Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Official Podcast Now Posted!

The Official Navy SEAL & SWCC podcast, "The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday", is now posted in the Downloads section https://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-podcast.html. Hear from real, active duty Navy SEALs, SWCC, and key support staff from NSW as they talk training, requirements, ethos, and more. Hooyah!
2 of 2 < >

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

Teetotalers need not apply?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teetotalers need not apply?

I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered or if this is off topic for this forum.

From what the internet told me, drinking is a part of SEAL culture. I do not drink for health reasons (acid reflux, liver). Are teetotalers shunned by (potential) colleagues, or is this a non-issue? Do I even bother trying to fit in, or should I aim for a SOF unit with a different modus operandi? Preferably, I would like to hear from SEALs who were sober while active.

I've always heard this (several books, youtube interviews, etc)-
    in the teams there are guys who don't dip, drink, curse or sleep around at all. And there are also guys who do all four in one night.

Comment

Yeah, it’s just a stereotype. Can garauntee guys with kids and families aren’t going to the bar a lot. To say there are all walks of life is probably more accurate.

Comment

I wouldn’t worry about it, just be a man about it and if you get to a team and some of them give you a hard time about it which I doubt, then just stick to your guns. I’m in the same boat as you except I don’t have anything medically wrong. I just don’t like the whole drinking thing, I’d much prefer to just get a lemonade, haha. I’ve read that’s theres always guys that’ll go to the bar with the boys but just drink a water. You’re good.

Comment

It’s fine. You can be the designated driver! I’m not a SEAL but I think as adults you would be able to solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by brk98 View Post
            I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered or if this is off topic for this forum.

From what the internet told me, drinking is a part of SEAL culture. I do not drink for health reasons (acid reflux, liver). Are teetotalers shunned by (potential) colleagues, or is this a non-issue? Do I even bother trying to fit in, or should I aim for a SOF unit with a different modus operandi? Preferably, I would like to hear from SEALs who were sober while active.
            Alcohol was banned on base in Iraq and Afghanistan for many years during the War on Terror.

​​​​​​Some SEALs have set a bad example. Every time they were on their holiday, they would always go to bars, get drunk, and start fighting other men in the bar. One of them went to jail for it once, and after they found out he's a SEAL, they let him go.

Formally, drinking is considered a habit to be put to rest before you get to BUD/S

I read about all this so I'm pretty sure it's accurate.

Comment

Also, the ones who aren't going to make it will be partying in San Diego and Coronado every night. Do not go with them. Just go to sleep.

Comment

Working...
              X