Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Download the free Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Download: http://www.sealswcc.com/PDF/naval-sp...roke-guide.pdf
See more
See less

5 mile run time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 5 mile run time

    I just did a run after going to the gym. I wanted to just do it and work on longer distances, my time for the 5 mile run was 40 minutes. In running shoes and shorts, and I suck at running, but I wasn't out of breath like I normally would be. At the last half mile I kept going faster and faster and I was not even tired, legs hurt but that is it. Would that mean I am doing good with my runs? I am a swimmer not a runner, so I don't know much about running. Any advice or criticism about it would be nice, I would like opinions.

  • #2
    Re: 5 mile run time

    Considering you're running an 8 minute mile which is the baseline for most timed runs that'd good, but it's going to be harder on the beach in pants and boots, so something around 7:30 per mile or lower would be ideal. Other than that it sounds real good. Work up the mileage too.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 5 mile run time

      If you aren't bent over dry-heaving at the end of a long run, you can go faster. 5 miles in 40 minutes is pretty much the slowest you want to be, its not terribly slow, but you really want to be doing better than an 8min mile. Just run more, play with paces, and you see that 5 mile time drop in no time.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 5 mile run time

        You'll be fine. Quit worrying about your pace and such and just run. Just show up with a good base and Pre BUDs will get you where you need to be. That doesn't mean drink beer and become a ******...just do as much as you can. Just know where you need to be before you ship.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 5 mile run time

          I haven't ran anymore than a mile straight, so I am not expecting to be great. But giving me a base I was wondering if it was a good start. My goal is to get 6:30/mile before I take the PST. After that I will just keep getting better from the conditioning stuff in Illinois an indoc. I could have done better, my legs did hurt but I could have gone faster. I was not out of breath, actually I was pretty energized still. I just gave what I saw, maybe next time I do a 5 mile I will get a more exact time giving it my all. As long as I am at a 32 minute time, I am happy. It shows that once I go in for conditioning, I will just keep getting better.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 5 mile run time

            Ewall11, I agree I could have gone faster. I do not know why I didn't. At the last 2.5miles I actually started going for time. When I did crew I did 3 miles within 19-21 minutes. So I know, that once my running is back in shape, I will do great.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 5 mile run time

              I think that your body should be exhausted before you're out of breath on longer distances. But I don't think you need to time every run you go on, just run a solid couple of miles at a somewhat fast pace. If you're not tired by the end, pick it up for next time. If you're so tired you can't finish, slow down.

              I find that if I pay attention to my breathing towards the beginning of the run, I should be able to set my pace nicely. You should still be breathing heavy, but then your heart rate and breathing will somewhat flatline... Your breathing shouldn't be getting harder as you continue at the same pace, unless you're going too fast. That is how I set my pace.

              Also, a good idea is to run with a partner. Running with a buddy is a great way to pace yourself, at least pace the mind. Obviously, don't be chit- chatting while running too much... But as a general rule of thumb... If you can squeeze out maybe half a sentence, then need to take a breath, you're going at the right pace.

              I don't know, this is the stuff that I focus on while running, and that works for me. Just do a whoooole lot of it. Trust me, it sucks at first, but then you get more used to being exhausted, is my experience, at least. Good luck!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 5 mile run time

                Originally posted by WaterFrog View Post
                I haven't ran anymore than a mile straight, so I am not expecting to be great. But giving me a base I was wondering if it was a good start. My goal is to get 6:30/mile before I take the PST.
                The PST is 1.5 miles. Speedwork is good, you're going to want to run at a faster pace for shorter distances, but if you only run 1 mile to train for a 1.5 mile race... You're setting yourself up for failure. Your goal should be between 30-50 miles a week before you go to BUD/S and you're logging less than 10.

                You're setting yourself up for failure if you're jumping straight from 1 mile to 5. You need to mix fast runs, easy runs, LSD runs, and sprints. Take a look at the PTG before you screw yourself. If you're waiting for Pre-BUD/S to prepare you, you'll fail out of BUD/S. A better goal would be to run a mile in <5:30
                My Training Blog - http://jag5543.blogspot.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 5 mile run time

                  I went off of the NSW and after that I built myself a different workout. I am starting out 5 miles every other day for now, then I will build up. I am not relying on Pre-BUDS to build me up. I admit it is a conditioning phase, but it shouldn't be all a person relies on. I have a year to train, I plan on going in around Feb or later. I have plenty of time, I am not trying to go hard right now. I am just working on a base to start off of. Then I will build from that. I did the mile to see how I felt with longer distances again, since I haven't done them in a year. I felt great, so I know I can do longer distances better than I thought. Normally at the gym I do sets of 1 mile run at a 6:30 then a .5 walk 1 mile 6:30 repeat until I did 4 miles of running. That is how my workouts with running have been like.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 5 mile run time

                    Try to stay off treadmills as much as you can! It's a good alternative if you can't run outside for some reason, but you should try to do 100% of your running outside and preferably on grass, or dirt trails.
                    My Training Blog - http://jag5543.blogspot.com/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 5 mile run time

                      Originally posted by WaterFrog View Post
                      ...I have a year to train, I plan on going in around Feb or later. I have plenty of time, I am not trying to go hard right now. I am just working on a base to start off of. Then I will build from that. I did the mile to see how I felt with longer distances again, since I haven't done them in a year. I felt great, so I know I can do longer distances better than I thought. Normally at the gym I do sets of 1 mile run at a 6:30 then a .5 walk 1 mile 6:30 repeat until I did 4 miles of running. That is how my workouts with running have been like.
                      You have eleven months until you want to enter DEP. Then you will have a few months of trying to secure a contract for your desired NSW rating. Upon receiving this contract you will be given a ship date. So you have about a year and some change to get ready to ship out to basic.

                      Don't just arbitrarily start running at 5 miles every other day if you haven't had a structured long term running plan before. Jag5543 is right you need to be a well rounded runner and you should have various types of runs throughout the week. Try something like this.

                      (R-stands for Rest, no running)
                      Week1 3,3,3,3,3,3,R
                      Week2 3,3,5,3,3,3,R
                      Week3 3,5,5,3,3,3,R
                      Week4 3,5,5,5,3,3,R
                      Week5 3,5,5,5,5,5,R
                      Week5 5,5,5,5,5,5,R
                      Week6 5,3,5,7,5,5,R
                      Week7 5,7,3,5,7,5,R
                      Week8 5,7,3,7,7,5 ,R
                      Week9 7,7,3,7,7,5,R
                      Week10 7,7,3,7,7,7,R
                      Week11 7,7,3,7,5,10,R
                      Week12 5,10,3,7,7,12 ,R
                      Week13 5,10,3,7,7,15 ,R
                      Week14 5,10,3,10,7,15 ,R

                      By Week 14 of this schedule you will be running you will be running 50 miles a week. You can scale this back if you want and start with a Week of running 2 miles a day or whatever you have to do. Get a notebook and set REAL GOALS. Don't use the times you get to judge your readiness. You don't have to use this running plan but you do need a PLAN. Get serious about training, read everything you can on running, get running magazines, just be passionate as hell about your health and your fitness.

                      The PST scores are very attainable. You just have to be willing to put in the work to get em'.
                      "Continuous effort--not strength or intelligence--is the key to unlocking our potential." --Winston Churchill

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 5 mile run time

                        This is a good schedule but I think it would be beneficial to have a rest week every 4th week. Almost every training schedule I have read for running/swimming/cycling gives a rest week every 4th week where you dial back the miles to half of what you did the week before and then the next week resume your steady 10% increases per week. This is mainly for avoiding overuse injuries and just give your body the chance to recover.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 5 mile run time

                          Originally posted by ryguyc26 View Post
                          This is a good schedule but I think it would be beneficial to have a rest week every 4th week. Almost every training schedule I have read for running/swimming/cycling gives a rest week every 4th week where you dial back the miles to half of what you did the week before and then the next week resume your steady 10% increases per week. This is mainly for avoiding overuse injuries and just give your body the chance to recover.
                          I somewhat agree with you but on the flip side BUD/S is twice as long as that with no rest weeks at all. (except the 1 week following hell week) If your new to running then scale it back as much as you want. You will be able to reach a point where you can run every single week without taking weeks off. I'm not saying this has to be your running plan, but the idea of it makes sense. Slowly increase distances and varieties from week to week and definitely get your mileage up to 40-50 miles a week. Everyones training plans will be different and they should be, but you need a plan. When you get to BUD/S you can take it day to day because everything is scheduled for you. Until then you need to figure out exactly what your trying to achieve and then map out how you plan to achieve it.

                          Train HARD, Train SMART!!
                          "Continuous effort--not strength or intelligence--is the key to unlocking our potential." --Winston Churchill

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 5 mile run time

                            Originally posted by wizard View Post
                            I somewhat agree with you but on the flip side BUD/S is twice as long as that with no rest weeks at all. (except the 1 week following hell week) If your new to running then scale it back as much as you want. You will be able to reach a point where you can run every single week without taking weeks off. I'm not saying this has to be your running plan, but the idea of it makes sense. Slowly increase distances and varieties from week to week and definitely get your mileage up to 40-50 miles a week. Everyones training plans will be different and they should be, but you need a plan. When you get to BUD/S you can take it day to day because everything is scheduled for you. Until then you need to figure out exactly what your trying to achieve and then map out how you plan to achieve it.

                            Train HARD, Train SMART!!
                            I agree that you don't need a rest week, but not because there isn't one in BUD/s. Because in BUD/s you're running always in boots, and normally in soft sand. If you train like that all the time, I'm sure you will get injured.

                            You don't need a rest week because you get rest once a day per week already. In 7 weeks, that is 7 days of rest, which is plenty.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 5 mile run time

                              Keep up the good work brother, we will be pushing those times and distances soon enough no need to rush, just give it everything you got.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X