Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

Can cross training MMA (Grappling and striking) help ones chances at BUD/s?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can cross training MMA (Grappling and striking) help ones chances at BUD/s?

And let's say someone was training at a fairly high rate, like 5x a week, 2 hours a clip, could that combat sports experience help them in the long run? Additionally, what would you suggest they supplement those workouts with?

Thanks all

Any lifting/running/swimming programs that would accompany that layout would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently running my own system, but I'm interested in seeing what others have to say.

Plus recovery tips wouldn't be bad either. Thanks.

Comment

Stitch, have you looked into the NSW physical training guide(PTG) that's on this site? It provides information and routine layouts to accommodate your schedule. With your martial arts, it's easy to tweak some of the aspects to make sure you don't over-train in the PTG. With your question whether martial arts will help, according to a study conducted by NSW nearly a decade ago, they found wrestling/martial arts to be one of the seven sports that contributed to previous candidates' success in BUD/S.

Best Regards.

Comment

I think this also depends on how much time you are investing in actual training rather than cross training. Are you putting the running and fin swim mileage in? Eggbeater treading no problem? PST scores at a superior level and continually improving?

There's no substitute for these, especially the water. Nothing you can do out of the water will improve your performance in it.

Comment

ive been doing my muay thai, jujitsu, and high school wrestling for 4 years. a few fights under my belt and i actually had a fight 5 days after deping in. a month after stopping mma due to injury risk i immediately saw a change in my ability to run no matter the distance without shin splits. i now get shin splints easier due to the lack of shin bone and muscle conditioning. i also went from training for a fight 6 days a week 3 hours a day to nothing and my run times dropped a bit and i put a few pounds on. however i can say once i got caught up to speed to where i was when cross training, being a 100 percent tactical athlete became very fun... in my opinion focus your time on training. give your self something to train for and ***** yourself before you go to your respected military pipeline. i bought the hard to kill tactical 2.0 12 week training and i feel more confident than i did knowing ive completed a plan that will specifically get me ready. dont waste your time training for the wrong race day when there is perfectly good training out there for YOUR race day. surround yourself with people that all want the same thing as you.

Comment

Statistics show that combat athletes have a higher graduation rate than other sports, but it

Comment

Originally posted by tfranc View Post
              Statistics show that combat athletes have a higher graduation rate than other sports, but it
              is only corrolary

Comment

Working...
              X