Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

SWIM CRITIQUE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWIM CRITIQUE

This is about 2 weeks of learning the basic concept of the CSS. Let me know what you think. I know i need to sharpen it up a bit... DONT MIND the first 5 seconds, had a scrub workin the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV7FWB7kyds

Re: SWIM CRITIQUE

How about instead of completely tearing you apart you first tell me what you're doing wrong mate? Please pm and I'll further instruct you.

Comment

1) your scissor kick is very weak. your legs are you biggest and best tools, so use them.
      2) your head position is also acting as a brake because you are looking parallel to the surface when you come up to breath. the only movement your head should be doing is looking left to right. practicing your freestyle should help with your breathing technique for the css.
      3) since you are going for time when you take the pst, you should practice your wall push-offs and your double arm pulls. if you look at the guys who are swimming 7-8 minutes, they are usually 10-15 across the pull before they even surface for breath.
      4) think what would help you as well would be to use a kick board and simply scissor kick with your right are holding the board and left arm to your side. when you are doing this, make sure to keep your right ear in the water at all times. at no point in time should your head completey come out of the water when performing css.
      5) make to actually complete you stroke with both you right and left arms. your left arm should be at your side before you initiate movement with your right arm. If you watch your video you will notice that your right arm doesn't full come to your side when you surface, but it doesn't perform a proper half stroke either.

If you really want to be ready for prep/BUD/S then make sure to start incorporating swimming fins into your workout. The two types that you should look to purchase are either the scuba pro jets or the aqualung rockets. THEY WILL WORK YOU.....but they will also work FOR you.

Comment

Originally posted by 180GETrocked View Post
        If you really want to be ready for prep/BUD/S then make sure to start incorporating swimming fins into your workout. The two types that you should look to purchase are either the scuba pro jets or the aqualung rockets. THEY WILL WORK YOU.....but they will also work FOR you.
        Don't use fins yet. Focus on technique and conditioning with out them. You have a long way before using fins.

Comment

Fins can help, but I think this swimmer is pretty far from that.

1 - Learn the stroke.

2 - With good form, work on your conditioning.

3 - Get competitive PST scores.

4 - Incorporate fins.

Go back to the official video and keep running those drills, on BOTH sides equally. I also agree on the kick work. You need to isolate parts of the stroke and improve each one, then put them back together. Your swim workouts at this point should be almost entirely made up of stroke drills in my opinion. Don't worry about conditioning yet. If you start swimming a lot of CSS with poor technique you will be reinforcing bad habits that will become very tough to quit.

You are not that bad off and you are going to get better.

--Fargo007

Comment

Working...
          X