Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

Preparing for land portage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing for land portage

It's long been said that land portage is the bane of most prospectives during first phase. On these forums there are people who have been to buds and are saying to prepare for land portage by doing heavy rucking with a weight vest in soft sand. SWONEC 3
    However land portage puts the stress more prominently on your head and neck if I understand correctly, while rucking is mostly shoulders.
    What are recommendations for preparing my head and neck?
    Thank you for reading.

If you feel your shoulders hurting or excess stress on your shoulders while rucking, then you're rucking wrong. Mr. Caviston advises against any exercises that strain the neck. It would probably be wiser to build up leg strength to prepare for land portage.
    "Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks. Then the doing of your work shall be no miracle. But you shall be a miracle." -Phillips Brooks

Comment

You should be doing squats, deadlifts, etc.

Neck specific exercises probably shouldn't be your focus prepping for land portage.
      Last edited by Jman4; 10-18-2017, 02:36 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity.

Comment

I strongly disagree. I think Squats and Deadlifts are pivotal to effective preparation overall and for land portage. Following an effective running program and implementing healthy and progressive neck work is also important. Rucking can be good too but it has to be progressive and done correctly. Also, land portage blows pretty badly regardless of your physical prep, so remember to consider that mental strength and attitude is a very dominant factor in doing this evolution, as with all others.

Comment

From a physiological standpoint land portage compresses the spine by putting the load on top of the head. It is designed to break you down so therefore if you do it a lot before going to buds you will have already broken down your spine. The best way to prepare would be to develop overall strength in order for your body to handle the excess load. By overall strength I mean every part of your body. That is the best way to prepare for land portage. Don't go around carrying stuff on your head to prepare as you will break yourself down before you even start.

Comment

Originally posted by dblackamdg View Post
            From a physiological standpoint land portage compresses the spine by putting the load on top of the head. It is designed to break you down so therefore if you do it a lot before going to buds you will have already broken down your spine. The best way to prepare would be to develop overall strength in order for your body to handle the excess load. By overall strength I mean every part of your body. That is the best way to prepare for land portage. Don't go around carrying stuff on your head to prepare as you will break yourself down before you even start.
            This x1000
            "Those who will not risk cannot win" - John Paul Jones

Comment

Working...
            X