Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

CSS Critique

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSS Critique

I've been working on my CSS for about a month and a half and believe it or not this video is much improved from day 1. I'm not a swimmer at all and was hoping for some pointers.
    1.) I know I'm coming out of the water too much; do I need to "roll" to my back more to breath rather than just coming straight out?
    2.) I see some people going flat after their kick but I find it easier to stay on my side. Does going flat make it easier to glide?
    3.) Gliding is also a problem. I stay on my side and I find my strokes to be very short; I come out of the water too quickly.

I'm sure ya'll can find a 4, 5, 6, and so on so thank you! For now, I'm not too worried about my turns I'm just focusing on the stroke.
    Sorry I'm in the second lane and I don't actually face the camera but after some pointers I'll be sure to post a better video.
    Thanks again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn3YeGiE7j0

Re: CSS Critique

Originally posted by gjcarter16 View Post
    I've been working on my CSS for about a month and a half and believe it or not this video is much improved from day 1. I'm not a swimmer at all and was hoping for some pointers.
    1.) I know I'm coming out of the water too much; do I need to "roll" to my back more to breath rather than just coming straight out?
    2.) I see some people going flat after their kick but I find it easier to stay on my side. Does going flat make it easier to glide?
    3.) Gliding is also a problem. I stay on my side and I find my strokes to be very short; I come out of the water too quickly.

I'm sure ya'll can find a 4, 5, 6, and so on so thank you! For now, I'm not too worried about my turns I'm just focusing on the stroke.
    Sorry I'm in the second lane and I don't actually face the camera but after some pointers I'll be sure to post a better video.
    Thanks again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn3YeGiE7j0
    I watched it. To your questions:

1 - Yes. This is your principal issue. You are lifting your head way out, and it is turning your body into a sideways buick in the water. You come to a complete stop every time you do it. I know some do the stroke effectively by staying on their side the whole time. But when an inexperienced swimmer does it, it is usually done more out of a desire to avoid swimming with your face in the water. Rotating means you are generating power from your core. I would recommend you start learning to rotate.

2 - The water doesn't care which way you are facing, as long as you are in a good streamline position. Yours needs a lot of work.

3 - Your kick actually looks pretty good. If you had a better streamline, you would go further with each stroke. You want your glide to match your kick power. You don't want to glide to a complete stop and then have to initiate movement again. Newer swimmers should use a shorter glide at first in my opinion until their streamline, and kicks and pulls are refined enough to support a longer one.

Leaving the turns aside. The way I would attack this is:

1 - fix that body position issue. Learn to breathe with one wet ear and one wet eye. You are only allowed to look at two things: The bottom, and the side wall you are breathing on. The official video here has drills in it. You want head lead and hand lead scissor kick drills to reinforce maintaining your head on axis while breathing. The crown of your head always points at the far wall. When you are breathing or not.

2 - Stretch your shoulders out to get a better streamline. It looks lazy up front with bent elbows. They should be locked out tight with your biceps on your ears. Lean on a wall with your hands and step back. Bend into a streamline. Adjust the stretch so that you feel it in the shoulders. Do that like 5x a day holding for :30 on, :30 off. Really relaxed stretch just let it open up.

I point out that it's a very good thing you are swimming on both sides. A lot of swimmers don't do that at first, and have to chase it later. Bravo on that.

Hope that helps!

--Fargo007

Comment

Fargo,
      Thanks a lot! Rotating so I'm looking up when I breathe rather than coming out helped a lot and really reaching my arms out did also. I notice that I don't stop and have to expend so much energy when i kick so I don't run out of breathe as easily and took over a minute and a half off my 300yd time. I can actually feel myself going faster.

Comment

Wow Carter, that's a huge time shave!

Don't presume that you can back off on that kick..... Like I said your kick looks pretty good so USE it! Instead of putting less into it, focus on getting more out of it.

The improvement you are feeling is due to you getting out of your own way (a.k.a. massive drag reduction). That strong kick will start to increase your distance per stroke and probably be one of your best assets. Put it this way.... I haven't seen anyone swimming fast times who didn't have a strong kick.

I am glad I could help you out. Get back in touch here if you need anything.

--Fargo007

Comment

Working...
        X