"Challening Majors" Civilian to SEAL Officer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Challening Majors" Civilian to SEAL Officer

The steps for going from a civilian to a SEAL officer are very clearly layed out on the website but my question pertains to some of the wording they use when describing some of the optimal preferences. The website says that the men with the best chance of being selected have "superior academic performance in challenging majors", among other things. I will be graduating shortly with a degree in Civil Engineering with a current GPA of 3.5 and I was wondering if that would be considered a "challenging major". I ask this because I assume your major would play a big role when being compared to someone that graduated from the naval academy or someone who is already active duty. I went to my local recuiuter with this question and he didn't really help me any. Any insight you guys have would really be appreciated.

While it is important to do well academically, what's more important is that you are a well rounded individual, as the selection board will take the whole man approach. Although a 3.5 GPA is respectable, especially in civil engineering, what else do you bring to the table? What are your PST Scores? Were you an athlete in High School or College? Did you take on different leadership positions in different clubs and organizations? Do you have any work experience? Did you study a language? How are you going to stand out from the rest of your peers who have the same accolades and attributes that you possess?

You need to remember that you are trying to join a society of people who are exceptional. And if you are trying to lead them, the standards are that much higher. I am not trying to be critical nor am I trying to discourage you, I am just giving you food for thought, and really make you sit down and think about why it is that you want to lead, and why you think you have what it takes. If your reasons are legitimate and you have that ultimate resolve, then you should be OK.

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors!
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -Thomas Paine

Comment

Thank you for your response. I know the things I have under my belt and what all I can work on. You're absolutely right, being a SEAL is one thing while being a leader in that community is another. I didn't find your response critical or discouraging at all. I appreciate you giving your thoughts.

Comment

My pleasure! Go get 'em!!
        "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
        X