Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

Cutting or lifting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting or lifting?

Im trying to drop 5% body fat this summer and is wondering if i should continue to lift or should i focus 100% of my time on running and swimming...as of right now I lift and then afterwards go for a run, do hills etc or swim. Should I continue this or devote my time to running and swimming only.

Running and swimming wise, do intervals at max effort. Lifting wise, do it 3 times a week at moderate weight with high reps(15-20) and I recommend swimming specifics. I'm no personal trainer but this is from my research. Be on top of your nutrition intake and have at least one rest day.

All the best, Robo

Comment

What is your current bf % and how old are you?

As far as preparing for the PST, which should be your first priority for pipeline preparedness, running and swimming are where it's at. Lifting should support your other athletic endeavors, however. Check out the PTG for ideas on how to integrate the two.

If you have time, an unecessary, but potentially valuable course of action you could take is getting on a novice strength plan and maxing out your novice linear progression ability. Then, you can use those newfound gains in running and swimming, etc.

Comment

19% which is fairly high but I can pretty much handle my body weight for the most part my pushups pull-ups and situps are good i just need to work on running and swimming, my running is almost there i run about a 10 minute 1.5 but losing the fat will just make everything easier, I'm 17 years old

Comment

Originally posted by landonH View Post
          19% which is fairly high but I can pretty much handle my body weight for the most part my pushups pull-ups and situps are good i just need to work on running and swimming, my running is almost there i run about a 10 minute 1.5 but losing the fat will just make everything easier, I'm 17 years old
          I'm going to advise against worrying about losing fat. 19% is not high, it is in fact ideal, despite what modern fitness media crossfit bullsh*t wants you to believe. The closer you are to 20%, the better. That's where you get the highest anabolic returns per percent of body fat. More than 20 and the benefits taper off, as well as less than 20. The only way you'll get better at running and swimming is to do them more and progress in a slow, smart way. I recommend using the PTG plan for increasing mileage in both

Comment

I don't know where the 20% body fat as ideal figure comes from. Research among NSW Operators suggests 10-15% is where the best combination of high physical performance/lower injury rate occurs. Operators with BF lower than 10% or higher than 15% were lower physical performers and/or sustained more injuries than those in between. There is no data for BUD/S students but I have no reason to believe there is a different relationship between body fat and performance/injury. Still, I never counsel anyone to pursue a particular body fat percentage. I suggest you do the appropriate training (as described clearly elsewhere on SEALSWCC.com) and practice sound nutrition, and body fat should take care of itself - your body will adapt to best accomplish what you train for. Another concern regarding body fat is to make sure it is accurately measured (which is unlikely to occur outside of a research lab).
            Mike Caviston
            Director of Fitness, NSWCEN

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Caviston View Post
              I don't know where the 20% body fat as ideal figure comes from. Research among NSW Operators suggests 10-15% is where the best combination of high physical performance/lower injury rate occurs. Operators with BF lower than 10% or higher than 15% were lower physical performers and/or sustained more injuries than those in between. There is no data for BUD/S students but I have no reason to believe there is a different relationship between body fat and performance/injury. Still, I never counsel anyone to pursue a particular body fat percentage. I suggest you do the appropriate training (as described clearly elsewhere on SEALSWCC.com) and practice sound nutrition, and body fat should take care of itself - your body will adapt to best accomplish what you train for. Another concern regarding body fat is to make sure it is accurately measured (which is unlikely to occur outside of a research lab).
              My apologies Sir. I embarrassingly got my information mixed up. Somehow I mixed information I have seen you write about previously in regard to 10-15% bf for trainees, with 20% bf for novice-level strength trainees using a linear progression style of programming (not NSW pipeline trainees). My mistake. My apologies to "landonH" as well.

If I may ask a question.. what would be the best course of action to find out one's own bf %, or is it even possible for the average joe to get it measured accurately? Thank you for your time.

Comment

My gym has a thing you hold and scale you stand on and it measures it, thanks for the advice everyone, I'm sure if i keep up what I'm doing the body fat will eventually come off

Comment

4% ain't no thang. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                  X