Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

Knee pain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee pain?

I just started to regularly work out, about every day or so, and am trying to learn and improve my CSS. So whenever i scissor kick hard i feel a pain in my right knee, am i kicking too hard or is it something i just have to push past, like when using fins the flexability in your ankles arent as good, so it hurts for a while as your ankles get used to the fins.

This depends a lot on whether your kick is being done correctly or not.

Do you swim on both sides?

Are you snapping the leg into full (knee) extension at the close of the kick?

If you put up a 100Y swim video on YT and post the link here, I would be happy to take a look at it and see if I can spot what's causing it. And then move on to making it stop.

Comment

Originally posted by fargo007 View Post
      This depends a lot on whether your kick is being done correctly or not.

Do you swim on both sides?

Are you snapping the leg into full (knee) extension at the close of the kick?

If you put up a 100Y swim video on YT and post the link here, I would be happy to take a look at it and see if I can spot what's causing it. And then move on to making it stop.
      https://youtu.be/WdGTmj_D8mo this is the link and btw i know my form is horrible but if there are any tips to improve i would like to hear them.

Comment

Okay, I took a look.

You definitely need a lot of work, and to go back to the basics Irish. Watch the official video for the drills and start working on them. Also look at some example swimmers and some videos I put up of before & after swimmers to pick out good examples to follow.

Pay attention to their body position - how flat they are in the water compared to yourself. Also note how much you are lifting your head out of the water. ** These two things are really hurting you badly because you are canceling out the propulsion you are paying for with drag, due to your hips dropping way down.

Also, there's no streamline here. Not off the wall, and not at the top of the stroke cycle.

So, it's hard with the camera distance and shaking to see what's going on very precisely with the legs, but I can see this right away - not swimming on both sides means you are asking your right knee to do the same job all the time.

If you swam on both sides (you absolutely must), that knee's workload in that movement would get cut in half.

Long story short, I believe this is an overuse injury more than anything else.

The medicine is:

1 - Go back to the drills. No hard swimming until you are really a master of the drills and showing good body position. You'll just reinforce bad habits. Do the drills on BOTH SIDES.

2 - Whenever you do swim full stroke, swim 2:1 on the new side. Do this until there is no more "weak" side anymore, and they are the same. The only thing you want to have that's weak is an opponent.

Take 3-4 weeks and work on this stuff. This isn't a workout - it's mindful practice. You should be thinking hard about how each drill is going. If you can set up a camera and see it yourself, all the better.

If I'm right, your knee pain will go away because it will be getting a break, and you'll be on the right path to fixing those issues and getting faster. Come back with another video and I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

/Coach Freddy

Comment

Is it an annoying itchy sort of pain right under your patella and is there a bump there as well? It sounds like jumpers knee to me which isn't an actual problem as long as you're not a little *****. Just don't ever mention it. Or at least don't mention that you currently have pain but you can say you've had it in the past and you no longer feel pain there now. If it's something other than jumper's knee though you might want to get it checked out. No matter what it is, as long as you can push past it and it won't have any adverse affects on you, you'll be fine as long as you never mention it to medical.

Comment

Working...
          X