Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

CSS critique

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSS critique

been practicing my technique and breathing. 500yard is around 9;50. Aiming for 9:00 next. Thanks for any criticism and tips.
    https://youtu.be/SyQbaalMgtA (only 50 yard video)

Not a bad stroke, but there are some minor refinements that would make you more efficient. Make your glide more stream line by squeezing your head with your biceps and keeping your feet close together. Stop all the random flicking of your feet. I would also recommend practicing without the double arm pull because some mentors don't allow it. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
      Not a bad stroke, but there are some minor refinements that would make you more efficient. Make your glide more stream line by squeezing your head with your biceps and keeping your feet close together. Stop all the random flicking of your feet. I would also recommend practicing without the double arm pull because some mentors don't allow it. Hope this helps.
      Thanks for the tips ive been working on being more streamline and not doing random flutter kicks. And thats good to hear about the double arm pull I usually dont use it past 250 yards anyways because it tires me out.

Comment

Good Stroke. I did notice how you would start to move towards the wall and not staying straight. This can be fixed by keeping your eyes forward. You want your eyes and arm to pointing in the direction you are going.

Comment

The video isn't long enough for a proper critique.

1 - You need to swim on both sides. An effective turn depends on this.
          2 - Streamline is terrible. There's no distance in glide because of this.
          3 - Breathing is late, creating a dead spot where you are sinking down. Breathe with the first pull. Your inhale should be with a straight arm in front of you.
          4 - Legs are separated and drifting outside the cone of the body. e.g. "Back streamline"
          5 - Get a jammer type swimsuit. It's worth as much as 20+ seconds on your 500Y.

Comment

Originally posted by fargo007 View Post
            The video isn't long enough for a proper critique.

1 - You need to swim on both sides. An effective turn depends on this.
            2 - Streamline is terrible. There's no distance in glide because of this.
            3 - Breathing is late, creating a dead spot where you are sinking down. Breathe with the first pull. Your inhale should be with a straight arm in front of you.
            4 - Legs are separated and drifting outside the cone of the body. e.g. "Back streamline"
            5 - Get a jammer type swimsuit. It's worth as much as 20+ seconds on your 500Y.
            Thank you for the tips, since posting this I now swim on both sides, have improved my technique and bought a jammer. Will continue to improve.

Comment

Excellent Terrence,

If you put up a second video I'd be happy to take a look at it when you are ready. Just make sure it's 100Y minimum because a short video hides a lot sins and doesn't give an accurate picture of how the stroke technique, rate, and effort is maintained.

Since you're swimming on both sides, you are ready to start doing a single plane open turn. There are tutorials on YT for this that are excellent IMHO. Search for "open turn sequence."

e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+turn+sequence

Comment

Excellent Terrence,

If you put up a second video I'd be happy to take a look at it when you are ready. Just make sure it's 100Y minimum because a short video hides a lot sins and doesn't give an accurate picture of how the stroke technique, rate, and effort is maintained.

Since you're swimming on both sides, you are ready to start doing a single plane open turn. There are tutorials on YT for this that are excellent IMHO. Search for "open turn sequence."

e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+turn+sequence
                Those turns helped me swim a PR today (9:05) and I havent even perfected them yet. Im swimming alone now so Ill put up a video when I get another chance to swim with someone. I apreciate the help from everyone and with some better technique and turns I hope to hit 8:30 soon

Comment

Wow, 45 seconds of improvement after one critique is amazing. Once you start hitting under 8:30, it's time to really drill down on the small stuff and get down into the 7's.

If you want some advice on planning or modifying your swim workouts to power this, I'm happy to help there too.

Comment

Wow, 45 seconds of improvement after one critique is amazing. Once you start hitting under 8:30, it's time to really drill down on the small stuff and get down into the 7's.

If you want some advice on planning or modifying your swim workouts to power this, I'm happy to help there too.

Thank you, I could definetly use advice on my workouts. Currently Im swimmimg 4 times a week and doing 100,200 and 250 intervals and 1 day a week I do longer swims around 500. I know that is not long but I am still working on my conditioning. I usually do a 1:1 work to rest ratio when doing shorter sprints. I keep my 100s under 1:40 and my 250s can be as fast as 4:15 sometimes. My workouts are usually 1000-1500 yards with treading at the end.

Comment

Working...
                    X