Announcement

Collapse

New Combat Side Stroke Guide

Improve your swim. Use the Naval Special Warfare Combat Side Stroke Guide.

Visit: http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-co...oke-guide.html
See more
See less

CSS Technique

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSS Technique

Hey guys. Here is a recent snippet of my CSS after working on some pointers Coach Freddy gave me. Id appreciate any feedback.

Weve been working on my streamline and and catching more water with my pulls. Before, I was only swimming one side and was using the slower paddlewheel style CSS.

Thanks for any and all input.

Here is a recent video of my CSS. I think my streamline needs more work. My pulls are catching more water but still not where they need to be.

Thanks for any input.

https://youtu.be/dNQa32AdlPM

V/R

Hey man, I watched this and the one you posted a while back to get a reference point. Definitely moving a lot better now and the pulls look way stronger. I'm no swim coach, so I'm just going off of things I've learned and things that have worked for me. Two points I noticed: you aren't holding your glide after your scissor kick, and you are doing a lot of flutter kicks between strokes.

For the glide: Looks like you're taking about 8 or so strokes per length. That's not terrible, but not the most efficient way. After seeing Stew Smith preach this and trying it out on my own, I like using a 4-count for the cadence of my stroke. After the scissor kick, hold the glide for 2 seconds. Top arm pull on 3, bottom arm pull on 4. By doing that, I cut my strokes per length down from 8-9 to 4-5. It's been way more efficient and cut a solid minute off my swim once I got used to it.

In terms of the flutter-kicks, it seems like everyone is different with these. So if you've found them helpful and can maintain them, by all means keep doing them. But from my experience, flutter kicking between strokes was only taking about 1-2 seconds off of my 100yard. So for me, they're kinda just a waste of energy. I'll still throw them in on my last 100 or so to try to edge out a little time but not for the entire 500.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks for the feeback brother. It does seem like a lot of flutters. I need to strengthen my scissor kick for sure.

If i don't do them however i feel like i don't keep my momentum as well and that I feel like I'm not breathing as well.

Ill give a try though and thanks for the feedback!

NFQ

Comment

Just going off of what KULNAH said I think the flutter kicks destroy the momentum from the scissor kick. I use very short flutter kicks after the first pull so maybe try not to flutter kick so big.

My 500yd time is 8:52 and developing a strong scissor kick has helped me the most. Keep up the good work.

Comment

I took a look at it, and it's a huge improvement.

The things I'm seeing now that need work are:

1 - Kick strength/propulsion. Isolate the kick with a kickboard and do some sets. Also in terms of kick technique you have a period of time in between the kick being loaded and fired where your legs are splayed apart. It's hard to describe what you're doing but it's sort of a very long and inefficient load of the kick. You need to shorten that in between time. The kick is either loaded, or fired (and the legs hidden behind the cylinder of the body).

2 - Streamline. This is definitely a huge factor. You're not even hitting a streamline quite a few times and are just putting your hands in front of your head and pulling immediately.

3 - Performance off the wall. The push off and double arm pull aren't buying you the distance for time that they should.

A - Push off harder.
          B - Tighten the streamline (front AND back).
          C - Fix that double arm pull. It still looks like is pulling more sideways/rainbow style than hourglass.

------------------------------------------------------------------
          General comments (not specifically directed at jbush1989)

I don't think you guys should pay attention to stroke count. Stroke count will be reduced naturally when you start performing correctly off the wall. The trap most people fall into is artificially extending the stroke in order to reduce it. This leads to denial of breathing, holding dead air in your lungs and plainly running out of gas very quickly. If you want to turn less strokes, you do it by improving your performance off the walls.

Comment

Thank you all so much for the feed back!

Coach Freddy, I have been isolating the scissor kick and I will continue to strengthen the kick and work on reducing the loading time.

So grateful for you all taking your time to give constructive feedback.

Train hard and NFQ

Comment

Working...
            X