Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I Still Have A Chance To Become A Navy SEAL?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I Still Have A Chance To Become A Navy SEAL?

When I was 18-years old I stole from my employer and was charger with misdemeanor grand theft. The amount I was charged with stealing was roughly $1,300. I was sentenced to pay back my employer the amount I was charged with stealing and to complete 5 days of community service. I finished paying off my debt a couple of months ago and have been put on the court calendar for a hearing to get my charges dropped from my record. I do understand, however, that the military does not look at charges that have been dropped as "dropped charges"-the charges are still treated as if they never went away.
    I am now 20-years old and have a passion and dream of joining the Navy to become a Navy SEAL. Along with rigorous training and studying to be sure that I am ready to put up competitive PST and AFQT scores if I am given the opportunity, I have been speaking with my recruiter and have been trying to take all the right steps to turn the page to the next chapter of my life such as getting any medical records, filling out forms, getting all the information to my case, etc. While he has done his best to be real with me, and the reality isn't exactly optimistic because of the mistake I made, he said he would still do all that he can to put forth the requests to have me considered. My recruiter was the one who told me to get the charges dropped as soon as possible saying that would give me a better chance.
    Becoming a Navy SEAL is the only thing I am interested in doing and I am willing to do whatever it takes-even to the extent of speaking to someone to sell my case or writing a letter-anyting. I have changed and I want to prove to myself more than anyone else of that by stepping up and accomplishing my dreams. I know what I did was wrong and I take full responsibility, but with that being said I hate to think because of that one blemish I have on my record, I will never have a chance to redeem myself and live out my dream. I am not letting that one hiccup in my life define who I am as a person.
    I do look at my mistake as a youthful mistake and I believe second chances can be given. Do I have any chance of becoming a Navy SEAL given my circumstances, and if so what can I do and who should I talk to?

You might have a chance. However, it is very small. If you steal you are viewed as untrustworthy and unreliable. They will ask, how could your country and SEAL team trust you? Why should we believe you? Once you have these doubts in the mind of a recruiter it is very tough to remove them. I think the best idea would be to prove yourself in the fleet! Then get good reports and rank up. You will have a better chance that way! Best of luck! If any moderators come through and have a better answer feel free. HOOYAH!
    Ryan Johnson
    ryanj.vcoa@gmail.com

Comment

To be honest the problem there is this happened at age 18 you are an adult at that age legally speaking. I would just keep at your recruiter and get him to buy into you and maybe if you are lucky something can happen. There are plenty of candidates who have perfect records and the navy has the luxury to be very pick on the ones who get contracts now. good luck!

Comment

I have grown and matured a lot since that incident. I have repeatedly reflected upon my mistake and the magnitude of the consequences that came about because of it have become more apparent with each passing day. What I did was **** and foolish, but in the moment I wasn't thinking about how it would effect my future and now that it is jeopardizing my dream, the reality is hitting me even harder. While I was 18-years old and an adult in the eyes of the law, looking back I can see that I was in no means ready to be considered an adult by anyone. While that doesn't change the fact that I was an adult, I still look at what I did as immature and youthful. That's not to justify what I did, because I take full responsibility for what I did and in no way will I ever look anyone in the eye and tell them what I did can be justified, but at the same time it was a mistake and my only mistake. I never have done anything else to get in trouble with the law and certainly never will again. I just fear that even though that is my sole blemish, I will not be given a second chance to redeem myself. I know that I have learned from my mistake and have come a long way-I certainly will never go down that path again-but how do I prove this to anyone? Especially those who control my fate? I understand that it is ultimately up to me to figure that out, but is there any advice I can get on what I can do? I honestly don't even know where to begin.

Comment

If you are serious about this, enlist in the Navy, prove yourself -- which may take several years -- and then apply for a transfer:

http://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seals-e...eps.html#path2

In the meantime, do everything you can to prepare yourself mentally and physically. You are only 20 and have plenty of time.

I will tell you that the Navy does give second chances, and looks at the "whole person". There is not one person serving in the Navy who does not have a mistake in their past, or is not sitting next to someone who does. The key is what you learned, not repeating the mistake, and using what you learned to make you a better person. This mistake is still relatively fresh, and trust is earned, not given. You can prove yourself by enlisting and giving 110% to everything you do. There are still no "guarantees" you will get selected, but I can guarantee you definitely will have become a better person for your efforts.

Comment

I definitely agree with you-trust is earned and not give, just as well as nothing in this world should be handed to you. Becoming a Navy SEAL is my dream and is absolutely what I want to make a career of and dedicate my life to doing-I am more sure of this than I have been of anything else. I am willing to do whatever it takes to be given a shot at my dream and to prove that I am someone the Navy would want to develop into a SEAL. I have done my research and have read that it would be helpful to be prepared to speak for myself and sell myself, so to speak, because the Navy is going to question my integrity-as they should-and they're going to want to know why they should believe me and how my peers in the Navy can trust me. Also, I have read that writing a letter to my congressman for a recommendation can be beneficial as well. Are either one of these things true? Also, it does seem that most advice that I have gotten believe it would be unlikely for me to enlist and go straight for becoming a Navy SEAL-that I'll have to enlist and apply for a transfer as you've said. This is something I'm absolutely not opposed to. Like I said, whatever it takes to ultimately one day be given a shot at my dream. If I go this route, is there anything I should know? Any advice as to what to try and enlist as to put myself in the best position to make that transfer? I know trust is earned and you can't put a timetable on that, but at the same time I don't want to get too old-I know being a SEAL is a young man's job. Is there any amount of time I can expect to have to serve as something else in the Navy before I can be considered for a transfer? Also, when I initially take the ASVAB, do I need to make sure I score high enough initially for SO even though I probably won't be going into that right away, but to make sure later on I qualify for a transfer or is this nothing to worry about and more of something that can be taken care of later. Anyways, thank you for those of you, and anyone else who comment on this thread. I apologize for the lengthy posts, but I do want to be clear that the past is truly the past for me and something that I have learned and matured from and my mistakes have only effected me in a positive way but have not dictated the person I am today.

Comment

You still have a chance. I'm not in any units, but as far as legal issues go, a misdemeanor does not disqualify you, unless it's an illegal drug conviction. A conviction of a felony is a permanent disqualifier. If it's a misdemeanor drug conviction, such as misdemeanor simple possession of marijuana(7 grams or less in every state that I know of), then a time period after the conviction has to have gone by. If you have been in trouble with the police at all, one possible disqualifier regardless of severity of crime is a requirement which says you have to be free of the courts, which means:

1. You cannot be serving any form of probation or parole.

2. You have to have completely paid off any outstanding fines, fees, traffic tickets, or otherwise money that you owe to the United States as punishment for a crime that you've been convicted of.

3. You can't be prohibited from leaving any jurisdiction or state as punishment for a crime or condition of a bond.

If you have been in trouble with the police and the 3 numbered conditions are not met, then you are disqualified until you get free of the courts. That is why I always tell the kids, don't wait until you screw college up and drop out to get serious about joining the military. By then you might've gotten in some legal trouble. Police tend to be aggressive with possible military recruits, they have a certain look in their eye and they're held to a higher standard than your typical Jack & Jane.

Make sure you disclose any convictions with the military. They will look them up anyway(it's really not too hard for anyone that has an extra $50 or so on hand) and if you lied about it you could be convicted of a separate felony for lying to get into the military.

Comment

Working...
              X