Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honest Opinions

Hey guys,

So I would like some honest opinion and input from you guys on my situation and my plans as of now. Some quick background info; I am a senior in college with a BA degree in Public Safety Management, minor in HR Management. No college sports, in 2 honor society's, leadership experience through fraternity. 3.5 GPA. Played 2 years of high school baseball, 3 years of high school Spanish, 1 semester of college Spanish.

I have been working out and trying my best to prepare myself for BUD/S and grueling process of it all. Physically as an officer you need better than stellar pst scores. I know that if I took a PST today my scores would not be close to be considered for a BUD/S Officer applicant. I am not doubting myself or having a quitting mindset, that is just the reality of my situation. I know have about 3 months of preparation and time to better my scores. So these are the different plans I have thought of and tried to prepare for, and I just would like some input and opinions from others who are accepted, also working on their application or already in the teams.

Right now I am in the application stages of applying for OCS and SOAS. Taking the OAR soon and continuously working on my application/resume for Officer package. The perfect plan would be getting accepted for SOAS and OCS, attending SOAS this summer, attend OCS after and get my orders for BUD/s. That is what I am striving for but I do have to be real with myself and understand where I am at physically and mentally. So my contingency plans are these:

1. Talk with a teacher and look for internship/job within the FBI/CIA for a year as I prepare for my application a year later. Continue with the process of going through OCS and BUD/S.

2. Continue with application this year and really work my *** of to try and have good enough scores for SEALs. Hope to get accepted and go from there.

3. Finally, still work my *** to try and get good scores but still talk with a teacher about internship/job.

I understand those plans seem very cut and dry and little thought but that was the basic outline. I know there are plenty of different factors in this whole process but this is the starting stages that pave the way for everything else. So back to what I am originally asking is some feedback on what I am facing right now and what my best way to approach this would be. I have talked with family, close family friends, and teachers that have served and not served. Would love some feedback from others who are in a similar position.

I know this was long and appreciate those who took the time to read this and possibly give some feedback but this life and job is not an easy decision and my ultimate goal is to be an Officer in the SEAL Teams so I am trying my best to gather as much information to help guide my way.

Thanks everyone,
    Tillie

Originally posted by drtillie View Post
    Hey guys,

So I would like some honest opinion and input from you guys on my situation and my plans as of now. Some quick background info; I am a senior in college with a BA degree in Public Safety Management, minor in HR Management. No college sports, in 2 honor society's, leadership experience through fraternity. 3.5 GPA. Played 2 years of high school baseball, 3 years of high school Spanish, 1 semester of college Spanish.

I have been working out and trying my best to prepare myself for BUD/S and grueling process of it all. Physically as an officer you need better than stellar pst scores. I know that if I took a PST today my scores would not be close to be considered for a BUD/S Officer applicant. I am not doubting myself or having a quitting mindset, that is just the reality of my situation. I know have about 3 months of preparation and time to better my scores. So these are the different plans I have thought of and tried to prepare for, and I just would like some input and opinions from others who are accepted, also working on their application or already in the teams.

Right now I am in the application stages of applying for OCS and SOAS. Taking the OAR soon and continuously working on my application/resume for Officer package. The perfect plan would be getting accepted for SOAS and OCS, attending SOAS this summer, attend OCS after and get my orders for BUD/s. That is what I am striving for but I do have to be real with myself and understand where I am at physically and mentally. So my contingency plans are these:

1. Talk with a teacher and look for internship/job within the FBI/CIA for a year as I prepare for my application a year later. Continue with the process of going through OCS and BUD/S.

2. Continue with application this year and really work my *** of to try and have good enough scores for SEALs. Hope to get accepted and go from there.

3. Finally, still work my *** to try and get good scores but still talk with a teacher about internship/job.

I understand those plans seem very cut and dry and little thought but that was the basic outline. I know there are plenty of different factors in this whole process but this is the starting stages that pave the way for everything else. So back to what I am originally asking is some feedback on what I am facing right now and what my best way to approach this would be. I have talked with family, close family friends, and teachers that have served and not served. Would love some feedback from others who are in a similar position.

I know this was long and appreciate those who took the time to read this and possibly give some feedback but this life and job is not an easy decision and my ultimate goal is to be an Officer in the SEAL Teams so I am trying my best to gather as much information to help guide my way.

Thanks everyone,
    Tillie
    i think when it comes down to it in the end. It is truly how badly do you want it? are you going to get caught up and not have time to train? if you want to go FBI or CIA after, time in the teams give you that opportunity. If you want it very badly (SEAL) i would train now hard AF and put your packet in.

I can relate because I am finishing up EMT school right now, and paramedic is something I want, But I realize I want to be a team guy #1 and I can be a paramedic thru the SOCOM medic course... 2 goals I can meet thru the pipeline.

I plan on training harder once school is after and like Jocko says "GET AFTER IT"

Comment

I think that OnlyOneOption nails it.
      How bad do you want it?
      Facing reality isn't having a quitting mindset. It's okay to be discouraged. What matters is your response in this moment in time. Will you content yourself with mediocrity? Or will you rise above?
      It's up to you.

Comment

onlyoneoption and CoalTown,

Thanks for your input. I tried my best to relay that I am not settling in anyway by looking for internship/job then applying next year. But I believe you both have the good point of, if you want it, get after it. Being in the Teams is the end goal, but if it takes another year of training then I am willing, but if I can bust it out now and get through and selected then that is the path I will take.

Thanks,
        Tillie

Comment

Working...
        X