Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When should I pursue a Challenge Contract?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kamaron Swain
    started a topic When should I pursue a Challenge Contract?

When should I pursue a Challenge Contract?

I am currently in High School. Ship date is July 09, 2019. Currently in the Nuclear program, going for Electrician's Mate. Plan to drop my "officer packet" where I can become an officer through the NUC program and do my officer training as a SO.

When do I need to start trying to get a Challenge Contract through this process of becoming a SEAL?

Also, if it would be better to wait or if I have to wait for a little bit and do a deployment or two just to finish out my 6-year contract then I will and then pursue a Challenge Contract upon reenlisting.

I'm open to all comments, questions, and/or suggestions.

• Bryanst1129
    replied
    If you want to be a SEAL, get out of DEP and apply for a contract. I wouldn't put myself in the situation where I am not guaranteed to go to BUD/S. If you want to be a SEAL, you don't just pick a rate and hope you get transferred; you go for a SEAL Challenge Contract. If you think your passion to be a SEAL will still be around in 6 years then go ahead. Also, if you become a Nuke you will probably be offered some bonuses, so hopefully your passion outweighs the money.

Leave a comment:

• thechip72
    replied
    Nuke is one of the worst jobs you could have chosen if you want to go SO. You should try your hardest to drop that nuke contract (though I doubt they'd let you because the Navy needs nukes right now), because they may not let you even take an SO contract over your nuke contract. And definitely don't try to go SO after being a nuke in the fleet because they certainly will not let you. Long story short, it's extremely hard (very close if not impossible) to get an SO contract as a nuke.

As for when to start trying to get a contract? That depends on you. It sounds like you want to ship right after high school, so I'd say you should be in the challenge program now and taking PST's to try to get a contract ASAP. But I'd tackle the whole nuke problem first.

Leave a comment:

• Holloway89
    replied
    If worse comes to worse, and they don't allow you to transfer rates. You might have to end your enlistment and reenlist with a SO Contract

Leave a comment:

• xb38
    replied
    How bad do you want SEAL? If I could guess, it’s what you truly want. In that case go for that SO contract now. If you don’t make it now, Nuke is reallllyyy goood. No complaints.

From what I understand it’s harder to get an SO contract once you’re in the Navy, more so if you’re in a high demand job like nuke.

The choice is ultimately yours. Dig deep and you’ll find your answer.

Leave a comment:

• jlhota
    replied
    I'm going to risk talking out of my league here, as I'm only in DEP. If you want to transfer to SO from another rate you do not want to pick a highly valued or undermanned rate. They will be far less likely to let you leave when you want to. Nuke is undermanned and highly valued so it seems unlikely that you'd be able to laterally transfer rates.
    If you seriously want to go SO, pursue a SO contract.

Leave a comment:

• Kamaron Swain
    replied
    Originally posted by Kamaron Swain View Post
    I am currently in High School. Ship date is July 09, 2019. Currently in the Nuclear program, going for Electrician's Mate. Plan to drop my "officer packet" where I can become an officer through the NUC program and do my officer training as a SO.

When do I need to start trying to get a Challenge Contract through this process of becoming a SEAL?
    Just to clarify, the "officer packet" is not an item or anything like that. It's most NUC's eligability to comission to be an officer whenever they so choose; except for during a deployment.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X