Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Scout Team Road Trip

Would you be interested in attending an event to find out more about us and maybe get in a little workout? We're putting together a list of places for a road trip. PM Scott Williams (Admin)and tell him your location.
2 of 2 < >

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Download the free Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Download: http://www.sealswcc.com/PDF/naval-sp...roke-guide.pdf
See more
See less

Hoo-ya hey, did you run today?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoo-ya hey, did you run today?!

Fire it up and sound off! Did you run today?!

I ran a 10 mile race this morning. My personal goal was 1:40:00, and I turned in 1:26:26 (unofficial 'til the official results get posted up). I ran the race in my trusty Bates Desert Tactical Boots, the best running shoes I have ever owned!

I have integrated the core exercises from the PT Guide into my program and I can tell you that they make a serious difference in distance running performance. Big time gratitude goes out to Rosie Heiss for getting me hooked up with a PDF copy of the guide that I use now daily. IT WORKS!!

Today is an AWESOME running day everyone! Get out there and get some of it!!
    Tom Delaney
    St. Paul, Minnesota, USA

Re: Hoo-ya hey, did you run today?!

I am not a good runner, i hate to run, but every time i see one of your posts on here it always makes me mad and i go run.this one is no exception. That is an EXCELLENT TIME! congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by michael09 View Post
      I am not a good runner, i hate to run, but every time i see one of your posts on here it always makes me mad and i go run.this one is no exception. That is an EXCELLENT TIME! congratulations!
      Woo-haaa!! Fire it up Michael!

...and I read your message and now I'm thinkin' "Michael's goin' for a run...man, how soon can I hit the pavement again?!!"

Guts, pride and loyalty Michael, you got it!!
      Tom Delaney
      St. Paul, Minnesota, USA

Comment

Well shoot, now really I have to step it up...I've been trying to get my 4-mile run under 00:32:00 (it's roughly around 00:32:30 right now) and here you go running 250% the distance at the same ruddy pace. Hooyah to that, I'm going to have to load up my copy of that "Run to Cadence with the U.S. Navy SEALs" CD onto my new phone and get out and play some catch-up.
        I stood and stared; the sky was lit,
        The sky was stars all over it,
        I stood, I knew not why,
        Without a wish, without a will,
        I stood upon that silent hill
        And stared into the sky until
        My eyes were blind with stars and still
        I stared into the sky.
        -Ralph Hodgson, "The Song of Honour"

Comment

Originally posted by cloud View Post
          Well shoot, now really I have to step it up...I've been trying to get my 4-mile run under 00:32:00 (it's roughly around 00:32:30 right now) and here you go running 250% the distance at the same ruddy pace. Hooyah to that, I'm going to have to load up my copy of that "Run to Cadence with the U.S. Navy SEALs" CD onto my new phone and get out and play some catch-up.
          Hey, a line from cadence I listen to on my "motivation runs" every week -- "You can make it, if you try!!"

Cloud, one thingto check out with running to cadence is what pace of running it throws you into. It might be a little slower than what you're shooting for, My experience with "double time" cadence is that it'll get me approximately a 10-minute mile depending on my stride length. Running with a weighted vest, sounds good , I'll take it. But for speed training, doesn't work for me.

Stay motivated, keep running, and it will happen!! Post up your progress and keep the rest of us motivated!!
          Tom Delaney
          St. Paul, Minnesota, USA

Comment

Hoo-ya! Three mile recovery run to cadence this morning!
            Nice and easy!
            Tom Delaney
            St. Paul, Minnesota, USA

Comment

My first Ultramarathon yesterday. 50.2 miles of mountain trails in 9:57 and I am pretty sure I placed in the top 25% too. If anyone one out there wants to test their mental endurance, these are a great way to do it.

I wish my body felt good enough for a recovery run today but the best thing I can do is probably to stay off my swollen ankles.

Comment

Aw man, Elaak! THAT is motivation!!

I am hoping an ultra is out there in my future...no, wait...I am LOOKING FORWARD to the ultra that is out there in my future.

Serious congratulations to you. Job well done!!
                Tom Delaney
                St. Paul, Minnesota, USA

Comment

Thanks Delaney, it definitely feels awesome to have accomplished it. Let us know which ultra you choose and maybe we can get a few NSW wanna-bes such as ourselves running at one event. On that note, I am pretty sure that I am signing up for the Virgil Crest 100 miler in up state NY. End of September if anyone else wants to run for a day or more. They have a 50 miler too.

http://www.virgilcrestultras.com/

Also,
                  If anyone has any advice about recovery from these kinds of events, let me know please. I want to get back to it so I can prepare for the 100 but I also don't want to run myself into the ground. As of now, I am taking the week off from running and adding in some more swimming.

Comment

Hooyah to that, I'm going to have to load up my copy of that "Run to Cadence with the U.S. Navy SEALs" CD onto my new phone and get out and play some catch-up.
                    I have been listining to that for 3 months man, i can say all of them in order at this point, haha.

Comment

Aaaaalright! Delaney checkin' in here! Been doing my 3-mile route with a 35 lb vest every day since Monday. Hittin' it again this morning 'cuz this this thread gets me fired up! Hoo-yah!!!
                      Tom Delaney
                      St. Paul, Minnesota, USA

Comment

Delaney I have been thinking about purchasing a weight vest to incorporate it into my running and calisthenics workouts. I have not decided what kind of weight vest I should buy.

I know you run with your weight vest so I was wondering what kind of weight vest you run with? and where I can purchase one.

Comment

Originally posted by rosin789 View Post
                          Delaney I have been thinking about purchasing a weight vest to incorporate it into my running and calisthenics workouts. I have not decided what kind of weight vest I should buy.

I know you run with your weight vest so I was wondering what kind of weight vest you run with? and where I can purchase one.
                          and which one prevents chaffing the best?

Comment

I know you're asking Delaney, but I thought I'd chime in as well.

I typically take my 50-lb vest on a 2-mile run once every week. I have had the V-Max 50-lb Short Vest from weightvest.com for a few years now. It's comfortable in general with a shirt on under it though as you'd expect with any weight vest it can leave the shoulders a bit uncomfortable as that is where gravity tends to pull the weight.

In the summertime I don't like wearing a shirt on under it and find that it moves around a bit much and this is uncomfortable particularly on bare skin. I don't have the largest pecs either, so someone that "fills it out" more may not have such an issue here but, in my case, when running the vest bounces up and down with each stride and so chafing does happen.

For the above discomfort/chafing reasons, I'd like to try the Xvest X4040, which certainly looks like it would be more comfortable. Unfortunately I don't have $250 to drop on a weighted vest at the moment so I'll be sticking with what I have.

Edit: Looking on the V-max site, it looks like there are some customization options now which weren't available a few years back when I bought mine. In particular, the "Running Pad" for the extra $10 looks like it might be a decent solution to the discomfort I experience with mine.

Edit 2: Also, another point for the Xvest: While I've never used it, the actual vest itself seems more socially acceptable; you won't be running around looking like you're wearing a bomb...
                            I stood and stared; the sky was lit,
                            The sky was stars all over it,
                            I stood, I knew not why,
                            Without a wish, without a will,
                            I stood upon that silent hill
                            And stared into the sky until
                            My eyes were blind with stars and still
                            I stared into the sky.
                            -Ralph Hodgson, "The Song of Honour"

Comment

...and so chafing does happen...
                              The Delaney soloution...duct tape! That's right! I get a friction lesion on my shoulder once in a while from my beloved V-Max vest, and then all I do is cut a length of duct tape and slap it on there. Good to go! I love my 50 lb V-Max vest because it has a convenient chest zipper pocket and I get motivated by the "I'm carrying 20 clips of ammo for my team" look. Plus, I made a serious fitness journey with that vest, so I guess I have developed something of a sentimental attachment to it -- maybe it's an Irish thing. ;)

...this morning, 3 miles, 35 lbs, 31:06, "You can take a look at us and see we're motivated! / You can take a look at us you know we're dedicated! Lo-righta-lay-o! A-lefty-righta-lay-o!"
                              Tom Delaney
                              St. Paul, Minnesota, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X