Reenlisting To Put in SWCC Package?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reenlisting To Put in SWCC Package?

I have roughly 10 months left in the Navy and am still APACT and want to go SWCC or get out. My NC is telling me that I have to reenlist before I submit my package. I don't want to reenlist before my package is accpeted and risk doing 4 more years in the fleet if I can't convert. What my NC is telling me seems like a reasonable interpretation according to MILPERSMAN 1220-400 (SWCC Requirements):

" OBLISERV. The OBLISERV requirement for SB “A” School is 48 months from class graduation date or until completion of previous OBLISERV, whichever is greater, unless released earlier by Chief of Naval Personnel. COs must ensure applicants understand OBLISERV to train options specified in MILPERSMAN 1160-040 and reference (e). No waivers."

So, if I then reference MILPERSMAN 1160-040:

"c. To obtain obligated service (OBLISERV) required to execute PCS orders or Selected Reserve mobilization and recall orders. Refer to MILPERSMAN 1306-106 for information about OBLISERV in connection with a PCS transfer. Per MILPERSMAN 1306- 141, Voluntary Sea Duty Program (VSDP) Sailors are able to defer their Career Waypoints reenlistment (C-WAY-REEN) application window to the minimum OBLISERV required for the orders negotiated as outlined in MILPERSMAN 1306-104. Sailors will not require a C-WAY-REEN application quota to execute a short-term extension in order to accept orders, or extend in place under VSDP, provided they meet C-WAY-REEN criteria. In such cases, detailers and enlisted community managers must make appropriate entries into the Sailor’s Enlisted Active Information System (EAIS) notes section. Refer to reference (c) and the most recent selective reenlistment bonus (SRB) NAVADMIN message for information on the Obligated Service to Train Program."

However, my understanding differs from my NC's interpretation. The way I read it, I don't need to OBLISERV yet. I am only required to understand that upon my package being accepted and getting orders to SB "A" School I will be required to OBLISERV.

So, essentially I don't want to reenlist and risk getting stuck in the fleet for another 4 years if I can't get my package accepted for any number of reasons. Any input on this is appreciated. Hopefully somebody who is more versed with this kind of stuff can lay down the law in a clear, simple and concise manner that makes sense to my NC.

I know this is a longer and more boring read, thanks for any help!

References:
    https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...s/1220-400.pdf
    https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...s/1160-040.pdf

In reality, your NC/CCC has the overall say in the matter. I'm not experienced with the admin side of the Navy, but I have a buddy that got picked up with 12 months left on his enlistment (he's going SO). I don't see why it would be different for you. If you're in your orders window and don't currently have orders then I don't see why you can't drop a package. You might need to get a CWAY quota so that you have authorization to re-enlist/OBLISERV if you get picked up, which can be a ***** with only 10 months left, but I don't see why you would need to re-enlist prior to the package unless the NC is just being stubborn so he can get praised for retaining another Sailor. Now, getting picked up as a fleet returnee is difficult and usually requires several application cycles, so it might be a good idea to re-enlist for at least another tour (usually only 3 years), or put yourself in the position to where you CAN re-enlist for another tour if you don't get picked up in the timeframe you have.. Then start applying again when your new CoC allows it. If your NC/CCC is being stubborn you might have to go talk to some other people in the CoC that is a little more knowledgeable on the process so the can talk to him, but he does have final say unless you're willing to go to the CMC/CO (my buddy had to go to the CMC). In the end if SWCC is what you really want, re-enlisting for 3 more years then executing half of another tour isn't the end of the world.. It's like 18 months before you can put in a package (earlier with their approval). So it's just more time to train. How does your package look? PST scores?

Comment

Being APACT might be what's holding you back. I'm not sure how their rules work regarding re-enlistment. It's a whole other ballgame when you actually have a rate. But if it makes you feel better, I have to do 7 years in my rate before even getting a "maybe" to cross-rate, so if it's what you want just keep fighting for it. If you aren't willing to put in another 3 years for a guaranteed shot then you need to re-evaluate your mindset and overall commitment to being an SB. Waiting sucks, but not being an SO/SB sucks more. Take it as a good thing and train hard.

Comment

ZGORDON96 - Thanks alot, I'm going to bring my Chief in with me to talk to the NC, he really has my back maybe things will be different that way. The only issue with going ahead and reenlisting is that I am year group 2016 and that could fill up. But I'm going to keep pushing and when it comes down to that as the only option then I'll have to see, but I've seen some dudes with killer scores get turned down for year group. Good heads up on the CWAY quota. My package is just getting started, all looks easy to throw together, just have to go in and take care of the medical portion as I've heard that can take a while to be processed. Took my first PST recently and scored as follows: 10:15 swim, 80 push, 91 sit, 16 pull, 8:53 run... My NC went on to tell me that I better get my run down to sub 8... an argument ensued... NC then corrected themselves insisting that, no not the run, but actually the swim better be sub 8. NC doesnt want to send embarrassing scores up the chain to the CO.. So yah my swim needs to be better, everything needs to be better, but I can't see myself realistically getting lower than a 9:15 swim. THANK YOU for such a thoughtful reply and putting in as much time as you did for my benefit, I'll be sure to do the same for others. Doing 7 years is serious commitment I really hope some technicality doesnt stop you from picking up when the time comes!

Comment

Your scores are fairly good, although the swim could be a bit better, it is not unacceptable.
          When you obliserv, you are signing up duty after completing A school. If you do not complete A school, then you are no longer obligated to serve. In your case, you must have enough time on the books to complete the A school, at a minimum. That's basically a year after arriving. A short-term extension of your current contract would normally be the course, but since you are APACT, you don't have one. I recommend you re-enlist for two years, which I believe is the minimum. Acceptance to SWCC school will add obliserv years to your contract, if you complete training. If you don't, obliserve goes away and you finish what's left of your two years. I think that's pretty fair. It gives you some motivation to complete SWCC training and the Navy gets some time out of you one way or another, but not an excessive amount.
          Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
          35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

Yep! Sorry I couldn't be more help. The year group thing does suck. I'm YG15 so I'm closed off, hopefully a few years from now I'll be good to go, but it is what it is. I've also seen guys with killer scores out of their YG get picked up as well, that's where the rest of your package comes into play. Work on getting EP's, volunteer, get JSOQ/BJOQ. Make your package so good they can't say no. But in the end it takes a bit of luck as well, so good luck! Run and calisthenics are pretty good, get that swim down though. As you know, swimming is a pretty big part of your pipeline, get comfy with it! Hope your Chief can help things out a bit so you don't have to deal with a closed off YG. Post some updates on this thread so others can see how your situation played out.

Comment

Mr. Williams, thank you for the response just before viewing this I found your post from 2011 quoting NCCS Giovanetty:

https://www.sealswcc.com/forums/foru...ders-after-pst

As far as the two year reenlistment goes I agree that it is a fair deal, perhaps even a better deal for me than the Navy. If you could clarify for me though, am I able to submit a package and then based on my acceptance reenlist? Or, is reenlisting something that I need to do prior to submitting my package?

I'll keep getting those scores down.

Also, extra information: I plan on dropping my package for the Aug. 22 deadline. My EAOS is March 2020.

Thank you.

zgordon96 - I will be sure to keep this updated. Thanks.

Comment

You will need to be re-enlistment eligible before you can apply, which means getting a C-Way quota. So yeah, the re-up comes before sending in the package. BUD/S doesn't want to get a guy scheduled for school and risk him dropping out just before he arrives because his enlistment ran out and he changed his mind. Not saying you would do that, just as a general principle.
                Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
                35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

That makes it pretty cut and dry. Just comes down to me. Thanks for all of the help. Once I've made my mind up I'll give an update just for the sake of it. If I was more confident in my package it would be an easier choice but even with better PST scores I have a pretty high risk package due to past actions of mine. If I step back and review my own package from an outside viewpoint, it would be a tough call. High potential but high risk is how I'd categorize myself as a candidate. Is that the kind of package I should gamble 2 years in a floating metal box on..

Comment

Working...
                  X