Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

Risk of injury

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risk of injury

For a cross training session, I was considering in investing in a 30lb medicine ball, and perform numerous of activities with it. Then again, I am not sure if I should consider this idea as it seems like a strength training approach. In the end, I would not want to overwork the upper body and risk injury. Any help would be appreciated.

Well, just my 2 cents, but if you plan on doing that you should schedule your week around that. For example, if you know you want to do the medicine ball as a cross training session on Tuesday, do your normal upper workout on Monday. Just try to change it up every week, don't always use the medicine ball for cross training. You could try rock climbing or something of the sort if you're looking to do upper. Don't cross train on the same day every week, or at the same time in your routine. Using the same principle, don't always do the same medicine ball workouts in the same order all the time either. In conclusion, to avoid overtraining and plateau, don't do upper on the same day as medicine ball, switch up your medicine ball workouts every now and then, and don't always use it as your cross training session. Hope this helps.

Comment

Putting it in the context of preparing for the PST should also be considered. You will want to devote as much of your recovery time to PST training as you can. Remember that you will never be able to recreate BUD/S, nor replecate any real part of it, but that doing well on the PST gives you hard proof that your chance of success in BUD/S has grown. Using a medicine ball, or other supplemental training once in a while is a nice way to test yourself a little and break up the monotony, but like mlw said, don't use it all the time. Just my opinion though. I would consider it more PT type stuff and less strength training, because the weight is very submaximal for you I'm sure

Comment

Working...
      X