Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

100m CSS, please critique

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100m CSS, please critique

https://youtu.be/2l_gDj7HAkI

on your first pull keep that arm flat against side. don't let it drift backward off of your hip.

don't square shoulders up to far wall when turning. stay sideways.

Comment

I watched it. You have a lot to work on.

1 - lose the batman mask and get regular swim goggles.

​2 - You are overgliding your kick. It is not effective enough to produce that long of a glide at this point. To get to legs that help rather than hurt, isolate the scissor kick and when you are not kicking, the legs remain behind the body, heels together for now.

3 - You are staying underwater too long, the mechanics of the double arm pull are wrong (wide rainbow style) and you are also kicking frantically off the wall.

4 - Slightly over-rotating.

5 - Crazy legs. Nonstop kicking to compensate for balance and lack of propulsion in the scissor kick.

6 - You are breathing way too late in the stroke cycle, and you are coming to a complete stop when you do it. You are breathing at a standstill. At an instant when you are literally doing nothing else except sinking vertically. You should be breathing when you execute that first pull and rotate.

Comment

To get to legs that help rather than hurt, isolate the scissor kick and when you are not kicking, the legs remain behind the body, heels together for now. Can you please explain what you mean by isolating the kick and do you mean to keep feet behind my body when I glide and don't kick? thank you guys for replying

Comment

Have you watched the video at the top of the swim thread? All the drills are there.

Meaning work on the scissor kick by itself. Either hand lead scissor kick drill, or with a kickboard.

Yes, for now you should be doing CSS with only a scissor kick, and the legs remaining heels together and still, behind the body until it's time to load the kick again.

Comment

Thank you very much for all the info Fargo you seem to see all the things everyone else missed. When I keep my heels together after the scissor kick my legs sink also when on my first pull I can't get my head back to the surface in time so I end up breathing during my second arm pull. What do you think could be causing this?

Comment

Your legs are sinking because you are overgliding your kick, and artificially extending the stroke cycle down to a stroke count that your kicks and pulls are not producing the velocity to support.

The sinking is caused by the dead spot in the stroke when you stop and breathe. You are so far under the water, and at such a standstill that you are literally looking straight up when you are breathing. A large part of your time and energy is being spent sinking down and swimming upward, instead of forward and we need to change that.

In order to keep you at the surface where you only have to rotate to breathe, you should adopt a higher stroke rate at this point. Be very conscious of your depth and stop trying to swim underwater in between strokes.

Another thing I am going to recommend after watching it again is ditching that long slow second pull for the sprinter's sidestroke pull. My reasoning is that:

- It's faster.

- It fits better on a swimmer who needs a faster turnover (stroke rate).

So summing it up:

1 - Faster stroke rate. No more artificial extension.

2 - Sprinter's sidestroke second pull.

3 - Breathe on the first pull, not after the second one completely finishes. This will take mindful practice to build a good habit.

4 - You need a quick recovery. After your second (sprinters) pull finishes, don't waste any time punching those hands back out into streamline. Being caught short in the water (like when you are breathing) is the poison that is killing you here.

Last edited by fargo007; 10-29-2015, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Hey Fargo thanks again for the advise I am making lots of improvements. I ran into this video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zrF...3_1s5r&index=9 What do you think about the advise that is given in it?

Comment

Good!

There's a lot of stuff in that video. There are things I like in it, and others I feel differently about. I can't address it all.

If you want to ask about a particular element, feel free but the things I refer people to the most are the official video at the top of the swim section, the pdf guide which addresses the streamline position, and the open turn sequence on youtube.

Those are my three musketeers.

Comment

https://youtu.be/NJyn7ysHMBg
                    Here is an update to my CSS it's looking better and I'm getting faster. Everyones advise has helped alot. Anymore critique would be greatly appreciated! Thank you everyone especially fargo.

Comment

You're welcome - I can tell you've been working hard on it, and it is a big improvement.

You sped up the recovery a lot, (bravo) and the progress we see is primarily due to that.

The faster you get the smaller changes you start looking for. Swimming is not about $1.00 bills. It's not even about quarters dimes and nickels. You need to go after slivers of a penny. They all add up.

Some of the things I'd point you toward now are:

1 - I would still want you breathing earlier in the stroke cycle. You've improved it, but you need to breathe even sooner than that.

2 - Stop looking forward! You only look straight down, and at the side of the pool where you are breathing.

3 - Good streamline off the wall up front, but loose in the back. Tighten the legs up. Also, hit a good, strict streamline at the top of the stroke cycle itself.

You have a lot of hard work to do, but it looks like you're getting it done!

Get all this worked out and then we can work on your race game once the stroke is solid.

Comment

Working...
                      X