Dual citizenship issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual citizenship issue

So basically I want to become a Swcc and I have a couple of big issues and the biggest one isn't allowing me to even take the first step into this journey. I'm a Korean-American and currently holding a dual citizenship. There is a bogus law in Korea that basically doesn't allow a citizen to renounce their citizenship once they pass 18 years of age. My father tried to renounce it before I turned 18, but there was another fine print detail that 90% of the citizens don't know which basically says you have to give up your citizenship before march of your 18th year. My father went to the embassy sometime during may right before I turned 18 and they basically told him they can't help me. Right now I'm 19 and turning 20 in December and till now I haven't been able to follow this dream of mine. I'm wondering if the admins know of cases like mine and if people were able to somehow get around this issue. I've heard that if I can get a official letter from someone in the higher ranks from the US military to the Korean government that I may be able to get a exemption around this law. I really need help as I am so determined to become a swcc. After I wasn't able to give up my citizenship my parents convinced me to just go to a University and have a regular job and I agreed. However, right after graduation I told my parents that I'm going to become a swcc no matter what and that if I have to, I'll finish my stupid 2 years in the Korean military and join the US navy, but I really really don't want to do that and if I have no other choice that's how determined I am to get a shot at becoming a swcc. Any helpful tips or stories of similar situations would be appreciated and if one of the admins can comment I would be blessed. Thanks in advance guys.

Originally posted by Igotissues View Post
    So basically I want to become a Swcc and I have a couple of big issues and the biggest one isn't allowing me to even take the first step into this journey. I'm a Korean-American and currently holding a dual citizenship. There is a bogus law in Korea that basically doesn't allow a citizen to renounce their citizenship once they pass 18 years of age. My father tried to renounce it before I turned 18, but there was another fine print detail that 90% of the citizens don't know which basically says you have to give up your citizenship before march of your 18th year. My father went to the embassy sometime during may right before I turned 18 and they basically told him they can't help me. Right now I'm 19 and turning 20 in December and till now I haven't been able to follow this dream of mine. I'm wondering if the admins know of cases like mine and if people were able to somehow get around this issue. I've heard that if I can get a official letter from someone in the higher ranks from the US military to the Korean government that I may be able to get a exemption around this law. I really need help as I am so determined to become a swcc. After I wasn't able to give up my citizenship my parents convinced me to just go to a University and have a regular job and I agreed. However, right after graduation I told my parents that I'm going to become a swcc no matter what and that if I have to, I'll finish my stupid 2 years in the Korean military and join the US navy, but I really really don't want to do that and if I have no other choice that's how determined I am to get a shot at becoming a swcc. Any helpful tips or stories of similar situations would be appreciated and if one of the admins can comment I would be blessed. Thanks in advance guys.
    I would try DM'ing one of the mods or administrators. or contact an immigration lawyer... if you can get a referral to one they might do pro bono...

edit: from an reddit post i read this:

"When a Korean citizen acquires a citizenship from a different country, Korean citizenship becomes void automatically. So, when I obtained my Canadian citizenship this July, my Korean citizenship became void. All I had to do was to report my "voidness" to the embassy."

best best would be what i put above.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyoneoption View Post

I would try DM'ing one of the mods or administrators. or contact an immigration lawyer... if you can get a referral to one they might do pro bono...

edit: from an reddit post i read this:

"When a Korean citizen acquires a citizenship from a different country, Korean citizenship becomes void automatically. So, when I obtained my Canadian citizenship this July, my Korean citizenship became void. All I had to do was to report my "voidness" to the embassy."

best best would be what i put above.
      So I read that reddit post as well, but apparently that's not possible for me because I was american born and Korean citizen as soon as I was born. I tried to dm some mods and admins yet the site won't let me for some reason. I click private message and I get no box to write a message like before. Do you think you can relay a quick message for me to Mr. Scott Williams? Just put this link and say help me please or something.

Comment

You must renounce all non-American citizenry prior to being passed for any security clearances. I've even written a post regarding this issue. Spoken from experience
        "Lord, let me not prove unworthy of my brothers."

"Ace Ventura: If you were me, then I'd be you, and I'd use *your* body to get to the top. You can't stop me no matter who you are!"

“Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” - Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
        X