Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Download the free Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Download: http://www.sealswcc.com/PDF/naval-sp...roke-guide.pdf
See more
See less

Well done or rare?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well done or rare?

I've looked around and found some confusing information on how to cook your red meats. Are more nutrients retained if you cook it through well done or should it be heated just enough to kill off any harmful organisms? Thanks in advance.

Re: Well done or rare?

the raw side of the argument fits more with history and research into ancient cultures. I mean we didn't evolve to eat cooked food. your right about most of the enzymes and nutrients being cooked off at 120 degrees same thing for vegetables.
    "Nothing on earth can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."

- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

For the sake of discourse, I would agree rare is probably better. But I happen to like it that way anyhow.
      I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harm's way.

-John Paul Jones November 1778

Comment

Some vitamins are destroyed by the heating through cooking, so to retain the most vitamins, you would want to cook as little as possible. However, less cooking increases your chances for food-borne illnesses.

Personally, I just stick to non-red/lean proteins, such as salmon, chicken, and sometimes pork. I hardly ever eat red meats; maybe about seven to ten times a year. But when I do, medium rare is the preferred choice.
        "But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it." - Thucydides
        *08APR2013 SO Contract*

Comment

Originally posted by floridastateU View Post
          the raw side of the argument fits more with history and research into ancient cultures. I mean we didn't evolve to eat cooked food. your right about most of the enzymes and nutrients being cooked off at 120 degrees same thing for vegetables.
          Umm...yes we did.

Humans began to cook their food with fire over half a million years ago. Are you saying we haven't evolved in half a million years?

Comment

no ******* im saying most tribes ate and eat raw foods.
            "Nothing on earth can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."

- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by floridastateU View Post
              no ******* im saying most tribes ate and eat raw foods.
              And you base this on what?

Comment

Cook it and eat it how you want...this is silly.

Comment

Working...
                X