Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

Setting up a home gym

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a home gym

I live in the country and am not really close to a gym making it much more convenient for me to set up a home gym rather than getting a membership. I have a bench press, some dumbbells, curl bar, and pullup bar, but I'm wondering if I should get any other equipment to be able to hit all the important muscles. I'm not looking into getting a ton of stuff but some real good and essential tools to build my body properly.
    All input is greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by ChristianTeoli View Post
    I live in the country and am not really close to a gym making it much more convenient for me to set up a home gym rather than getting a membership. I have a bench press, some dumbbells, curl bar, and pullup bar, but I'm wondering if I should get any other equipment to be able to hit all the important muscles. I'm not looking into getting a ton of stuff but some real good and essential tools to build my body properly.
    All input is greatly appreciated.
    I have a home gym due to similar reasons and just due to an odd work schedule. The only "membership" I have is a punch-card to use the community college natatorium. The following equipment I have is as follows:
    • Free-standing Squat rack + bumper plates + bench
    • Gymnastics Rings
    • Light & heavier pair of kettlebells (Including Dumbbells)
    • Homemade plyometric box
    • Road & Mountain Bike (I'm a huge cycling enthusiast)
    • Trail Running Shoes + Timex Ironman watch
    • Resistance Bands
    The following equipment I'm considering on purchasing & maybe an idea for you could be:
    • Concept2 Rower or Skierg (alt. to swimming)
    • Bulgarian Bag
    • Slam Ball
    • GHD Station
    • Kaehler Core (core column)

Comment

Ok, thanks! I'll look into purchasing that equipment. Do you feel like you can hit the entire body with this stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianTeoli View Post
        Ok, thanks! I'll look into purchasing that equipment. Do you feel like you can hit the entire body with this stuff?
        Honestly, it was an occasional build up of my gym due to spending; but, I believe that basic strength equipment that's portable such as rings/TRX and kettlebells, you can take them basically anywhere whether it's to the park or to the beach. I've got my money's worth already since I do travel here and there. While popular brands are known, but you can easily get your equipment at a fraction of the cost online or at off brand retailers...just got to be creative. Also, I'm simply a believer in training in the elements rather than being inside an air-conditioned box all the time. In closing, if you want to discuss my functioning with the equipment, my core and grip strength had boosted my calisthenic numbers by nearly 15%, just in a matter of 5-7 weeks (estimate).

Comment

Yeah, same here. I really enjoy training in the outdoors too. So your saying that rings and kettlebells are the best things to get? Of all workout equipment what in your opinion is the best for improving your body?
          Thanks for all your input!

Comment

ChristianTeoli, when I wrestled back in hs, kettlebells were defiantly a booster in conditioning and as well as other benefits (grip, core strength). For the gymnastics rings/TRX suspension straps, you can virtually do just about anything with them whether it's calisthenics, makeshift strength movements, or core work. From my perspective, it's defiantly worth the results as much as monetary savings.

Comment

Awesome. I'll definitely look into that.
              Thanks again for your thoughts!

Comment

I would get a weight vest. I have a 40lb one but only fill it half to 20 lbs. Works great when doing any bodyweight exercises. I got a cheap one on amazon.

Comment

Working...
                X