Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going in after NUC school. How to get to BUDs as an officer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going in after NUC school. How to get to BUDs as an officer.

2019-02-06
    I'm in high school. I enlisted back in Aug. of 2018. I passed the ASVAB and the NUC test and my PST scores at the moment are 72 for pushups and situps, 11 pullups, 9m:58s on my 1.5 mi. run, and 10m:57s on my 500 yds. swim. Now that I'm in the program, I'm planning to use it in order to gain a degree and go into BUD's as an officer. However, I don't know how to get from point A to B or even the severity of the struggle it may be (just hearing others talk about it) to get out of the NUC program altogether in order to join BUDs. Altogether I still have about 4 years I can still be training to get my scores even higher as I'm in NUC school so I'm not too awfully worried about my PST Officer scores at all.

All comments are welcomed,
    Thank You.

Do you mean nuke?

Comment

• Kamaron Swain
      Kamaron Swain commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. NUC is the rate so I typically just refer to my job as "NUC." Sorry for the confusion.

Originally posted by Kamaron Swain View Post
    2019-02-06
    I'm in high school. I enlisted back in Aug. of 2018.
    So you're in DEP, do you have a ship date?

Comment

• Kamaron Swain
      Kamaron Swain commented
      Editing a comment
      July, 09 of this year (2019).

I'm not sure how officer programs work, and what the needs are. You can reach out to the OCM directly to clarify, or talk to a spec war mentor. I believe SOAS also has it's own community manager, but that will be your due diligence to conduct. I'll let Scott Williams comment on that one.

As a rule of thumb if you want to be a seal enter the navy with a challenge contract. You can easily go to a 4-year uni, then pick up a challenge contract, do a couple tours then apply to SOAS. I can tell you that if you go the nuke enlisted route, you will not be able to lateral transfer until you're up for re-enlistment. Then at that time they're going to bait you into Nuke with a sizable re-enlistment bonus. At re-enlistment time you will also be having trouble with time-in-service requirements to go to BUDs. Alas, most things are waiver-able so if you have the drive and rapport within your community you may be able to make it work.

In total everything besides taking a challenge contract is roulette.

Comment

You may consult our SOAS expert, Andrew Dow, in the Officer sub forum. b16fy is essentially correct. You will never leave the nuke community once you're in, and it's far easier to obtain a SEAL contract or apply for SEAL officer directly rather than go through all of these machinations.
      Navy SEAL & SWCC Scout Team

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy
      35th President of U.S. 1961-1963 (1917 - 1963)

Comment

By the way, NUC is not a rate, it is a community of ratings. You're probably looking at Machinist's Mate, or Electrician's Mate, etc. They are all snipe rates, i.e., engineers.

"The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

So Scott Williams, how does the challenge contract work because that is something new to me. Also, I've heard about some nuke officers getting into BUDs so my question is: Is it HARD to get into buds straight out of Nuke, OR is it IMPOSSIBLE to get into buds straight out of Nuke?

My inevitable goal is definitely SEAL over NUKE, by far. My two main reasons for going through the Nuke Program was 1. to become an officer while trying to get into BUDs through officer school. and 2. To give my body more time to slow down my metabolism with my age so I can bulk up just enough so I can do more reps for my PST.

If stopping my NUKE contract would be better, as I don't ship till July 2019, and continuing my SEAL contract would be better and easier and then maybe commission to be an officer later, then I'll do it that way. I've been talking to my recruiters a lot about getting out of Nuke as soon as I get my degree and become an officer and try my hardest to get into BUDs through the officer training that's offered through the Nuke program.

At this point I'm questioning if my recruiters are being honest with me about the whole Nuke > officer > choosing SEAL while in officer school > getting to BUDs: if that process is true or even realistic.

Comment

Nuke officers can lateral to the SEAL community if the nuke community manager agrees and the candidate meets the standards. This is highly unusual. Impossible, no. Usually the nuke officers we do get failed out of nuke school and are therefore eligible for another warfare community. It would be simpler to apply for SEAL officer now rather than later. It would be simpler still to enlist with an SO contract (see this website for details on requirements and application steps) and then apply for SEAL officer after you've done a tour with the teams.
            Recruiters want you to go nuke because it is THEIR highest priority. You must decide what your priority is and then get after it.

John F. Kennedy

Comment

Working...
            X