Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Scout Team Road Trip

Would you be interested in attending an event to find out more about us and maybe get in a little workout? We're putting together a list of places for a road trip. PM Scott Williams (Admin)and tell him your location.
2 of 2 < >

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Download the free Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Download: http://www.sealswcc.com/PDF/naval-sp...roke-guide.pdf
See more
See less

Training with & w/o a mask that covers the nose and other general Q's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training with & w/o a mask that covers the nose and other general Q's

I've been working on my CSS for quite some time, and throughout the duration of my swim training, I've been using a diving mask that covers the nose. I have absolutely zero problems when swimming in them, but without them, I feel that my ability is reduced considerably.

I know I should be as comfortable in the water as I could possibly be, but I was wondering if I should be worried. It seems like I have the opposite problem from what I've read on throughout these boards as I'm much more comfortable in dive goggles than without. So, should I really devote some swim training time to actually match non-masked swimming ability with my masked?

Also, I like to think that I am somewhat proficient with my CSS stroke with a average of around 8:40 for my 500yd, bilateral. I'm also very comfortable with it during my CHI and LSD sessions. The thing is, I am not at all as proficient with any other stroke, not even freestyle. Do you think that this would be fine for BUD/s? Or should I devote more time into learning the other common strokes?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Professional advice from the moderators would be immensely appreciated!

Thanks.

Re: Training with &amp; w/o a mask that covers the nose and other general Q's

All you do at BUD/s and for the rest of your career if you make it is the CSS so just do that.

Comment

Thanks Solid, that's what I figured. Just thought I'd look for some reassurance among this community.

Any other opinions, agreeing or disagreeing, would be helpful.

Comment

if your faster with it i'd stick with the mask covering your nose. I use one that doesn't cover mine on my PST' s only cause i can breathe through my nose, get more oxygen and therefore go faster. I say stick with having you nose covered because when diving you need to be used to only breathing through your mouth. This will pay off in second phase when your mask gets ripped off and you still have your regulator in your mouth, if you breathe in through your nose then well, obviously bad news.

Comment

Tthanks Jac25.

I was browsing these forums a while back and came up with that exact same consensus. It's only until recently that I've been really trying to zero in on my weaknesses that I actually started to second guess these assumptions. I'm prepared to alter my regime in order to accommodate for improving these points, but if I'm on track, then I'd rather stay on track, save time and keep on improving other areas.

Again, any input is appreciated.

Comment

I started my swim training using a full dive mask (US divers) but about a month ago I switched to traditional swim goggles that do not cover my nose.

I noticed immediately that I was uncomfortable with water rushing up my nose, etc - so I decided to stick with the swim goggles to better acclimate myself to the uncomforts of it.

I do notice though when I swim with the full mask, I can manage my breathing easier, etc as I dont have to worry about my nose.

I say to swim with regular goggles as oppose to the full mask - only because its more difficult.

Comment

Thanks, warhammer. That's exactly the same thought that made me create this thread.

I would really appreciate it if an Admin/Moderator, or any official person, could lend their input on this.

Comment

This is the comment from one of our former swim instructors, an active duty SWCC:

"Most of the swim training is done in a dive mask, however there are numerous
                scenarios where the mask will be absent as you work through a problem.
                Learning to swim without a mask can help your comfort ability in the water
                in general. Your swim time is good and sounds like you have a solid base to
                get started in training. Knowing the other strokes is great and the NSW prep
                course will teach you even more."

Hope that helps.
                Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
                35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

That was the very information I needed.

Thank you Scott Williams.

Comment

I have the complete opposite effect as you do. When swimming with a dive mask that covers my nose I have a hard time breathing but it's extremely easy to breathe with regular swim goggles on. I am also working on attaining my Dive Master Certification right now and have absolutely no problem breathing with a regulator in or when the regulator is out of my mouth or vice versa with the mask off my face and regulator in my mouth; no problems there whatsoever.

Comment

i took my first pst yesterday with a full mask and was told i needed to break myself away from any goggles period. Becoming as comfortable as possible in the water is what we need to strive for because there will be situations where we will not have them at all.

Comment

After what I've learned from this thread and from the numerous input I've received, I'm pretty sure it's in my best interest to get comfortable swimming without goggles. At least I could center my focus on that, since I've got my form squared away (to a certain degree). I plan on moving down to regular swimming goggles, then go goggle-less in the next few weeks. I really appreciate all the advice guys.

Comment

When swimming in normal goggles, I find that my nasal cavity naturally fills with water. How do most of you cope with this?

Should I get comfortable with keeping the water in there, while breathing normally through my mouth? Or, should I constantly let it fill up and purge with every exhale? I don't rotate too much and swim my CSS generally on my side. I figure that this might be common for those with the same style.

Comment

Originally posted by stevendelro View Post
                            When swimming in normal goggles, I find that my nasal cavity naturally fills with water. How do most of you cope with this?

Should I get comfortable with keeping the water in there, while breathing normally through my mouth? Or, should I constantly let it fill up and purge with every exhale? I don't rotate too much and swim my CSS generally on my side. I figure that this might be common for those with the same style.
                            im having the same problem...i tried to tough it out today but some times id get to much water in the back of my throat and id shut down and stop swimming.

Comment

Being a former swimmer/football player at the college level it helps to exhale through your nose while underwater in a "controlled" manner, much like you would do above the water. This eliminates water in your nose and creates a steady breathing habit.

Comment

Working...
                              X