X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOwannabeJohn
    started a topic In DEP for Reserves

In DEP for Reserves

I am working toward securing a SWCC contract. I entered DEP in October 2013. I have recently hit, what I believe to be, competitive scores that are likely to get me contracted (81 ASVAB 9:38 swim, 114 push-ups, 79 sit-ups, 16 pullups, 10:25 run). My only concern is that when I entered DEP, my recruiter had me enlist in the reserves because he said that the Navy is currently not taking any high school graduates (I am a high school graduate). My plan from Day 1 was to receive a specwar contract, so I did not mind enlisting in the reserves as long as I could work with a mentor and take PSTs. My recruiter assured me that the process of securing a specwar contract would work the same way for me as it would for individuals that entered DEP as active duty future sailors. My main question is will the fact that I am in DEP for the reserves affect NSW's likelyhood of offering me a SWCC contract? I meet all of the prerequisites for a contract i.e. eyesight, no waivers, cleared by MEPS. Our district's specwar scout has not mentioned that I will have any added difficulty in receiving a contract, but I would still like to post in this forum in hopes of receiving further confirmation. I have used the search engine and did not find a thread similar to this specific issue. All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

• Brian Perkins
    replied
    Re: In DEP for Reserves

Thank you! Good luck to you, atleast you got your foot in the door.

Leave a comment:

• SOwannabeJohn
    replied

Good luck with your package, brother.

Leave a comment:

• SOwannabeJohn
    replied

Brian, thanks for sharing. I'm hoping to hear from a moderator as well. Tried sending Scott Williams a PM, but my messaging seemed buggy at the time. My recruiting station says that specwar is open to high school graduates as they are usually always looking for guys, so they say they will submit my package with no problem. The "regular Navy", on the other hand, is what they claim was not looking for high school graduates at the time which is why I had to enter DEP for the Navy Reserves.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Perkins
    replied

I believe your recruiting station may be lying. I was just at my recruiting station a week ago and I overheard a recruiter telling another recruit that they were actually increasing from the downsize of last year. I wish there was a moderator that could debunk this. They are getting ready to submit my package and I think they would have said that they wouldn't have wasted time filing paperwork if they weren't accepting any H.S. grads. I'm 26 years old.

Leave a comment:

• SOwannabeJohn
    replied

My recruiting station claims that since the Navy is not in dire need of more sailors, it is not currently accepting males that have already graduated high school for active duty.

Leave a comment:

• SOwannabeJohn
    replied

My intent is to submit a package for active duty specwar. My concern is that there will be some unforeseen technicality that may keep me from being offered a contract due to me being in DEP as a reservist. My apologies if I was not specific.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Perkins
    replied

What do you mean by "not taking high school graduates"?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

There are not as many people applying for reserve spec war as there are applying for active spec war so unfortunately there are fewer slots. However, with those scores, if I were you, I would consider seeking a SO contract with a few minor improvements.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X