Lateral transfer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lateral transfer

Right now I am a senior in high school and I have two options I can either join the Navy as a Navy diver or corpman, and then after three years I can make a lateral transfer and put in my application for selection and a buds contract, at least this is what my recruiter has told me. based off what I’ve heard on these forms it is extremely hard to be able to do this once you’re already in. My recruiter told me that it would be more likely for me to be able to become a seal with navy experience and service time on my side.... my other option is I can stay as a civilian for like two years train up to the best of my ability and then try to get a Buds contract right off the bat... at this point I don’t know what is true or not or what route would ultimately get me to My goal

Call the NRD Phoenix mentor and relay where this nonsense occurred.
    Last edited by aquaman5342; 10-04-2018, 06:13 AM.
    Please "Private Message" me on this forum if you have questions. I will respond to you at my earliest convenience.

SEAL + SWCC Forum Moderator
    U.S. Navy SEAL + SWCC Scout Team

T: 888-USN-SEAL
    2000 Trident Way, Building #401
    San Diego, CA 92155

Comment

So I’m assuming that what he said is not true?

Comment

• Roboscout 302
        Roboscout 302 commented
        Editing a comment
        Dude, you could pursue a SEAL Challenge Contract right off the bat whenever you’re old enough and finished with your junior year of high school. The details on pursuing the contract is on this website, SEALSWCC.com.

• OuterHeaven
        OuterHeaven commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what he should do

Imagine being 30 with no job as your brothers-in-arms need you.

It feels bad.

And as you get older, it will be harder to maintain your fitness level.

Regardless, successful SEAL candidates are never your typical 19-year-old.

Originally posted by Seth_kemp View Post
      My recruiter told me that it would be more likely for me to be able to become a seal with navy experience and service time on my side....
      This is very untrue. There are a small number of fleet convert-in contracts that NSW takes to fill classes, and they are extremely competitive. Also, if you are rated corpsman or diver (or any specialty rate) you will have difficulty converting out of those rates. The difficulty is because they put you through training, and they want to redeem the investment they put into you, therefore they won't want to let you go.

You are much better served training then joining with a seal challenge contract.

Comment

Thank you guys for the response definitely Cleared some stuff up for me .... I going stay and train up and try to attend the Kokoro camp and go for seal challenge contract

Comment

I was in a very similar situation as you not too long ago... recruiter said the same thing, that going in as a Diver would be better for me because I’d be in great shape and my swimming would undoubtedly get much better. My swimming sucks. Although it is possible, it’s harder to get your slot for BUD/S once you’re already in. Take the time you need to train, you’re young. You have many years to apply for a SEAL Challenge Contract. This is something that should not be rushed. Don’t let your recruiters tell you what you can or can’t, or should or shouldn’t do. Don’t sign anything if you’re not entirely sure. I’m speaking from experience, learn from my mistake.

Comment

Actually they always recommend that potential future NAVY SEAL candidates pursue a SEAL contract before they're in the service, but you might be able to do either one.

You could also do some tours at Navy and then enlist in a different branch. ARMY, USMC... IF you want to be in combat, NAVY is the worst branch to join, unless you're gonna be a SEAL.

I should not have gone to college. That's something I regret. If you decide to go to college and then enter as a SEAL officer after you graduate, you might not be able to do any of it and find yourself at 27 in Olympic level shape, with only a high school degree, trying your heart out to become a SEAL coming from families which are normally unsupportive of such a career choice.

I had to educate my mother a lot on the military. I was around 18 when a SEAL was attempting to recruit me (I took 4 years of Lifeguard Training through the American Red Cross as a child). Eventually, I had my mother stating the obvious. I'd more likely be struck by lightning than to ever die in a military. It can be difficult to Garner the support of the family.

If you go in after high school, you'll probably be making a lot more money than your friends in the long run.

good luck to you

Comment

Originally posted by b16fy View Post

This is very untrue. There are a small number of fleet convert-in contracts that NSW takes to fill classes, and they are extremely competitive. Also, if you are rated corpsman or diver (or any specialty rate) you will have difficulty converting out of those rates. The difficulty is because they put you through training, and they want to redeem the investment they put into you, therefore they won't want to let you go.

You are much better served training then joining with a seal challenge contract.
              I was going to say something similar.

It's hard to make it out of a unit that needs you to a unit with enough people already.

However, there really are some branches that need recruits. Especially Air Force special operations.

President Trump plans to add 15,000 Special Forces before his first term is up!

Comment

Originally posted by OuterHeaven View Post

However, there really are some branches that need recruits. Especially Air Force special operations.

President Trump plans to add 15,000 Special Forces before his first term is up!
                That's interesting that he said 15k because I believe the special operations community is having trouble finding qualified candidates. This is my understanding from interviews with Army/Air force members, so who knows with the Navy. From the look of the SO community page they've been under EPA since about 2013, which is a shame.

I really wish they would prioritize fleet conversions... like the army does with SF. It's such a shame to see people who're in incredible shape, with a strong desire to get out of the fleet and into SO, but can't because they're already in. Honestly it seems counter productive; the best analogy I can find for it is a company hiring a new guy and promoting him to senior manager, when you have people in the office that are already qualified and motivated.

I'd be curious to know how many fleet conversion requests they actually get, and if there are statistics on how well fleet returnees do in training.

Comment

Originally posted by b16fy View Post

That's interesting that he said 15k because I believe the special operations community is having trouble finding qualified candidates. This is my understanding from interviews with Army/Air force members, so who knows with the Navy. From the look of the SO community page they've been under EPA since about 2013, which is a shame.

I really wish they would prioritize fleet conversions... like the army does with SF. It's such a shame to see people who're in incredible shape, with a strong desire to get out of the fleet and into SO, but can't because they're already in. Honestly it seems counter productive; the best analogy I can find for it is a company hiring a new guy and promoting him to senior manager, when you have people in the office that are already qualified and motivated.

I'd be curious to know how many fleet conversion requests they actually get, and if there are statistics on how well fleet returnees do in training.
                  people who are interested in special operations are urged to prepare for it before they ever enlist in the military. I don't know why was just like you they usually just don't like people to go from other careers in the military into Special operations I reckon unless they change branches

Comment

Working...
                  X