Moral Waiver / Eyesight Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moral Waiver / Eyesight Question

I was arrested over 18 months ago for a DWI (class b misdemeanor) just a few months after graduating from college. Over the last 18 months, I have been working with my attorney to combat the charge. Well after 18 months, 5 different trial delays and 4 different prosecutors we've finally managed to have the whole case dropped and the charge dismissed entirely! From what I understand, I'll still require a "moral waiver" because the arrest will still show up on my record even though the case has been dismissed. Is this correct?
    Also, unrelated to the arrest, I've worn contacts since I was 12 (L:-4.25; R:-3.50) so I would definitely require some form of corrective surgery. How do these combined things stack up? Am I just going to be told no? I've super eager and pumped to pursue this path but don't know if the forces that be will allow it.

I'm a former college athlete with a strong personal moral and ethical code who has the strong desire to serve this great country that has allowed me so many opportunities to this point in my life! Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

From what I understand since I’m dealing with the same thing if it was completely dropped then you don’t need a waiver. if it was dropped with any kind of condition such as AA classes, restitution, suspended license ect that’s basically consider the same as guilty and you would require a waiver. check out my post from a couple days ago. Either way you still have to disclose it to your recruiter being the documentation and it may need to be reviewed.

Comment

• SavageRaptor5
      SavageRaptor5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah that's what my understanding is as well. Even though the criminal charge has been dropped, I still had the civil side of things to deal with at the beginning, as such my license was suspended last year. All of the civil part is long in the past now and I am just looking forward to finally getting to move on!

My eye sight is what I think will be the bigger problem, hoping for the best!
      For now I'm just working on really getting into shape!

• S_melanson123
      S_melanson123 commented
      Editing a comment
      I would contact a recruiter and see what they say I know with a dwi they suspend your license automatically but if you had it dismissed in court then you should be alright as far as I know. I’m very new to This process and am still Dealing with my own problem with it! Best of luck to you!

• SavageRaptor5
      SavageRaptor5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, that's what I'm going to do! Just wanted to try to get a feel for what I'm going to be facing! Good luck with all of your stuff man! Hopefully, we'll see each other out there!

I'm confused, you were charged with a DWI and lost your license? That sounds like a conviction, but I also understand that DUI/DWI might have that automatic stipulation. Did your attorney appeal the process to have it reversed?

Altogether, if your case was dropped unconditionally, then you're in the clear. This means you paid no fines, and had no court ordered actions that needed to be taken. (license suspension served, community service, etc.)

Comment

• SavageRaptor5
      SavageRaptor5 commented
      Editing a comment
      With a DWI there are two processes happening at the same time. There's the civil case (traffic violation) and the criminal case (misdemeanor charge). In civil court, you are essentially guilty unless proven innocent and so there is really nothing that can be done especially if all the results are not back yet. Not to mention that a DWI automatically suspends your license starting from the moment of the arrest, which I appealed. However, due to this civil court nature, I lost in civil court and had to have my license suspended (no different than any other "major" traffic violation), but the criminal charges against me, the ones saying whether or not the county believes I committed the actual crime or not, have been completely dismissed.

• b16fy
      b16fy commented
      Editing a comment
      You're good then. Get Lasik/Prk and apply.

• SavageRaptor5
      SavageRaptor5 commented
      Editing a comment
      I appreciate your input! I've gotta talk with the recruiter about my options for lasik vs prk and then get the application rolling!
Working...
X