Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

upper body strength

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upper body strength

so, i'm interested in becoming a navy SEAL. i just finished my freshman year of highschool (i'm a sophomore next year) and I need to build my upper body....
    I can do maby one proper pull up, I am strong, but i lack the strength in the muscle groups that are used specifically for pull-ups. I always get stuck about a fourth of the way up, if i'm any higher i can make it, but it is the transition from a hang to the up.

so basically i'm asking, what would be the best way to overcome this problem?

Do pullups, and incase your wondering about upping your pushups: do pushups. Its that simple. Your gonna do thousands and thousands of each so get used to doin em. Your in high school though. I would just work on academics and playing sports for a few years. Water polo or swim team are very good options to think about if your school has them

Comment

There are resources on this page to help you plan your strength training. I hope you won't be doing "thousands and thousands" of push-ups or any other exercise if you are serious about coming to BUD/S. You need to follow a balanced program that includes a proportional amount of many exercises. Specifically for pull-ups, there are a couple things you can do. Find a lat pull-down machine that lets you set the resistance at less than your body weight, and you can start with a weight where you can complete 10-15 reps and build on that. Another thing is to do negative pull-ups, where you use a chair or bench to step up to the pull-up bar so you can begin with your chin above the bar, and slowly (for about 6-8 seconds) lower yourself to straight arms while resisting gravity. Don't do too many, especially in the beginning. Do maybe 6-10 every other day, and soon you should be able to complete a couple pull-ups on your own.
      Mike Caviston
      Director of Fitness, NSWCEN

Comment

thanks, i'll try the negative pull-ups. and by the way I am on a swim team year around, and i additionally do basketball in the winter.
        so, I have the sports covered for now.

thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Caviston View Post
          There are resources on this page to help you plan your strength training. I hope you won't be doing "thousands and thousands" of push-ups or any other exercise if you are serious about coming to BUD/S. You need to follow a balanced program that includes a proportional amount of many exercises. Specifically for pull-ups, there are a couple things you can do. Find a lat pull-down machine that lets you set the resistance at less than your body weight, and you can start with a weight where you can complete 10-15 reps and build on that. Another thing is to do negative pull-ups, where you use a chair or bench to step up to the pull-up bar so you can begin with your chin above the bar, and slowly (for about 6-8 seconds) lower yourself to straight arms while resisting gravity. Don't do too many, especially in the beginning. Do maybe 6-10 every other day, and soon you should be able to complete a couple pull-ups on your own.

Sorry I didn't mean to imply doing thousands and thousands right now, just that you will be doing a ton of them in training and that one of the best ways to get good at them is doing them.

Comment

Remember that doing well on the PST correlates with success in BUD/S, statistically speaking. Remember that you will never... never prepare for BUD/S by trying to recreate it in any way. Train to get from A to B, then take the test (BUD/S). Don't try to prepare for a test by making another test for yourself.

Comment

i'll keep that in mind, thanks for all the good advice.

Comment

Mr.Caviston is right, the Lat Pull Down machine should become a good friend. Take a look into the PTG if you have not already, the new updated version is very user-friendly and it gives you everything you need to know about preparing for your PST as well as for BUD/S.

Comment

Working...
                X