Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

Comments on my CSS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments on my CSS?

I have been swimming the CSS for about a month now and I can feel the improvement but I know the stroke is still lacking. Any comments and advice is appreciated.

http://youtu.be/djtMIQW-cds

Re: Comments on my CSS?

Since no one else has commented on the obvious things I'll help ya out. Since there is a nasty glare can't really tell if you are flutter kicking inbetween your main scissor kick. You are losing a lot of momentum which I hope that you can see/feel also. This seems to be caused by two different things. 1. I don't think that you are looking straight down to the pool bottom keeping your body perfectly on one axis. 2. when you breath you are moving your neck. you should be rotating your body on the one axis I was talking about earlier. Once you fix that you will carry more speed with working less. I'm sure you will have a post from a guy name Fargo... take his words for gold. He will probably post a video on turns. Your turns are really really slow. needs to be fixed big time. Also the double arm pull some people use it some don't its all about personal opinion. I can see that a few of your breakouts off the wall when you double arm pull you don't glide after that either. The longer your underwater gliding the faster you'll be. Try those few things and post a new vid. Also how is your conditioning?

Comment

First off, thanks for the advice. And about the glare I apologize. I'll post another video sometime soon (next week I hope) and I'll make sure I fix that. When I first started I was flutter kicking a lot. I've been working hard on fixing that and I feel like I've done a decent job with minimizing the flutter kicks as much as possible. As for the turns, I really was just focusing as much as possible on staying flat and trying to have good form I didn't notice how slow I was making my turns but now that you point out how slow they are I will make sure and work on them.
      On the double arm pull, is it better to not do it if I'm running out of breath? Or should I just work on doing the arm pull until I can comfortably glide?
      For my conditioning I am swimming a 500 every Monday and trying to do better each week. Right now I am swimming a 500 in 12 minutes. Which I realize needs work. Then on Wednesdays I generally do sprints, usually 100 meters. I do 5 sets, making sure every lap is under 25-30 seconds. And on Friday I am swimming LSD. I swim a mile every Friday. Which I think is 36 laps, but not positive.
      I wish I had more time in the pool but with baseball I am only able to get in three times a week so I just try and make the most of it. Feel free to give me some pointers on the conditioning.

Comment

Hi Joe,

Yeah, scott1995 hit a lot of the things I saw as well but I will concentrate on the big ones.

The bad news is that you have a lot to work on. The good news is that they are big things which when fixed will cut big chunks of time off. With a chainsaw rather than a scalpel.

First, the turns: Just follow this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx31AJjif0o

Some would say worry about the turns later but if you make it a habit of performing proper turns EVERY TIME no matter what kind of swim you do, you leave no chance of regressing. Make every turn your best one.

Body position - slightly uphill. I can see you stopping/starting in the water due to a couple things. Make sure the only two places you are looking are straight down, and directly to the side. You are also breaching/lifting the head rather than rotating. Keep the crown of your head pointed at the far wall.

Arms/Hands - You are using a very lazy streamline. Even your lead arm is bent almost all the time, and frequently it breaches the surface which is further evidence that you are tilted upwards and not flat. If you don't feel biceps on your ears and locked elbows, it's lazy and slowing you down. This takes some stretching to loosen up those shoulders, especially if you do a lot of pushups/pull ups/dips. I can't see, but I suppose the second arm pull may be too long/deep because you are going pretty far under the water.

DA pull - Keep doing it for now, but stop bending your legs right after. That is a compensation for lack of balance but you will get better at it as time goes by. Ankles together while in the streamline at all times.

General - The pulls and kick are being done softly, without an aggressive intent to catch water and swim past your hand. Think about swimming on the ground in mud. You stick your hand in, and pull yourself past it. You can swim this stroke 100% perfect and turn in a 14 minute 500Y. To go faster you have to nail your form, AND hit all the stroke elements aggressively.

Kick - There's very little propulsion in your kick. It's hard to examine it properly with the glare, but it looks like it's being done in a laissez faire way - without any stink put into it. Use a kickboard to isolate this. There are videos on youtube that show correct technique for doing it with a scissor kick.

Suit - Get a jammer type suit. No other substitute.

I would not swim the 500Y all the time like that. You would be better off doing 500Y of mindful practice on stroke drills, and then doing intervals of 100Y (5x for starters). Warm down with 200Y of kick sets with your mind on making each one really launch you far. By all means, keep going with the LSD mile on Fridays. That's awesome. A lot of the newer swimmers have an extremely hard time reaching that distance. Time it and track the results. Swim it for good technique not for speed, and use the time as a measure of your form improvements.

Hope this helps and look forward to hearing how you are doing.

--Fargo007

Comment

Fargo-

Thank you on the critique, it is greatly appreciated. I can see I have a lot to work on but I am glad for having all the advice early in the training.
          I am going to adjust my workouts to more technique oriented things, worry less about the time, and focus on all the things mentioned. Once I feel that I have fixed the main problems with the stroke I'll be sure and post another video. And once again thank you, comparing with other CSS videos definitely helps, but hearing someone else's input helps much more to me.

Comment

Originally posted by fargo007 View Post
            Hi Joe,
            Suit - Get a jammer type suit. No other substitute.
            --Fargo007
            OR IF YOUR A MAN A SPEEDO HEHE

Comment

Working...
            X