24 Years old, SEAL Contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 Years old, SEAL Contract

I am around 140 pounds, 5'7 tall, and 24 Years old.

Currently I can do around 30-40 pushups in 2 minutes.
    Around 40 sit ups in 2 minutes.
    I can do 3-4 pull ups from a dead hang.
    I can only run 1 mile in 12 minutes.
    I am not the best swimmer and I will start seriously practing during the Summer.
    No scuba experience.

Also, no felonies, misdemeanors, problems with the law, or substance abuse issues. I've drank alcohol before but I have never used any illegal substances. I have no major medical issues.

I have an associates degree but no bachelor's.

I know that it will be some time before I can even think about attempting the first PST test for the SEAL challenge contract. And I was thinking about getting a bachelor's before enlisting but I was concerned about the age cutoff at 29 and if I have enough time to get it done before then. Are certain majors better than others?

And for the asvab there are three required line scores plus the 50 MC requirement. Do I need all three line scores in order to qualify or do I just need one of them? Also, am I required to have a specific overall score on the asvab in addition to the line scores and the Mechanical Comprehension score? I've been studying like crazy and ignoring the sections I don't need.

Should I speak with a recruiter only after I'm in shape for the first PST? I usually read about a SEAL mentor or something that helps you train but is that only after you get far enough in the process? Or does the military have any references that I can use to plan my workouts and nutrition?

Also, any advice on preparing for the sleep deprivation part of BUD/S? And any advice on improving my willpower?

Any advice based on the information provided would be very helpful.

1. Are certain majors better than others
    If you want to become an officer, yes. The Navy wants STEM majors. If you want to enlist, it does not matter.
    2. ASVAB
    The site says this: "An applicant must score one of the following on the ASVAB:

1. GS + MC + EI = a minimum score of 170

2. VE + MK + MC + CS = a minimum score of 220

3. VE + AR = a minimum score of 110 and MC = a minimum score of 50
    The Mechanical Comprehension (MC) score is not waiverable, but the rest of the line score may be waiverable if it is five points or less below the minimum."

3. When to speak with a recruiter
    You should wait until you are at optimum scores to speak with a recruiter. The mentors are there to help, but they are largely for overseeing PSTs and workouts, so you should go when you know you can do well on the PST. There are plenty of programs for workout and nutrition out on the internet. I highly recommend looking up Stew Smith and Jeff Nichols. Both former SEALs who put out lots of good info.

4. Preparing for the sleep deprivation part of BUD/S
    Don't. Eat, train, and sleep - this is when your body recovers. You're only doing yourself a disservice if you don't get adequate sleep.

5. Willpower
    That pretty much comes from within. Get used to pushing yourself and being uncomfortable.

Comment

I agree with much of what pkom96 has written, with the following exceptions:

- A SEAL benefits from knowledge in foreign languages and international security. A degree covering those two things, or at least one of them, is preferred by those who select candidates, officer and enlisted. STEM is for general Navy officers. Go ahead and pursue that degree. Meanwhile, use the time to get in shape. This is totally doable.

- No specific AFQT (overall score) is required, per se, other than the Navy's requirement of 35 or 40. You should easily surpass that if you are hitting any of the three line scores. Just one of the three is needed to meet the requirement.

- While pkom96 recommends outside sources, we have all you need (for FREE) right here on this website, beginning with the Physical Training Guide. It may not seem as exciting as watching a former team guy do reps in the gym, but it's totally legit and an average of 75% of our candidates did use it before they got to BUD/S or BCS. We also have a pretty good group here in the training forum that helps with the combat sidestroke.
      Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
      35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

Working...
      X