Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

Jeff Nichols Program

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Nichols Program

I've been watching the Jeff Nichols series on youtube and was looking into his BUD/S program. Checking out some of the comments on his instagram, he says that the most you will ever run on the program is 3 miles in a week.

Obviously this is completely contrary to everything this forum says, but I'm curious as to what the powers more knowledgeable than me have to say about something like this. Mr. Nichols has tons of experience in the field, so I don't want to just disregard his work, but jumping from 3-mile weeks to the running demands of BUDS, Prep, or even boot camp just seems like you are asking for an injury. I can't see the complete program, but it seems a bit odd and against the grain.

Thanks

I'm also interested in what Mr. Caviston has to say about his videos. Specifically, these two about volume:

https://youtu.be/vaYk8vScG1k

https://youtu.be/_afW53OE8F4
    "Those who will not risk cannot win" - John Paul Jones

Comment

They recommend that you work your way up to 40 miles a week. Mr. Caviston has already created a great program for you to follow that will meet exactly what you will need to prepare for the PST, prevent injury, and get a good base of running and swimming. There are a lot of different programs created by former SEALs and such, the programs are great, the problem is that what worked in that program for one person may not work for other. I'd recommend just following the PTG.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleabag View Post
        They recommend that you work your way up to 40 miles a week. Mr. Caviston has already created a great program for you to follow that will meet exactly what you will need to prepare for the PST, prevent injury, and get a good base of running and swimming. There are a lot of different programs created by former SEALs and such, the programs are great, the problem is that what worked in that program for one person may not work for other. I'd recommend just following the PTG.
        Yeah I know. Been on the PTG for a little over a year now. I'm moreso just curious of what the reasoning of such little mileage could be. Definitely not going to cut my mileage down by over 1,000% in response to an Instagram comment lol

Comment

Part of why the PTG asks for 40 miles per week is to get your body ready for the pounding it will take at BUD/S from endless running. You simply cannot accomplish that with 3 miles per week.

The main difference between his stuff and the PTG? Evidence. The PTG is evidence based, and evidence based practice is king.

The data accessible to NSW outnumber the data accessible to Nichols by leaps and bounds, therefor Nichols will never be as well informed and thus not able to create content that can compete with the PTG. This is the main argument here.

Comment

The effect sizes of performance in different areas on Hell Week success tell the story. BUD/s is a running and swimming man's game, in that order.

You won't get performance dropped for failing a hang clean or not hitting a 1RM on your bench press or deadlift. You will most certainly get sent packing for failing runs and swims though.

I don't think most people realize how valuable this data is. We have never had anything like this. It's very easy to see where the emphasis should be.

Comment

Was able to meet Jeff at his strength and conditioning facility not to long ago he is a great no bs type of guy and is proud of his SEAL career but like fargo007 has said you can see where emphasis should be.

Comment

The Jeff Nichols Tactical Program isn't designed to get you through BUD/S. It's specifically designed to prepare you for selection, to improve your PST score. I've done the program and it is very good, but it always depends what exactly you're trying to do. The program is well designed to improve your run time, pull ups, push ups and sit ups as well as keeping you strong and explosive.. I liked that.

Comment

Nichols never stated that 3 miles a week is all you'll need to adequately prepare. He has stated several times that additional volume will be necessary as you ramp up before beginning. All of his work is based on scientific study and evidence. His 5-mile run program is absurdly challenging and will prep you for any race or training program. Look at everything he has to say before making conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                  X