Mental health waiver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mental health waiver

Here's my story: I want to be a SEAL, but approximately 5 years ago I had been taken to a counselor for problems with school and they prescribed be medication for depression and Adderall as well(I took them for about a month, neither of which I still take and I am not on any other medications.) About a year ago I got way too drunk and ended up getting admitted to a hospital/behavioral ward because they thought I was on drugs and acting weird(I do not do drugs and probably drink less than 5 times a year). These are the only things in my history that I'm concerned about. My questions are: do I have a chance of getting a Top Secret clearance with a waiver or am I screwed? And if I'm screwed if I try a waiver, how well would I fare just not disclosing it(be realistic, I don't care if it's crooked or not, I want to be a SEAL and I'll do what's necessary to make that happen).

Your best bet is to disclose everything on the SF86 form. Lying on that document is one of the quickest ways to be denied a clearance. You will be given a section to explain any incidents you disclose. As far as a waiver for Adderall or medication goes, I am not very familiar with them, but I have heard of waivers being accepted for past use, given you no longer need it and you provide a statement along with the waiver. Your recruiter could tell you more about the requirements than I could. Once again, I can’t stress enough, do not lie or cover up past incidents on the SF86 form. Generally, these types of incidents are forgivable, given they are isolated and you don’t have a very colorful history elsewhere. I hope this was helpful to you, and I welcome anyone to correct me if I am wrong on this matter. Best of luck.

Comment

Working...
    X