Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

Exercise program for 3+ years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise program for 3+ years

I'm a Junior in highschool looking into entering the SEALs, and I'm planning on completing a college degree before enlisting. All said it will probably be three years before I join. The PTG gives a variation for a training period longer than 26 weeks but would this apply to a three year period? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by ChristianTeoli View Post
    I'm a Junior in highschool looking into entering the SEALs, and I'm planning on completing a college degree before enlisting. All said it will probably be three years before I join. The PTG gives a variation for a training period longer than 26 weeks but would this apply to a three year period? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Hey Christian, don’t quote me on this I just giving my opinion. Train, train and train some more. If I was you I’d play sport and pick up martial arts. Sport is self explanatory. Martial art is good for overall fitness and defence. And of course study hard, you might be fit but you need high marks to better you’re chances. As for the 26 weeks I believe some one else will help you with that. Remember this is just my opinion I’m sure people after can give more or correct information after me

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I'm actually involved in Krav Maga at the moment, not sure if its the best martial art but it does work a lot with defense.

Comment

yeah man complete the 26 weeks and then up the intensity.

weight vests
        sprints uphill
        high altitude mask
        trail or beach running
        running in the boots they use
        confusing your body and go for midnight runs/swims

as far as swimming
        - open water is a huge shock to your body

spartan and tough mudders are both fun and will challenge you

Comment

also before i forget, work on weak points. i don mean swimming or pull-ups, you bodies weak points. you know those band exercises you see the hot gymshark girls doing? do those! (workouts not the girls) the PT from BUDs recommends a lot of band exercises to strengthen the little muscles around your knees, hips, and ankles. dont worry about people seeing you do chick exercises, no one will be laughing when you have a trident and they dont

Comment

I was in your shoes when I first took to the idea of going after this seriously. I contemplated keeping to the NSW PTG formatted workouts for 4-5 years, but in the end decided to put training for the pipeline specifically on hold. Through college, I stayed very involved in physically strenuous activities like pick up lacrosse, lifting, mountain biking, etc. However, what I did not do was kill myself running 20+ miles, swimming 9000+yds, performing 4 calisthenics workouts a week. If you ask me, the type of training we should be focused on for crushing the PST should not be something you do for multiple years, but rather 6 months or so.

It's quite mentally difficult putting preparing for the pipeline on hold, but if being an operator is truly something you want, beginning training a few years from now should be no problem at all. Think of it as a test to your commitment. That being said, in hindsight I would have done more running over those 4 years or so I was in college, and a little less lifting weights.

Some perspective: I just started my training for the pipeline the end of this past December. From my first PST in January to now, the swim and calisthenics have been fairly easy to attain competitive scores (swim 8:15 now from 10:20 in Jan, pushups 100 from 75, situps 78 from 65, and pullups 22 from 20), but the run has been a b**** to get down (9:52 from 10:31 in Jan). Like I said, I stayed active throughout college, so while those scores were not anything to be proud of, it wasn't a bad starting point to have before taking training seriously. However, had I run a little more, I would have stronger bone density in my shins (mitigating the risk of shin splints) allowing me to be more flexible with my weekly run mileage limit, and I'm sure I would by now be able to comfortably autoqual the 1.5mi (9:30) like all the other exercises rather than going all out to break 10:00 on a PST.

I would recommend you be able to get similar scores (with a better run) when you start real training, and not worry about auto-qual or better numbers until then. I would recommend you run a couple of times a week, maybe a HIIT training workout and a run for time (30-40) min... or better yet, join some type of running/triathlon club at college. I would recommend you learn CSS and get moderately comfortable with it, as you will be able to get started training right away when it comes time as opposed to taking a few weeks to learn the stroke. Finally, I would not over do it with the lifting. Legs fine but upper body mass is much more of a hinderance than a good thing (being good at pushups/pullups is literally the only benefit), so don't make the same mistake I did there. It's not fun being a rock in the pool, being colder than you have to be because of lower body fat percentage, and carrying around extra weight on any exercise where you move around a lot like running (and losing that muscle is not as easy as you'd think.) I ship late July and I am now just focused on getting better at running and losing as much upper body mass as possible... but if you train smart over the next few years, you won't have anything to worry about when you're only a few months away from shipping except getting ready for BUD/S.

Just my own advice from experience, you can take it or leave it. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Comment

@fitz00000 Thanks a lot for all that! It was very insightful. Focusing on running/swimming rather than upper body strength makes total sense. Goodluck to you on going into BUD/S!

Comment

Working...
              X