Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

Lake or pool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake or pool?

I don’t have access to a pool much, as it’s either closed or packed to the brims. But I have a lake nearby that I go to multiple times a week. Is it going better to go to the lake or the pool?

A pool is just a small artificial lake. Both work.

Comment

Use of a pool and a lake. You're lucky.

Comment

I BELIEVE DON'T QUOTE ME: A POOL IS MAN MADE AND HAS A CERTAIN BOUANCY SYSTEM CONCURRENT WITH BEING WATER; MAINLY FROM WATER BEING HELD IN A POOL,"A POOL" HOWEVER A LAKE HAS DIFFERENT DEPTHS AND HAS DIFFERENT AREAS OF BOUANCY, OR FLOATUENCE, ABILITY TO ASPIRE IN MOVING REACTING FLUID; JUST AS AN OCEAN IN CERTAIN PLACES YOU WILL FIND IT EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO STAY ABOVE WATER, EVEN TREADING WATER, OR FLOATING; BECAUSE OF INCONSISTENT AREAS,IE, NATURAL MIXTURES OF WATER, AND OCEAN SUBSTANCES, OR OBJECTS MOVING UNDER YOU; I WOULD GET MY TASTE OF AQUATICA SENSATIONS; FROM THE LAKE IF YOU ASK ME. THIS SEEMS MORE REALISTIC OF SURVIVAL, AND MORE PRACTICAL FOR TRAINING MEMORY, OF NAVIGATION ,AND OTHER; BUT JUST A SUGGESTION, MY PERSONAL OPINION. THANKS MSV.

Comment

That’s what I was thinking. But now it’s 40 degrees out. So back to the pool I go.

Comment

You're going to need to do your training for the PST in a pool. The fact that this is where you will be tested notwithstanding, a huge part of developing your technique in the stroke, and all of the other race elements (turns, breakouts, etc) are only measurable in a consistent, fixed environment, and this is what a pool provides. Even with regard to fin swims - You'll be tested in prep in a 50M pool for your exit test.

Open water has its place in your training cycle for fin swims and navigation work, but this is well after you're hitting solid, above-average PST swim times, and your tread and water con game are well polished.

Unfortunately there's very little you can do in open water that will predictably help your PST swim time. When it comes to training for your 2 nm open water swims though, the lake will start to shine.

Comment

I figured that. Already got the membership to the pool. Thanks for the answer

Comment

Working...
              X