moral waiver question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moral waiver question

Hey everyone, new here and was hoping someone could help me answer this question. I’ve searched the forum and can’t seem to find an answer that pertains to my particular situation . Anyways when I was 18 I was arrested for a false report (mis b) reckless conduct(felony b) and recieving stolen property (felony a). During my grand jury indictment both felony charges were thrown out by the judge because there was no evidence. So the charges were dropped completely with no conditions. I did plead guilty to the false report. What my recruiter is telling me is that even though the felony was dropped completely with no adverse injunction or conviction I still need a felony waiver and that the navy isn’t offering any at the moment so I have to play a waiting game. Can anyone help me? is this correct or is there more that can be done?

I’m 25 now and also now in very involved with my community by volunteer coaching youth wrestling, high school wrestling, and Brazilian jiu jitsu. I can get letters of recommendation from a lot of community leaders in my area one being a federal court judge and the other an ex state senator. I’m not sure if this helps but hopefully someone can lead me in the right direction.

You need to be convicted of a crime for the navy to require a waiver. That being said, if you're charged with the crime and it's dropped with conditions then you're guilty of the crime (in the navy's eyes).

You will be required to get a waiver for the False Report.

Recruiting guidelines change regularly, if you feel like your recruiter is wrong or unwilling to work with you then contact another recruiter.

Comment

Originally posted by b16fy View Post
      You need to be convicted of a crime for the navy to require a waiver. That being said, if you're charged with the crime and it's dropped with conditions then you're guilty of the crime (in the navy's eyes).

You will be required to get a waiver for the False Report.

Recruiting guidelines change regularly, if you feel like your recruiter is wrong or unwilling to work with you then contact another recruiter.
      thanks for the response

thats the impression i was under while i do understand i need a waiver for the misdomenor the felony charges were dropped with no conditions or finding of guilt, a grand jury threw them out. anyways i spoke with all the recruiters in that office and they seem to be on the same page when i comes to saying i need a waiver even for the initial charges. maybe i should try speaking to a recriuter in another office? or someone higher up in the chain of command. The only problem i havent been able to find any contact informtion for someone higher up.

Comment

Like I said before if you are proven not-guilty (no deal, no conviction, no jail time), then you do not need a felony waiver. I would suspect that your recruiters are looking at your case subjectively, and whatever they're gathering from you personally they do not like. It's the recruiters job to bar enlistment from people with moral and social habits that would adversely affect unit morale and cohesiveness.

Try a different recruiting station, be respectful, dress/groom well, be responsible, and take ownership of your situation. The Navy knows that although you were not convicted, your social habits made you suspect, therefore leading to an arrest. All recruiters want to see is that you've owned that, made changes, and are moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by b16fy View Post
          Like I said before if you are proven not-guilty (no deal, no conviction, no jail time), then you do not need a felony waiver. I would suspect that your recruiters are looking at your case subjectively, and whatever they're gathering from you personally they do not like. It's the recruiters job to bar enlistment from people with moral and social habits that would adversely affect unit morale and cohesiveness.

Try a different recruiting station, be respectful, dress/groom well, be responsible, and take ownership of your situation. The Navy knows that although you were not convicted, your social habits made you suspect, therefore leading to an arrest. All recruiters want to see is that you've owned that, made changes, and are moving forward.
          Thank you, I appreciate the help. I always go in with a good attitude, hair freshly cut, and a shave I do my best to not give them a reason to look down on me cause of an arrest when I was 18. I think the recruiter was just incorrect and may be confused cause I sent her some things and she seemed very admit that I need a waiver for the felonies and she will contact me when they’re offering felony waivers, she’s also new to recruiting as far as I know. But anyways I reached out to the New England division today and spoke to a senior chief who told me I do not need a waiver for the felonies. He took my name and number and is going to get me in contact with another recruiter.

Comment

Pursue another recruiter if you think that helps. There is no waiver for felonies because they disqualify you, period. Waivers are only available for misdemeanors. In your case, only the false report misdemeanor should be considered.
            Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
            35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

• S_melanson123
              S_melanson123 commented
              Editing a comment
              What would you consider the best course of action? I contacted my original recruiter by text message sending her some info I found saying I would not need a waiver for the dismissed felonies she still insisted that I would need one and had me talk to someone else her office who also said the same. After that I contacted NRD Boston spoke with a senior chief who let me know that what they were saying is incorrect(if my charges were complete dismissed) and would put me in contact with another recruiter it’s only been 24 for hours but I haven’t heard anything. Should I contact my original recruiter let her know I spoke to someone higher up in the chain of command who told me that I do not need a felony waiver or do I wait to see if another recruiter contacts me? I have a friend who I work out with every morning and he just got his SO contract yesterday I’d like to try and get in the same class with him if possible and would like to get the ball rolling. But I also don’t wanna frustrated the recruiters and make them not interested in helping me. Thanks for you reply and any input.

Do as the Senior Chief suggests and ask him for another recruiter.
            Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
            35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

Working...
            X