Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

Some advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some advice

Hello future NSW candidates ! I have a short story to tell that can potentially be advantageous to your training and also at BUD's. I have recently been training with a group of young men like myself looking to be future SEALs, SWCC, EOD, air rescue and divers. The training is ran by ex Navy Seals and it is pretty intense. Nothing too crazy but It sure does include some beat downs lol. So the first day their I showed up to a recruiting station to carpool to the training site with 5 other young men all looking to be SEALs as well and I was excited but extremely nervous. I had asked around for everyone's PST scores and I shared mine as well. This was a big mistake. So once I arrived to the training site, I met the man in charge and the first thing he asked me was " can you swim ? " and I said " yes I sure can. My swim times are usually 8:30s " he said " Cool. Can you run ? And I said the same thing about my running. So I've been training since this January and as I've posted below, my 1.5 mile run is pretty solid ! I thought I was golden when he said there was gonna be a 4 mile run. I quickly learned that I was terribly wrong. After a quick PT session I had noticed that I was a bit tired than everyone else but I figured I was fine. We began to stretch and after the stretch, we went for the 4 mile run at 10 AM and it was already blazing hot... I started running with the pack and everybody was laughing, joking around, TALKING, and then their was me. Struggling at a 9 minute mile pace. But why was I struggling ? The answer was, I was unprepared. I have NEVER trained in the heat and that sun really took the life out of me that day. I even got down on my knees and drank from a puddle of water on the ground ... Although I didn't quit, the man in charge said I was running to slow and he picked me up and took my to the area where we would begin the next training evolution. That was probably the worst 10 minutes of my life. I was SO depressed and disappointed in myself ... All the training I had been doing and for what ! But I got back on my feet and went for the swim. So now of course I have a pretty funny nick name. They call me " show and tell " lol. I just feel that I've created a little animosity between the other candidates and that I've given myself a bad rep. So the first lesson to be learned here is start training in the sun. Begin to slowly incorporate your workouts during the afternoon when it is the hottest. Second, keep your f^ck!ng mouth shut. Don't tell anyone your Athletic capabilities until you SHOW them. Although I had a bad first day and gave a bad first impression, I still continue to train with a full heart and I love my knew nickname ! Lol it motivates me and honestly, it's pretty funny and I'm glad it all happened. I'm just trying to make sure that the rest of you guys here don't make the same mistake when you get to BUD's. So good luck guys I hope my short story helps !

FNSWOP OUT !

P.S. This has mostly to do with running so I put it in the running area. Sorry if I put this post in the wrong area
    Senior at South Miami High School and aspiring Navy SEAL

" A man can only be beaten in two ways; If he gives up or he dies. "

MOCK PST JUNE 2ND 2014
    500 YD SWIM= 8:21
    Push= 83
    Sit= 71
    Pull= 20
    1.5 mile run= 8:47

Re: Some advice

Cool story, good advice.

Comment

OP,

I totally understand how you felt here and how this went for you, but I don't think you should take it seriously, and definitely don't think less of yourself compared to anyone else.

Training solely focused on PST scores and training to complete other unrelated activities like a 4 mile ruck run in a certain time are as different as chalk and cheese.

Especially if you've never done those things. You might as well have been a track athlete invited to a powerlifting contest.

Don't let it get in your head. If you see other people doing it, it means that you can do it too.

Now that you know what's required there, you know how to train.

Prepare, go back for round 2 and teach it a lesson. That's what I would do, because this needs to be defeated.

Comment

Fargo where were you the day that happened ? Lol im over it now but thanks for the advice man. Im not feeling down about it anymore
        Senior at South Miami High School and aspiring Navy SEAL

" A man can only be beaten in two ways; If he gives up or he dies. "

MOCK PST JUNE 2ND 2014
        500 YD SWIM= 8:21
        Push= 83
        Sit= 71
        Pull= 20
        1.5 mile run= 8:47

Comment

Working...
        X