual altitude training benefits performance. Masks do not replicate altitude training. Save your money, don't waste your time.
          Mike Caviston
          Director of Fitness, NSWCEN

Comment

If science can't back it up, don't waste your time/money. Reminds me of the PowerBalance bands....junk! Fashionable junk, but still junk.

Comment

I've seen people wearing them, but I haven't tried one out myself. Allegedly, an altitude training mask will replicate altitude training. To my knowledge, all it really does is make it harder to breath, making your lungs tired. If you want to challenge your lungs, than run faster.

Comment

Originally posted by HK416 View Post
                I've seen people wearing them, but I haven't tried one out myself. Allegedly, an altitude training mask will replicate altitude training. To my knowledge, all it really does is make it harder to breath, making your lungs tired. If you want to challenge your lungs, than run faster.
                Yah. They should rename the thing COPD Simulation Mask.

Comment

Originally posted by HK416 View Post
                  Yes I have used them before, Just like HK416 said they don't simulate high altitude training they just make it harder to breath, which from my point of view is worthless because all its doing is limiting how hard you can push yourself in a workout without passing out without giving you the benefits of high altitude training. They also claim to strengthen your diaphragm but from my experiences you can do this just by getting a good workout in and "running out of breath".

Comment

The elevation training mask is useless to increase endurance, elevation training is only beneficial because the oxygen concentration in the air is lower than at sea level, making your lungs get used to a lower oxygen concentration and better processing the O2. Once your lungs are used to processing minimal amount of oxygen when you go to sea level your lungs and blood will be flooded with O2 which will increase your fatigue level allowing your muscles to work longer. The elevation mask just restricts how much air you can breathe in making it harder to breathe and not allowing you to fill your lungs to normal, while your lungs work harder to get more air in, your lungs will still be processing the same amount of O2 concentration as the elevation you are currently at.

Comment

Echoing what everyone else has said. You should live at a high elevation but train at a low elevation for maximum benefit.

Comment

Working...
                      X