Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

Preparation in High School

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Preparation in High School

    I am 16 and a Junior in High School. I am on my school's Cross Country, Track, and Swim team, I also swim for a club team in the summer time, and I started weightlifting to gain strength (not for endurance) a year ago. I'm putting this here because it seems that this relates to the Strength Training topic.

    How have people trained for the PST while in High School? Meaning both how did you find time and what did you do to train (i.e. stick to the NSW Guide or do your own thing)

    I've read the Naval Special Warfare guide and I don't do anything the way it says I should, since I'm
    on High School sports teams I just do what the coach tells me to do. And as for running, I can't run what I'm told to run at practice and then run what the NSW Guide tells me to do. (Right now I can run an 18:30 5k. And I haven't even tried the CSS yet but plan on doing so next summer)

    Should I keep going with the school teams or drop them and stick to the NSW Guide?

    Another thing regarding weight training. How are people doing the endurance weight training? Are they doing something like a 10x10, or a 1xfailure, or are you doing multiple sets to failure? I'm just trying to get some insight from other people to see what training methods might work. Especially now that I'm getting closer to the end of my high school career and towards enlisting.

  • #2
    Stick to what your coaches have you doing. I'm sure that is plenty of training volume regarding running and swimming. Maybe refine it to the NSW guide once you are done with High School sports. In regards to strength, mostly everyone on here is going to recommend the PTG. There are other programs out there as well. There is really no "best" but rather sticking to something you can consistently do and improve on.

    Comment


    • #3
      Focus on your sports during the training periods and seasons. What you do not want to do is end up over training by stacking the PTG workouts on top of your other sports.(More notably track and cross country)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Cthe_K View Post
        I've read the Naval Special Warfare guide and I don't do anything the way it says I should, since I'm on High School sports teams I just do what the coach tells me to do... Should I keep going with the school teams or drop them and stick to the NSW Guide?
        Stay with your school teams and listen to your coaches. You are probably following the same basic principles as the PTG. The PTG format was originally created primarily for candidates without much of a training background and without access to coaches. When you eventually train on your own (after you graduate), organize your training around the PTG format and I expect it will seem pretty similar to what you've always done.

        Mike Caviston
        Director of Fitness, NSWCEN

        Comment


        • #5
          I am in the same situation as you, and have been doing the same sports. I even have about the same 5k as you. I was thinking about wrestling this year instead of swimming, because my school has a good wrestling program, did you ever consider wrestling?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Logan.Kelly View Post
            I am in the same situation as you, and have been doing the same sports. I even have about the same 5k as you. I was thinking about wrestling this year instead of swimming, because my school has a good wrestling program, did you ever consider wrestling?
            I did consider it. But I'd rather get even more comfortable in the water and become an even better swimmer than become a wrestler. Even though I hear that wrestling really builds mental strength up. I guess it just depends on what you think you would enjoy doing more and which one you think would be more worth it in the long run.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Cthe_K View Post
              I am 16 and a Junior in High School. I am on my school's Cross Country, Track, and Swim team, I also swim for a club team in the summer time, and I started weightlifting to gain strength (not for endurance) a year ago. I'm putting this here because it seems that this relates to the Strength Training topic.

              How have people trained for the PST while in High School? Meaning both how did you find time and what did you do to train (i.e. stick to the NSW Guide or do your own thing)

              I've read the Naval Special Warfare guide and I don't do anything the way it says I should, since I'm
              on High School sports teams I just do what the coach tells me to do. And as for running, I can't run what I'm told to run at practice and then run what the NSW Guide tells me to do. (Right now I can run an 18:30 5k. And I haven't even tried the CSS yet but plan on doing so next summer)

              Should I keep going with the school teams or drop them and stick to the NSW Guide?

              Another thing regarding weight training. How are people doing the endurance weight training? Are they doing something like a 10x10, or a 1xfailure, or are you doing multiple sets to failure? I'm just trying to get some insight from other people to see what training methods might work. Especially now that I'm getting closer to the end of my high school career and towards enlisting.
              When I was in high school, I drank the Kool-Aid (bought all the "push your limits", "get ready for BUD/S because it'll be hard, so you have to get used to it now" ********) and would do hundreds of pushups and pullups and ab exercises multiple times a week, in addition to swimming and water polo. All I really needed was something like Stronglifts 5x5 or Tactical Barbell to supplement my sports cardio, and some calisthenics as finishers in those workouts, and I would have had fewer injuries in high school. I still had good PST scores out of high school but, as Mr. Caviston has said multiple times, what matters is how you get to those numbers. I would recommend you just stick to whatever swimming and running your coaches have you on, and supplement with some maximal strength training 2-3 times a week. Check out Tactical Barbell (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4J...dZMFZaOEE/view), it fits in very well with the PTG and it's what I currently use. Stick with your sports, the physical conditioning sports provide is the least of their benefits. The lessons in teamwork you learn are invaluable and the same goes for the friendships you form with your teammates. If you're looking for another sport to challenge yourself with, try water polo.

              Comment

              Working...
              X