Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

breathing out all air problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breathing out all air problem

Hey boys so on the main forum heres what it says about breathing: The exhale should take place entirely subsurface, and should finish *right before* your head rotates to breathe. The exhale should be complete, to flat lungs. The inhale should be as deep as possible, as full as possible and as sudden as possible. It should make a "sound" almost like a gasp. Every single breath you take in that pool needs to be like this. Every one of them from 100% flat lungs to 100% full with new air.

My problem i keep on running into is going to flat lungs underwater. In order for me to do that, i would have to extend the glide for at least 5-6 seconds. My question is when i exhale, should just blow out all that air as fast and sudden as possible or should i keep it steady and slow?

There's a lot of really experienced swimmers and coaches on here, which I'm not, and I'm sure they will have better input than me. But I would say breath out harder. Not as hard as possible, but maybe try to maintain a 3-4 seconds under water exhaling. Work on timing it with your stroke so everything is smooth and efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by adamff21 View Post
      Hey boys so on the main forum heres what it says about breathing: The exhale should take place entirely subsurface, and should finish *right before* your head rotates to breathe. The exhale should be complete, to flat lungs. The inhale should be as deep as possible, as full as possible and as sudden as possible. It should make a "sound" almost like a gasp. Every single breath you take in that pool needs to be like this. Every one of them from 100% flat lungs to 100% full with new air.

My problem i keep on running into is going to flat lungs underwater. In order for me to do that, i would have to extend the glide for at least 5-6 seconds. My question is when i exhale, should just blow out all that air as fast and sudden as possible or should i keep it steady and slow?
      Fargo gave me some good advice when I was struggling with this. I'm by no means an expert swimmer, so hopefully some of the good swimmers and coaches will chime in.

Personally, here's what works for me:
      Kick off the wall and exhale steadily, breaststroke kick, pull, And then as I rotate to surface and breath I put a little extra 'oomph' in my exhale to completely flatten my lungs, I then inhale with the sound you mentioned, and continue this throughout the entirety of my swim.

Hope this helps!
      "Those who will not risk cannot win" - John Paul Jones

Comment

Exhale out of your nose and mouth?

Other things: it really takes you 6 seconds to exhale? You must have super huge lungs. I think the "100%" hype thing is just something to shoot for. Just exhale as much as you can, as violently as is comfortable and suck in as much air as you can at the top. It doesn't need to be picture perfect. You just need to get across the pool.

I suppose you could start your exhale sooner if it really is a problem for you.

Comment

I've personally found it best when swimming for endurance or for speed that simply releasing my air for 3-5 seconds to empty my lungs and right before surfacing empty lungs fully then take the biggest quickest inhale using my diaphragm strength. The idea is to keep a continual steady leak of air to keep things in motion and to grab air as quick as possible. kinda like when running you get into a breathing rythym you want to do the same with swimming, but instead of a steady draw in like you would with running, you take a quick charge with your diaphragm and use that as an energy boost, but keep that slow leak so you don't feel all pressurized and potentially get light headed.

In conclusion, do a slow leak for 3-5 seconds to empty lungs, heavy violent emptying prior to resurface and then massive inhale once surfaced, hold for 1 second then leak 3-5 seconds. empty lungs fully and fill fully in between cycles. Focus on diaphragm breathing and strengthening using it to breath deeply, many people don't correctly use their diaphragm, most athletes will but focus on deep breathes and what it feels like to fill your lungs then empty them entirely. Try out a technique known as box breathing to assist, information about it can be found online, Mark Divine touches base on it.

Also no you won't be exhaling from your nose and mouth, it will be done through your mouth as you should be wearing a dive mask if you are not already doing so (learn to swim with and without one)

P.S Get violent with that exhale prior to resurface and suck wind like its your last breath (or your about to dive down like an old frogman with bolt cutters to snip the chain of a mine), if you still have issues after that I am out of suggestions, push and suck wind like you're about to die if you don't get those breaths in. Hell to any one who says you shouldn't train like your in BUD/S, train like you fight and fight like you train. Get ****'n angry and unleash the beast within!
          "Lord, let me not prove unworthy of my brothers."

"Ace Ventura: If you were me, then I'd be you, and I'd use *your* body to get to the top. You can't stop me no matter who you are!"

“Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” - Walt Disney

Comment

Thank you guys for all the advice. Will test it out today!

Comment

Is this Combat Side Stroke that you're swimming?

Comment

Originally posted by adamff21 View Post
                Thank you guys for all the advice. Will test it out today!
                How did it go ?
                "Lord, let me not prove unworthy of my brothers."

"Ace Ventura: If you were me, then I'd be you, and I'd use *your* body to get to the top. You can't stop me no matter who you are!"

“Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” - Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
                X