Announcement

Collapse

Official Podcast Now Posted!

The Official Navy SEAL & SWCC podcast, "The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday", is now posted in the Downloads section https://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-podcast.html. Hear from real, active duty Navy SEALs, SWCC, and key support staff from NSW as they talk training, requirements, ethos, and more. Hooyah!
See more
See less

Question regarding DEP and the Challenge Contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding DEP and the Challenge Contract

I will be graduating High School next year and plan on going into the Navy as soon as I can after graduation. I want to go for a SEAL Challenge Contract. If I tell my recruiter that this is what I want to do, will he then place me in DEP as I am trying for that contract? And if so, would I be able to enter DEP/ try for a SEAL Challenge Contract while still in High School?

Cthe_K After you finish your junior year, you will be eligible to be screened for military service. As long as you're at least 17 and on track to graduating, you're set. From my experience on getting contracted, I requested just to take the physical and asvab and NOT enter DEP so I can take as many PST's as I needed in order to contract. Some recruiting districts require you to enter DEP first, but of course these rules change all of the time. Simply ask your recruiter if you can just do the asvab and physical and then PST until you get a contract. In other words, yes, you can screen for SO while in high school. I don't know where you're at as far as preparing but all I can say is start preparing for the asvab and PST so you'll be in the best position to be granted a contract.

Best Regards

Comment

Roboscout 302 Thanks for the response. I thought that you had to do DEP so that you could officially take a PST and get a mentor. But if not, then what's the benefit of doing DEP (if the recruiter does not require it)? Is DEP basically just a program saying "You have this long to get your contract or else you're going to the fleet", so by not doing DEP you no longer have that time limit on you?

Comment

Originally posted by Cthe_K View Post
        Roboscout 302 Thanks for the response. I thought that you had to do DEP so that you could officially take a PST and get a mentor. But if not, then what's the benefit of doing DEP (if the recruiter does not require it)? Is DEP basically just a program saying "You have this long to get your contract or else you're going to the fleet", so by not doing DEP you no longer have that time limit on you?

On the second part of your response is the reason. When entering the delayed entry program (DEP), it is technically a legal-binding process that puts a time constraint on you. Since you're still in high school, you have plenty of time, but I would recommend holding off on entering DEP and making sure you meet the eligibility requirements for an SO contract.

Comment

Working...
        X