Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

Trouble Floating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble Floating

To give you some background as to why I was taking the swim test, I'm actually in the sea cadets. So we were doing a 5 minute float with our faces down in the water and I kept noticing that I was sinking rather than floating. Could this be contributed to the lack of body fat I have?

Originally posted by snoegip View Post
    To give you some background as to why I was taking the swim test, I'm actually in the sea cadets. So we were doing a 5 minute float with our faces down in the water and I kept noticing that I was sinking rather than floating. Could this be contributed to the lack of body fat I have?
    Yes I'm pretty sure the less body fat you have the more you start sinking when you get In water

Comment

I'm about 5% body fat and I do just fine. Snoegip, just work on treading water. Just keep practicing.

Comment

Originally posted by Roboscout 302 View Post
        I'm about 5% body fat and I do just fine. Snoegip, just work on treading water. Just keep practicing.
        Thanks, will do

Comment

Working on treading is not going to help you float any better. Keeping your legs as full as possible with air and trying to maintain that question mark shape with your body is most important. I'm really negative in the water and I have the same problem.

Comment

Focus on using your lungs for buoyancy control. Take really deep breaths and hold them in long, and when you release don't release all of your air, hold some in for buoyancy, and if you need to clear it out just do quick breaths and eventually take a nice deep one to keep you floating. You should be able to drown proof yourself fully tied with only using lungs for buoyancy. Some will say dont drown proof alone blah blah, do whatever you feel safe, if you feel you need a swim buddy then find one to help watch. You should be able to hold yourself up with the air in your lungs and float that way. When you are comfortable floating you should be able to simply float stationary and just lift your nose or mouth up to the surface to grab air and remain floating, you should not need to tread if you are doing proper breathing technique to float yourself.
            "Lord, let me not prove unworthy of my brothers."

"Ace Ventura: If you were me, then I'd be you, and I'd use *your* body to get to the top. You can't stop me no matter who you are!"

“Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” - Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
            X