tips on preventing shin splints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: tips on preventing shin splints

Thanks for sharing, rescue810, good stuff in there.
    "Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them." -anonymous

"Circumstance does not make the man; it reveals him to himself." -James Allen

Comment

Hey I know this has been beat to death, but my miracle shin splint cure was my running form. I thought you could just go out and run, but that's not the case, it needs to be controlled. I started focusing more on the heel first movement, making sure to lift my toes up to the sky during my stride, and I noticed my entire leg was more engaged. My knees were naturally coming up when I did this and I ended the run with no shin splints, or pain of any kind. I would glance down every couple hundred feet to make sure my form was good for a stride or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Solid View Post
        Hey I know this has been beat to death, but my miracle shin splint cure was my running form. I thought you could just go out and run, but that's not the case, it needs to be controlled. I started focusing more on the heel first movement, making sure to lift my toes up to the sky during my stride, and I noticed my entire leg was more engaged. My knees were naturally coming up when I did this and I ended the run with no shin splints, or pain of any kind. I would glance down every couple hundred feet to make sure my form was good for a stride or two.
        Your shin splint cure is to change your running form and keep running. How does more abuse to your shins help with shin splints. Solid you really need to read an entire post before you write something like this. The only thing that comes from running with shin splints is stress fractures. But maybe you're just different than the rest of us mortals. Train smarter.

Comment

What my coach told me to do was run on the balls of my feet, that seemed to help me.

Comment

Calf stretch, shin splints are just pain from an over stressed bone. A calf muscle that is too tight will worsen the pain. Calf stretch for four minutes on each leg after a run. Focus on deep muscle stretches that get the top of the leg and very shallow muscle stretches that get the connection to the ankle.

Comment

Originally posted by Solid View Post
              I actually agree with this completely. Although the shin splints will take much longer to heal, I don't see where guys in our particular situation have 2 or 3 weeks to take off from running. And a lot of guys just take time off and go right back to running the same old way and who woulda thought those dang shin splints cane right on back.. I had shin splints a couple months ago and simply changed shoes for a little more arch support, switched %90 of my running to a track, iced after every run and avoided sprints. It took just about a month for them to completely heal but during that time is when I got contracted. I also started doing a lot of finning at that time which I believed helped by loosing up the ankles as well as strengthening the shin.

Maybe I'm wrong too but I've never taken time off for shin splints..

Comment

I struggled with recurrent shin splints for months. I'd start slow, just doing two miles every other day, explicitly out of fear of shin splints, and wouldn't you know it, two weeks later I'd have them. So I'd take a week or two off. The process merely repeated. I did buy a much better pair of running shoes, buy they barely changed the result. It wasn't till I asked a knowledgeable runner to evaluate my mechanics that the problem was identified.

I had been running with my toes pointed out. I seemed to stand that way relaxed, and the sandal style foot wear I often sport encourages that posture. Running with the toes slightly pointed out causes your foot to roll slightly to the inside under load when you push off, putting undo strain repeatedly on the tissue on the inside of your shins. Personally running like this also made me overly rely on dorsiflexion.

Since becoming aware of this, I'm simply always conscious of my form, making sure the toes are pointed straight forward. After just a week off the pain was gone and I was able to healthily improve my run times and distances with no trouble. I am aware this issue has been beat to death, but figured since it is such a persistent problem for many that any insight may be valued. Obviously this mechanical correction applied to the specific fault in my own personal gait, but changing something that simple made all the difference for me. If shin splints are a recurrent problem for you, you might unknowingly be committing the same error I was or potentially be making a different foundational error in your running mechanics. I know how frustrating this problem can be, and you might find it worthwhile to have your own gait evaluated by someone knowledgeable. I thought my own experiences may prove valuable to someone browsing this forum for shin splint info, and may save you some frustration and valuable time.

Comment

I struggled with recurrent shin splints for months. I'd start slow, just doing two miles every other day, explicitly out of fear of shin splints, and wouldn't you know it, two weeks later I'd have them. So I'd take a week or two off. The process merely repeated. I did buy a much better pair of running shoes, buy they barely changed the result. It wasn't till I asked a knowledgeable runner to evaluate my mechanics that the problem was identified.

I had been running with my toes pointed out. I seemed to stand that way relaxed, and the sandal style foot wear I often sport encourages that posture. Running with the toes slightly pointed out causes your foot to roll slightly to the inside under load when you push off, putting undo strain repeatedly on the tissue on the inside of your shins. Personally running like this also made me overly rely on dorsiflexion.

Since becoming aware of this, I'm simply always conscious of my form, making sure the toes are pointed straight forward. After just a week off the pain was gone and I was able to healthily improve my run times and distances with no trouble. I am aware this issue has been beat to death, but figured since it is such a persistent problem for many that any insight may be valued. Obviously this mechanical correction applied to the specific fault in my own personal gait, but changing something that simple made all the difference for me. If shin splints are a recurrent problem for you, you might unknowingly be committing the same error I was or potentially be making a different foundational error in your running mechanics. I know how frustrating this problem can be, and you might find it worthwhile to have your own gait evaluated by someone knowledgeable. I thought my own experiences may prove valuable to someone browsing this forum for shin splint info, and may save you some frustration and valuable time.

Comment

Don't heel strike

Comment

Working...
                    X