Announcement

Collapse

Official Podcast Now Posted!

The Official Navy SEAL & SWCC podcast, "The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday", is now posted in the Downloads section https://www.sealswcc.com/navy-seal-podcast.html. Hear from real, active duty Navy SEALs, SWCC, and key support staff from NSW as they talk training, requirements, ethos, and more. Hooyah!
See more
See less

Color vision waiver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color vision waiver

On May 22, 2018 a change was made in MANMED Section 15-105 allowing color vision waivers for all spec ops programs except for EOD. Can an admin please provide me with or direct me to credible information on what the standards are for obtaining a color vision waiver for SO?

Thanks.

Fortunately that's me, very mild. Assuming one passes at a private doc and secures a waiver, will that waiver be vailid if you also fail to pass the test at RTC?

Comment

Just to clarify, does that mean one can obtain a waiver after failing at MEPS, go to RTC and still be DQ'd for failing despite being granted a waiver before shipping?

Comment

I just spoke on the phone with a mentor who contacted N3M. He informed me, per his conversation with N3M, that the May 22, 2018 change (Change 164 Section 15-105) that says color vision is now waiverable for all spec war communities except EOD is ONLY applicable to Active Duty personnel, not those looking to enlist. According to him, there are no options for waivers or exceptions to policy for color deficiency for those looking to enlist SO or other spec war programs.

If possible, I would appreciate if an admin could confirm that the information I was provided is correct.

Comment

FYI you spoke with the coordinator today not the mentor. I’d know if you’d spoken with me today He provided accurate info as well.
          Please "Private Message" me on this forum if you have questions. I will respond to you at my earliest convenience.

SEAL + SWCC Forum Moderator
          U.S. Navy SEAL + SWCC Scout Team

T: 888-USN-SEAL
          2000 Trident Way, Building #401
          San Diego, CA 92155

Comment

Got it. Apologies for that error and thanks for responding. At the risk of beating a dead horse, this means you either pass the PIP at MEPS and RTC, or bust, correct?

Second, any possibility of determining which version of the PIP is offered at RTC? I know it's different than what MEPS uses, and I would like to mitigate the chance of passing at MEPS, only to show up at RTC, fail that booklet, and losing my contract. Is that information that can be provided to a candidate?

Thanks so much for your attention. You've consistently responded to my posts and it means a lot.

Comment

The MANMED article applies to all candidates, whether in service or new recruits. That said, the N3M is the final chop on all waiver requests of this type. As far as tests at boot, they supersede anything done at MEPS. A failure there means you could be sent home. We discussed the issue with a Chief Corpsman at RTC during one of our podcast episodes, "Recruit Health". You can listen to that podcast here on this site.
              Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
              35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

Thanks for responding. At this point I'll connect with a recruiter so I can get down to MEPS and take the test. Until then, everything is a hypothetical. I understand this may seem like me splitting hairs when I'm asking these questions, but the recruiter I spoke on the phone with was convinced that Change 164 didn't exist. The coordinator was generous enough to contact (I believe) N3M, who told him that the MANMED article does not apply to new candidates. You say it does.

I'm hoping you can appreciate my confusion, as two very credible sources (you and the coordinator) are telling me two different things. I fully understand that the RTC doc overrides everything, and even if one were to fail at MEPS and obtain a waiver or exception to policy, that doesn't guarantee anything at RTC. That being said, my only objective is to go into this process with the correct information. So if there is in fact the possibility (even a remote one) of obtaining an exception to policy or waiver for color deficiency, I'm very interested in knowing what that standard is for obtaining it.

Thanks for all you do, and sorry for being a pain. Just trying to make informed decisions.

Best,
                Sam

Comment

Send me an email, I just completed a conference call with NRC and can give you the info from the source
                  Please "Private Message" me on this forum if you have questions. I will respond to you at my earliest convenience.

SEAL + SWCC Forum Moderator
                  U.S. Navy SEAL + SWCC Scout Team

T: 888-USN-SEAL
                  2000 Trident Way, Building #401
                  San Diego, CA 92155

Comment

Working...
                  X