Announcement

Collapse

Scout Team Road Trip

Would you be interested in attending an event to find out more about us and maybe get in a little workout? We're putting together a list of places for a road trip. PM Scott Williams (Admin)and tell him your location.
See more
See less

Tattoo Policy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tattoo Policy

I completely agree with everyone saying not to get any SEAL related tattoos until you actually are a SEAL. Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for ridicule. And in most cases it would be disrespectful to the teams. In my view, the only persons that would have any business having a SEAL related tatt is a SEAL or the wife/girlfriend of SEAL. I don't even think it's wise for a brother of a SEAL to get one; while it may not be disrespectful, his SEAL brother earning it doesn't earn him the right to wear it.

As for if you can have a trident on your back when you are a SEAL; In former Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell's book Lone Survivor, he mentions himself and his brother (also a Navy SEAL) each having half of a trident tattooed on their backs (one brother had one half, and the other brother had the other half).
    "Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them." -anonymous

"Circumstance does not make the man; it reveals him to himself." -James Allen

Comment

Is there a size or amount stipulation? I have a rather large tattoo on my back between my shoulders. In shirts with collars it cannot be seen, but in t-***** it is visible on the back of my neck. Is this a problem? I have 2 years until I go and I can already blow the optimum requirements out of the water. I won’t let something silly like a tattoo to hold me back from my goal. If it is necessary to get the visible part removed I will do so, but I would like to know if it sounds like an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by RWP View Post
        Is there a size or amount stipulation? I have a rather large tattoo on my back between my shoulders. In shirts with collars it cannot be seen, but in t-***** it is visible on the back of my neck. Is this a problem? I have 2 years until I go and I can already blow the optimum requirements out of the water. I won’t let something silly like a tattoo to hold me back from my goal. If it is necessary to get the visible part removed I will do so, but I would like to know if it sounds like an issue.
        My guess is that you will be fine. There are plenty of SEALs with tattoos that are visible while in PT gear. I trained for a little while with a guy who used to be in ST6 and he had tattoos on his calves. If your tattoo is a problem they will let you know and help you take care of it. As long as it doesn't have inappropriate content it will probably be fine. You'll know for sure when you join; you might find out as soon as you go to MEPS, or if not then, you'll find out in boot camp (they inspect you there).
        "Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them." -anonymous

"Circumstance does not make the man; it reveals him to himself." -James Allen

Comment

You are probably good to go, but do yourself a favor and get it checked out at MEPS for a solid decision.
          Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
          35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

I am planning on getting a tattoo when I turn 15, just of an American Flag over my heart, and maybe the quote "Let him who desires peace prepare for war." right under it. Would this be acceptable? I don't see why it would be a problem, and I've still got another year and a-half, and by then I might change my mind, but just wondering.
            "As sure as God
            created black and white,
            what's done in the dark,
            will be brought to the light."
            -Johnny Cash

"Let him who desires peace prepare for war."

Comment

You should be fine.

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

I'm a newly ordained practitioner of Buddhism. I plan to get a tat of my dharma name on my arm. Is it acceptable to get a tat of religious value?
                "When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Religious tattoo shouldn't be a problem. We are more concerned about gang tats, vulgar/obscene tats, racist tats, etc. Especially good if you can keep it above the elbow.

John F. Kennedy

Comment

I know this might have already been answered in another thread, but even though it seems it may not be a problem, what are the regulations on tattoos in the inner forearm that would be visible in any for of shirt that is above the elbow? Also, does the Officer tattoo policy apply to Warrant Officers (for those just pondering the idea for way down the road)?

Comment

The tattoo policy is pretty simple: 1) 5 tattoos max, 2) no sex, drug, racial, gang 3) Nothing on the neck, or head, or face 4) since some tattoos may be larger than others, Navy Recruiting Command waiver shop will look at pictures of the tattoo and decide if it is only one tattoo, or should it be counted as several tattoos.

Before anyone comes in here and asks "but what if?" there is not what if. You are not special, we have rules and standards and if you are outside of those standards, you need to find something else to do. You do not determine what is acceptable and what is not, the navy does.

Warrant officers fall on a different category than your "officer tattoos" questions. These guys have been in the navy a while and they do not need to go to a selection board to gain entrance into the navy. They are already in the navy and their selection to CWO is based on their military record. Your question is more about the difference between apples and oranges.

I hope this helps!

Senior Chief Gio
                      Please "Private Message" me on this forum if you have questions. I will respond to you at my earliest convenience.

Former SEAL + SWCC Forum Moderator
                      U.S. Navy SEAL + SWCC Scout Team

T: 888-USN-SEAL

Comment

That answer is actually just what I was looking for, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by NCCS GIO View Post
                          The tattoo policy is pretty simple: 1) 5 tattoos max,
                          Is that 5 tattoos total throughout your entire body, or is that 5 tattoos visible in uniform?
                          Somewhere a true believer is training to kill us. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs; his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. He is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at night, he is home. He knows only the cause.

For this reason, we do not quit.

Comment

I want to get a tattoo before I go to bootcamp in Dec. I am in DEP right now. Am I allowed to get one or not.

Comment

Originally posted by maffuccisf View Post
                              I want to get a tattoo before I go to bootcamp in Dec. I am in DEP right now. Am I allowed to get one or not.
                              Yes you can, but read the thread next time.

Comment

Yes, I did search the forums, yes I did read the thread (including all of Senior Chief's posts):

Senior Chief, when you say, "
                                You can get the Tatt when you get into the Teams, but I highly recommend you not get any tats before that.
                                ", are you referring specifically to Special Warfare Operator tattoos or ANY tattoos whatsoever?

I ask this because I was interested in getting a Navy tattoo on either my chest or shoulder, but am hesitant because I'm not sure if this will ruin my chances of attempting to cross-rate to SO or not.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X