SEAL age waiver or SWCC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEAL age waiver or SWCC

Good morning, all. So I've been training for the past couple of years, off and on as life continues to throw me where it needs me for the SEALs. Now that I'm 29, I have 3 months before my 30th and I'd like to obtain an age waiver before I hit the magical number. (Aware that one can not be given here on this forum) I contacted probably 6 or 7 recruiters in Denver and some say it's not possible and others say they just haven't seen anyone receive one yet. Tomorrow I go in to talk with a recruiter and he'll be calling the NSW office/base for me to speak with someone there for more information.

So my question is, is it actually possiblewith only 3 months? If not, would my SWCC be my best option?

Seeking knowledge before I get there.

Thanks in advanced!
    Last edited by NickRR1; 07-27-2017, 09:15 AM.

What's advertised on here: No one is getting an age waiver. If Michael Phelps posted perfect PST scores and out-swam a shark, they wouldn't give him an age waiver = the general perception. However, I think that kind of sentiment is put out on here simply to deter. I honestly doubt the fact that no one, absolutely no one, zero, zilch has obtained an age waiver recently.

Having said that, I'm sure it's extremely hard to get one. I would guess that all your qualifying test scores would have to be excellent. Having past criminal charges, or medical things like pins in your wrist because you broke it once upon a time probably reduces your chances to zero.

Good luck man, I'm "getting up there" too, so I understand your predicament. If it doesn't work, there's SWCC like you said, or, SF cutoff age is "be no older than 30" I believe, and most Air Force spec ops cut-off's are 39 years of age. All those guys are extremely badass.

Comment

Originally posted by tfranc View Post
      What's advertised on here: No one is getting an age waiver. If Michael Phelps posted perfect PST scores and out-swam a shark, they wouldn't give him an age waiver = the general perception. However, I think that kind of sentiment is put out on here simply to deter. I honestly doubt the fact that no one, absolutely no one, zero, zilch has obtained an age waiver recently.

Having said that, I'm sure it's extremely hard to get one. I would guess that all your qualifying test scores would have to be excellent. Having past criminal charges, or medical things like pins in your wrist because you broke it once upon a time probably reduces your chances to zero.

Good luck man, I'm "getting up there" too, so I understand your predicament. If it doesn't work, there's SWCC like you said, or, SF cutoff age is "be no older than 30" I believe, and most Air Force spec ops cut-off's are 39 years of age. All those guys are extremely badass.
      Exactly, nothing has ever deterred me from this accept my own self. I've had countless people laugh at the idea, but that's just metal weakness to me. My body remembers the numbers I used to put out and is getting back to in awesomely quickly. If driving history of tickets is a thing to worry about then I may be a little worried, but I was an "angel" and never any medical issues.

The only thing that confusses me about SWCC is, can you be 30 and still be good? It's only when you hit 31 that's the issue? I come from a long line of Navy fam, SEALs have been my dream since I could probably talk!

Thanks for the response.

Comment

• Roboscout 302
        Roboscout 302 commented
        Editing a comment
        If the age waiver process doesn't work, maybe you can try for Pararescue or Combat Control. Their age requirement is to 39 (if I'm not mistaking).

Originally posted by NickRR1 View Post

Exactly, nothing has ever deterred me from this accept my own self. I've had countless people laugh at the idea, but that's just metal weakness to me. My body remembers the numbers I used to put out and is getting back to in awesomely quickly. If driving history of tickets is a thing to worry about then I may be a little worried, but I was an "angel" and never any medical issues.

The only thing that confusses me about SWCC is, can you be 30 and still be good? It's only when you hit 31 that's the issue? I come from a long line of Navy fam, SEALs have been my dream since I could probably talk!

Thanks for the response.
      I think traffic tickets are fine. I'm fairly certain you don't need a waiver for misdemeanor charges.

I think the issue is service life. The Navy has determined that a 38 year old guy trying to become a SEAL isn't worth the investment. My opinion - 30 ain't sh*t. 30 is still quite young. I mean christ by the time you're 30, you're actually mature enough to handle most situations with a degree of sensibility that you just don't have when you're 18. Sure, you can teach a 20 year old kid to do x, y and z and put them in situations to exercise their potential to be mentally flexible, but having been both in the early and later halves of my 20's, you've got something in the later half that you just don't have as a 20 year old. And that's not a discredit to younger guys out there busting a**, they're incredibly capable, mentally tough men. But, they just don't have the experience as someone older. And if you're a young guy reading this, you'll know exactly what I mean by the time you hit 30. I guarantee it. Michael Jordan the basketball player, one of the greatest players of all time, when he won those 6 rings.. he was in his 30's. He was doing incredible feats of athleticism... in his 30's. Why? Because 30 is still young as hell. Sure, he's genetically gifted, but he's still getting his a** kicked every game, putting tremendous amounts of strain on his joints, working on the edge.

The oldest guy to ever go through BUD/S was 42 I believe, that was years ago - heard that from a podcast put out by retired SEAL Don Shipley. So, I say again, 30 aint sh*t. But the whole service life thing can make it tough.

Comment

• tfranc
        tfranc commented
        Editing a comment
        Just wanted to restate that I was not trying to put down younger guys going SEAL or SWCC. You younger guys are smart, talented, tough and capable as hell and anyone would be a fool not to see it. If you weren't, the Navy wouldn't want you. All I'm saying is that by the time you're 30 (I am personally not 30, but I'm closer to 30 than 20), you just get things that you didn't when you're 20. I just wanted to drive that home, because if I actually make it to the Teams, it will be an honor and a privilege to serve with any of you. Hooyah and keep kicking ***

Worst thing that happens is you give it your all, they say no waiver, and you go to SWCC and proceed to drop bodies at high speed. There's no hurt in going for it

Comment

NickRR1 Give em hell and get that waiver. Get your PST scores to optimum for Officer standards and see what they do.

Comment

NickRR1 I'm not sure this information will still be of value to you, but thought I'd share my experience, if not for others searching for information on age waivers. I was told by several recruiters that they are no longer offering age waivers for SEAL contracts and my research all but confirmed that. I was planning on going SWCC as a plan B, but could have avoided some hesitation had I known that obtaining an age waiver is a possibility. I was swimming at the YMCA and a kid recognized my Combat Side Stroke. We got to talking and I learned that he trained with a 29 year old that recently had an age waiver approved. Once in the Delayed Entry Program, I expressed my interest in becoming a SEAL to the NSW mentor overseeing the boat crew workouts. I did fairly well on my first PST (Swim-9:20, push-96, sit-84, pull-21, run-8:40 ... for those looking for a benchmark) and received an age waiver that same week. If you really want to have the opportunity to be a SEAL, I would not be deterred by what the recruiters have to tell you and think you'd find that the NSW mentors are more willing to entertain the prospect with you after you've shown some commitment by first enlisting. In the worst case, you could still shoot for SWCC or EOD which are admirable occupations.

Comment

Working...
          X