Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

Stretching program

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stretching program

Hello all,

I am starting the PTG progam, but on a smaller scale to try build myself up after an injury.

Wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction for a stretching program or any advice on this matter?

Thankyou for your time.

The SEAL/SWCC site has videos on injury prevention and stretching. There's also few websites like https://www.mobilitywod.com/ that I see people mention a lot for very good, professional content. Or you can just look stuff up on youtube.

There's the major muscle groups that are self-explanatory to stretch like quads, hamstrings, pecs, lats, etc. And the smaller things like shoulders, ankles, and hips that are very susceptible to injury. There is also the stability aspect of strengthening those small muscles, which is equally important to injury prevention. For example, monster walks, dorsi/plantar flexion of the foot, rotator cuff exercises, etc with a resistance band.

I do a stretching routine post workout and every night before bed, and a 5-10 minute circuit of hip, ankle, shoulder, and knee stability exercises everyday

Comment

I agree with everything KULNAH posted. I suggest investing in a foam roller and look up some stretches for foam rolling. I recently got into foam rolling and it is incredible what it does for me. Some spots are incredibly painful to roll, such as IT band, but that usually means that area is really tight and can result in injury if not stretched. Basically, foam rolling is a deep tissue massage that I suggest doing before your main stretching and after your post-workout cooldown.
      "Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks. Then the doing of your work shall be no miracle. But you shall be a miracle." -Phillips Brooks

Comment

I appreciate the comments and will look into the foam rolling as I have heard good things.

What kind of warm up routine would suffice before a work out?

Currently I am warming up on the x-trainer to raise my heart rate and then carrying out a basic stretching routine.

Thankyou once again.

Comment

I second the foam roller. I have one and I roll out at least once a week, but I try to do it every night.

I personally only warmup before cardio (run, swim, etc) but if you're just trying to get warmed up to stretch, the x-trainer should be fine.
          "Those who will not risk cannot win" - John Paul Jones

Comment

Lacrosse balls are good too to get in real deep. Works wonders. If you are gonna buy a foam roller, definitely get a "rumble roller." They're the ones with the grooves and bumps all over it to dig in deeper.

As for before a workout, it depends on what I'm doing, but usually band exercises, shoulder dislocations with a stick, band pull-aparts, monster walks, dynamic stretches, jumping jacks, bodyweight squats, my gym when I'm home from college has one of those hand bike things machines. Anything to get blood flowing and muscles ready to work. So yeah, the x-trainer and some dynamic stretching is fine

Comment

Always dynamic stretching before a workout and static stretching after a workout. Studies have shown that only static stretching before a workout actually makes you more susceptible to injury. Lacrosse balls and foam rolling are also an excellent way to break up the lactic acid and decrease recovery time. As for injury prevention workouts, depending on how much you do every day might not be the best idea, but I don't know your routine so I'm not going to judge it. I just know the injury prevention videos recommend 2-3 times a week for injury prevention workouts.

Comment

Originally posted by dblackamdg View Post
                As for injury prevention workouts, depending on how much you do every day might not be the best idea, but I don't know your routine so I'm not going to judge it. I just know the injury prevention videos recommend 2-3 times a week for injury prevention workouts.
                I do like 2 sets of 10-12 for like 2 hip, 1 knee, 2 ankle, and 2 shoulder exercises with a light resistance band. Takes maybe a total of 5 minutes and I incorporate it into my dynamic warm up. Not sure if it's overkill, but I've been doing it daily for about a year. 5 minor injuries before, none since I started, which is really the only reason I continue to do it everyday lol

Comment

Working...
                X