Announcement

Collapse

Scout Team Road Trip

Would you be interested in attending an event to find out more about us and maybe get in a little workout? We're putting together a list of places for a road trip. PM Scott Williams (Admin)and tell him your location.
See more
See less

Increasing Draft Chances

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing Draft Chances

Administrator or SEAL Senior Chief.

I have heard on numerous threads that the draft will begin taking other things into account such as education, ASVAB scores, foreign language ability, as well as PST scores. I was wondering when this will take into effect and what other qualifications there will be in the draft lottery process besides "killing the PST".

Any other input from other users is also greatly appreciated.

Re: Increasing Draft Chances

I have the same questions and one more... Will this change the game in a sense for guys with medical or criminal waivers competing for a contract?
    "Nothing on earth can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."

- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

two days ago I got a phone call from some Navy guy asking about my education, foreign language skills, and skills/qualifications i had to "help better my chances of getting a contract". so i believe the answer is it has already begun??
      Jesus told them. “For I assure you: If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will tell this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20

Comment

We are currently working on a more "whole man" approach then the current way we do business which as you know revolves mostly around PST scores. There is not a proposed date when this will happen.

Not sure how to answer the waivers question. Are you asking if the waiver policy will change?

Senior

Comment

Senior Chief - It's been said repeatedly on this forum that guys with waivers have a harder time being picked up in the draft, my question is if this "whole man" approach will change this bias that favors individuals with a clean record but lessor packages? (i.e. NO college degrees, foreign language experience, or better all around PST scores).

So, yes will the waiver policy change at all? Is There any chance this will help SO candidates with multiple waivers?

I'm still going to work hard and put together the best possible package between now and when I decide to see a recruiter. So, I guess my questions are out of pure curiosity at this point.
          "Nothing on earth can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."

- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by floridastateU View Post
            Senior Chief - It's been said repeatedly on this forum that guys with waivers have a harder time being picked up in the draft, my question is if this "whole man" approach will change this bias that favors individuals with a clean record but lessor packages? (i.e. NO college degrees, foreign language experience, or better all around PST scores).

So, yes will the waiver policy change at all? Is There any chance this will help SO candidates with multiple waivers?

I'm still going to work hard and put together the best possible package between now and when I decide to see a recruiter. So, I guess my questions are out of pure curiosity at this point.
            What you have to remember is that these items that require waivers are not NSW specific (though we may have higher standards) they are Navy standards. Being proficient in 3 languages will not make the Master Chief conducting the Draft look the other way at your DUI, use of antidepressants, low ASVAB score, or being over the age of 28, ect.

It will always be harder to get a contract when you require waivers. This past month there were 220 qualified applicants for approx 50 slots to get an SO contract. With so many qualified applicants it’s tough to justify granting waivers. As you've seen me say many times there are waivers granted but you need good ASVAB scores, great PST scores, and to be recommended by the Mentor and Recruiter you are working with.

Best of luck

Senior

Comment

I appreciate you clearing that up for me Senior Chief.

- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
              X